gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly at WhiteTailsMinis

Reaction score
We just had our 1year old colt gelded. The vet asked if we had bute. We said oh no...... they can't have it. We have banamine. Is there something better or safer to use for the pain and inflamation? Thanks

Banamine tends to be better for soft tissue pain, while Bute tends to be better for orthopedic pain.

Dr Taylor

I have had my vet prescribe both at different times/ different geldings. The bute that I have used is a flavored powder, very easy to measure a small dose to prevent bute toxicity (and she prescribed small doses, spread far apart). Maybe it was the fact that it was a different horse and a different reaction, but I was amazed how the swelling stayed down with the bute. I don't think I would ever use th ebute in th epill form, too hard to get an accurate dose, but I would not hesitate using it in the powder form.

We've had a number of colts/stallions (5 months to 15 years) gelded over the years and UC Davis has never prescribed anything for post gelding pain yet. I've noticed ours are up and moving around fairly well in an hour or so, and good to go within a day. We do keep them under observation for a week, but have yet to have swelling, excess bleeding, etc. We do geld in groups (misery loves company), and make sure they have room to move around too.

I would give banamine if it was called for though.

I give banimine the first 24 hours while they are supposed to be quite, then again in the morning only if they are acting sore, otherwise that is when I put them out for exercise, as I feel that is the best remedy, and after a few days if no swelling I'll give them a gelding buddy to get them moving even more. God bless the geldings!

I don't care if they prescribe it or not
default_smile.png
Pain reliever is mandated for post-op pain... we do it for humans, why do any less for our animals? If they give banamine or torbogesic during surgery, you don't need to rush the meds to them, but within a few hours I would definitely plan on something!

I don't care if they prescribe it or not
default_smile.png
Pain reliever is mandated for post-op pain... we do it for humans, why do any less for our animals? If they give banamine or torbogesic during surgery, you don't need to rush the meds to them, but within a few hours I would definitely plan on something!
I don't normally give anything after gelding also. If the horse doesn't appear to be in distress, why put drugs in his system?

I don't normally give anything after gelding also. If the horse doesn't appear to be in distress, why put drugs in his system?
Because its not about just pain, its about inflammation and the earlier you start an antiinflammatory the less you will need to use to prduce the desired effect.

Dr Taylor

Since when does a slice in your scrotum and your nuts pulled out (literally) not hurt?! Just because horses are stoic doesn't mean they aren't in pain. And like Doc said, inflammation slows healing, and the best way to combat swelling (and pain, actually) is to stop if from starting. If you wait until you see it (pain or swelling) you'll always be playing "catch-up" to control it.

Since when does a slice in your scrotum and your nuts pulled out (literally) not hurt?! Just because horses are stoic doesn't mean they aren't in pain. And like Doc said, inflammation slows healing, and the best way to combat swelling (and pain, actually) is to stop if from starting. If you wait until you see it (pain or swelling) you'll always be playing "catch-up" to control it.

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL

Thanks everyone. We are giving him banamine and plenty of cold hosing. Oh and ulcerguard. I feel so bad for him. We just delivered a 2 year old today and he will be gelded on Monday. My poor babies

One of our vets tended to use a bit too much ketamine and not quite enough rompun, and post surgery the horses would have muscle tremors because of it--I think the tremors/spasms were causing more pain than the incision did--a dose of banamine would make them much more comfortable and stopped the tremors (had one that was an especially difficult surgery as the vet "lost" the 2nd testicle. She topped him up with ketamine but no rompun and he started having horrible muscle spasms. You could see the pain in his eyes even while he was supposed to be "out"--I asked her to give an IV dose of banamine NOW, which she did, and in moments he relaxed.)

We now use a different vet for our gelding surgeries--he's much better with the drugs and the horses never have the muscle tremors afterward. But, I still give at least one dose of banamine just to make sure that the horse is comfortable, and to reduce inflammation.

Latest posts

Back