Gestation dates

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
I bought my mare already in foal and was told she was bred August 8, 9, 10, 2009.

I have read so many discrepancies on a mini horses gestation comapared to a large horse.

Anywhere from basing it on 320 days to 345 days. Obviously I know it can range either direction

of the actual due date but I am curious to hear from the experts here. She is 28" and this is atleast her second foal if not third (not entirely sure of her history). She was purchased from the previous owner already in foal also and they did not know the breeding date so no one knows what the gestation of her previous pregnancies were.

How long have your mares gestations been so far ?

How many days do you base their gestation on between 300 and 400 (lol) ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Most of the breeders on here use the 335 day rule. But it can vary wildly. You can search the forums to find many, many posts on the subject. Later in the day I am sure lots of people with more experience will post. My first bred mare is now at day 340 today, her first foal last year, a colt, she foaled on day 342. She still has a very small bag, belly finally dropped, but she still doesn't have the definite V shape to the belly, or loose sagging croup.

I use 335 days as my mare's due date ,but keep good records each year on foaling signs and how many days each mare goes. I start watching at 300 days . I have one mare who foals at 305 days each year. Most of mine go between 320 and 335 days. This year I had two mares that waited for 349 and 351 days. Start watching a little before 300 days check her bag in the morning and evening so you can really know when things are changing. Good Luck with your mare. I hope she foals easily for you.

We have a chart for all our bred mares that had their last day bred, when they are 300 days preg., when they are 320 days and when they are 340 days.

Most of my mares foal between 320 and 340 BUT we had a 308 last year and a 363 day this year.

I just cannot get my mares to read the books about when they are "suppose" to foal!

I use 330 as my estimated date but I start daily checks around 290 days and day/night checks starting at 300.. I have one mare who is 309 and one who is 306 this year, both bagging up nicely and showing signs of going within the next week or two.. The earliest foal I have had was 312 days, latest was 356..

With those breeding dates I'd put your mare "due" (based on 330) on July 6th, putting her at 272 days along as of today.. Beginning of June I'd start checking her daily for changes and recording (whether written or pictures or both) any changes you notice for future reference

Thank you all for the great detailed responses.

Most of the breeders on here use the 335 day rule. But it can vary wildly.
If we followed that 335 day rule we would have missed about 90% of our foals.
default_smile.png
So I guess we vary wildly as you said!

I am always a bit concerned when people post that their mare is not "due" for another week or two.

She is "due" when she is ready - not by the calendar.
default_wink.png
And she can foal with little to no changes or signs...

I start watching closely at 300 days... or 290 for a couple of mares. We have had foals born between 296 days and 337 days... with the majority between 310 - 320.
default_yes.gif

I just cannot get my mares to read the books about when they are "suppose" to foal!
Very true, Joanne!
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If she settled on her first day bred you are looking at a little firecracker (July 4th) at 330 days. I have a maiden due on July 4th. Different gestations on one mare: 349 days first foaling, 333 days second, and around 330 for 3rd foaling. Bred to the same stallion. I do wonder if it's different when a mare is bred to a different stallion. I start keeping a closer eye around 300 days. I have heard so many tales of mini mares foaling on day 300 and the foals being just fine
default_smile.png

I just "assume" that at day 290 and on I should be carefully watching all her signs, atleast twice per day. For example, this year I am breeding three mares via pasture breeding with the same stallion. They are being exposed from April 25 to June 24 to allow for them to be in with the stallion for atleast two heat cycles. This means that I can be expecting to start watching the mares on their 290 mark on February 8th.

Come February 8th, I will be having all cameras up and rolling, all mares in their stalls, be watching for any signs and this year I will be trying a new product called "FOAL TIME" which I think may work better for me than the Mother Natures Milk Strips as there is no mixing, etc. I will also be using MareStare this year so I will have a whole bunch of eyes watching 4 mares. Not to mention my Camper about 10' away from the foaling barn will be in great use this year!

You can go to http://www.foal-time.com/index_files/foalduedatecalculator.htm and use their foaling calculators. They are what I use and I love them!

Latest posts

Back