General recommendation for riding minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
I've been asked how big should a mini be to be ridden. I'm not sure I know the answer to that. Does anyone have recommendations on this topic? I know build plays a factor in this as well but in general is there a certain mark as a minimum.

Thanks,

Karen

I have no problem telling people they are only suitable for small small children and as a rule of thumb no more than 25% of their body weight should be on thier back, but they are quite exceptional at pulling a much larger work load with a cart.

I've been asked how big should a mini be to be ridden. I'm not sure I know the answer to that. Does anyone have recommendations on this topic? I know build plays a factor in this as well but in general is there a certain mark as a minimum.

Thanks,

Karen
My quick reply to the public that asks is chidren around 50-60 lbs and that includes the weight of the saddle. Now if the horse is really small it begins to look really rediculous to have a child riding. For instance the under 32" horses are so short that even the smallest child begins to look BIG. I've had my grandchildren on my 33-34" show mare and the only problem is the fit of a saddle. The narrow ones "perch" on her back and make it a very "tippy" (as my granddaughter says) ride. The broader saddle is better for the horse but makes a 2 or 3 yr old child do the splits!

My old gelding, even though he measures 34",is of the bigger boned chunky pony type. He easily takes the broad saddle and willingly gives rides. My grandchildren have been riding him in leadline for 3 years now. I don't allow anyone to "ride" on their own. My horses are broke to drive - not neck rein.

default_yes.gif
Yep, what Carolyn said. It depends on the size of the horse (and how "stout" it is) so a 30" mini won't be able to carry the weight that a 37" mini could carry. A medium-frame 34" horse may weigh 250 pounds (just a rough guesstimate) so counting the weight of saddle and child combined I would personally limit the weight for it to carry to 50 to 60 pounds. And that is just for lead-line type work, not galloping or jumping fences. For hard work like that I'd limit the weight bearing even more. (and I'd love to see the tiny child who could ride like that!)
default_wink.png

Oh, and what Sandee said too (we were typing at the same time!)
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back