Getting a horse gelded

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizze98765

Reaction score
We have a stallion that we got years ago to breed, but never ended up using. He is good friends with his gelding pasturemate, but since we aren't going to breed him we've decided to geld him so the two of them can join the rest of the horses. We've only had big horses that were already gelded or mini girls, so is there a certain time that you have to geld them? He's about 6 so I know that's out of the ordinary already, but I vaguely remember a vet once saying that there were certain times of the year they should/shouldn't be gelded. I think it was because of the flies and a fresh incision. Can someone shed some light on this please?? Thanks!

My vet likes to do them around here after the worst of the mud is gone and before the flies show up, or when the ground will be frozen a while, such as late Winter as long as the horse can get out and run around a lot in dry footing w/out very many flies.

Late Fall is good around here, too, after the first frost but before the rains.

Liz

We have always gelded our horses, big and small, according to the astrological charts. We have never had any complications or bleeding problems. The next days best for castrations are September 5th and 6th.

I don't know where you're located, but here in NW Oregon, early September is still summer, with too many flies.

I'd also add to do it before it gets too cold and wet, as hosing down the incision helps to minimize swelling, but neither of you will appreciate this if its too cold!

Another reason to choose halfway decent weather is you will want to trot him every day (some vets say walking is fine, but ours insisted upon trotting (I think 10 minutes daily, plus warmup and cool down)

I had a breeding stallion gelded at 9 years old and he did fine. It just took him longer to calm down and realize he was a gelding; like 18 months. But I have read if they have been breeding it takes 2 months for every year old before they realize they are a gelding so he fit the table.

Well he is older and has some studly behavior around his mares, but one reason we didn't breed him was because it was too much of a pain to help him "figure it out"! So he's never actually bred so I thought that might help in the process. So it is best to wait until the flies are gone and before winter gets here?

Look in the Farmers Almanac for "best" days - don't know that they say why, but lots of farmers and others abide by and have for years. Best when done at a time the flies aren't so bad and weather is good enough to get them out for exercise. If he will get out and move on his own, that's good too - my vet says stall them the first day and then as much exercise as they want. I usually turn them out after the first day or so, and if they don't move around much on their own we do forced exercise. You shouldn't have any real problems because of his age

Jan

An old timer told me once "It is never to hot to geld a bull....and never to cool to geld a horse."

I asked what he meant by that. He said those darn bulls can and need to be gelded anytime you can....a horse...best to do it when its not too hot and flies were real bad. lol

I find older horses settle better than colts- although the tiny foals are best of all.

I geld anytime my Vet will do it.

I ring and he says Yes or No that seems fair enough to me, so I would call in and see what they say, after all, for all my saying always question,never accept, my Vet has gelded a lot more horses than I have!!!
default_yes.gif
:

I also never walk, run, lunge, hose or anything at all.

I turn them out with a quiet friend and I leave them alone.

Of course they are checked every day, two or three times but, unless it REALLY swells I leave it alone.

I do not give antibiotics, other than those administered by the Vet.

I do have a Tetanus booster but it is bad in my area so it is well worth it.

I never stall a newly gelded horse they are alwasy left out only they have recovered form the anaesthetic, and we always geld out of the grass, not in a stall on straw.

Ring your Vet, s/he will tell what they want to do.
default_yes.gif
:

I am gelding my driving horse so I don't have to put up with his nonsense and I have already told him he is dying a virgin (meaning I am not going to ever breed him). I will wait until after the first good frost and the flies are gone, also have to wait until after the AMHR nationals (should be before a frost here in Ohio anyway). First day I can get er done, it'll be done. :aktion033:

He is stalled so he will stay in after, but will be out for some forced exercise daily, and will be hosed if he swells or gets messy. Having had one heal up too quickly and get infected, we always make sure they move. Just walking the first day, but then trotting in the round pen after that.

If they heal too fast, the vet has to come back out and open the wound back up. Nasty, and believe me, the horse will NOT appreciate it.

Looking forward to being able to relax with him as a gelding instead of having to be on guard all the time!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back