Getting a colt to eat grain...............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLC Stables

Reaction score
I have a new QH colt (that was mentioned in a previous post) he shows NO interest, and truly put it in his mouth he just drops it out, in grain, LOVES hay but no grain.

How can I get this guy to start eating his grain and supplements?

Rob, I've had that problem with a couple as well that I got in not so good shape, no "life" to them and very ho-hum about eating ...........what I use is a b-12 complex; injectable IM once daily usually for a week or so, until they get a good appetite.

We have a starved mini that was like that - she would gobble up hay but didn't really want grain. I wouldn't sweat not eating the grain right now as long as he is consistently eating his hay. We started to soak Cocoa's grain and found that she eats it much more readily now but we can't put hay out while she is eating her grain or she will walk away from the grain to eat hay.

fast track is also good for increasing appetite and you can get it in a paste. Have you tried equine jr? this is the only grain i have never had any horse not eat. good luck with your new guy

I will get some of the paste on its way, at least to get the gut flora going, I can't get him to eat the pro bios powder if he won't eat grain, and I can't seem to find the paste here WEIRD.

So I will get him going, and reading some articles, thanks BECKY and others, I think I am going to wait on the grain.

I did want to add that if you are feeding a good quality of Alfalfa hay there really is no need for grain at this time... My minis will literally turn thier noses up at grain to eat it....only returning to the grain when the hay is gone....

You might want to try giving him some red cell for a little bit and then seeing if that along with good hay increases his appetite it can sometimes take awhile

Rob, alot of horses that have never been given grain, especially young horses, don't know what grain is. They don't understand the smell or texture of it. You can buy the Probios paste for cattle and it is the exact same stuff as the equine. Only it is blue in color, but if you compare the label it is the same ingredients. I would just keep putting it in front of him in small quantities and he will eventually start eating it, just takes some time. Keep it in front of him all day, change it if it gets stale, but he will start eating it. I have babies come in all the time that don't know what it is, just because mom never got it and they never learned to eat it. Alot of Sundance farm are like that. It takes them time to learn to eat it. Careful on the fast track, as it can cause diarrhea.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back