GELDING OLDER STALLIONS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Oct 31st I posted that I had my 26 year old stallion gelded and that I would report back as to how he did. Well, he is doing great. Came home, had a little bit of bleeding but that was expected. He's back at his usual routine with no ill effects. Still comes to the fence and paws the ground till I give him and his girlfiend Keesha their daily treat. All in all he is healthy and happy and in a couple of months will try to put him in with the girls.

Ginny

On Oct 31st I posted that I had my 26 year old stallion gelded and that I would report back as to how he did. Well, he is doing great. Came home, had a little bit of bleeding but that was expected. He's back at his usual routine with no ill effects. Still comes to the fence and paws the ground till I give him and his girlfiend Keesha their daily treat. All in all he is healthy and happy and in a couple of months will try to put him in with the girls.

Ginny
:aktion033: [SIZE=12pt]YEAH....GINNY !! [/SIZE] :aktion033:
Thanks so very much for keeping me posted! So glad he's doing well enough, he'll paw for his treat! :lol:

Doesn't his future look much brighter, happier -- now he can retire and hang out with "the girls". I dunno, perhaps his girlfriend, Keesha, may be not be happy with the new "living arrangement"!!

Cindy

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but I've been considering gelding my 19 year old stallion and wanted to get some info. This past spring I had an appointment to have it done, but my vet scared me so much with all the talk of complications! So I put it off.

But he's always lonely. He can't go out to pasture with the mares (I don't breed anymore) and he hates and wants to kill the geldings. He may always hate them, but at least if he was gelded he could go out with the girls!

So I am glad to see that others have gelded their older boys with good results.

I remembered this post and went waaaay back into the archives to find it - at the time I was not contemplating gelding an older stallion but now it seems like the right thing to do.

Our stallion is 19 years old this year and we have not used him for breeding for the past couple of years. I feel bad for him having to be by himself watching the younger guys have all the action. I do not want to sell him for fear of him getting into a bad situation so now I am thinking of having him gelded.

Guess my question is whether or not it is the right thing to do? - those of you that have gelded older stallions, would you do it again? Has anyone had any bad effects from gelding an older stallion.

Boss is a sweetheart - he is all "man" and so loves his mares - he has always been a great pasture breeder and wonderful with the babies. Guess I would like to be able to allow him to be out in the pasture during the "off" breeding season. He is in excellent health!

Sorry to bring this old thread back up but "if" anyone can offer me some insight good or bad - please do so. I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!

I had my little 17 year old Spicy gelded last September. He had no complications whatsoever. He has lived with my mares part of the time since then and shared pasture with his buddy since he was a year old, my 21 year old stallion Rambo, all this last winter and had no problems their either.

Rambo now thinks he needs to challenge Spicy at times over the fence while it is summer, but Spicy just looks at him like he's crazy. It did not take him very many months to not act like a stallion for being 18 years old now.

Susan O.

Older stallions (read, mature.... any sexually mature stud, which is 5+ years) will have greater complications and should be done in a surgical facility, even if its done outside on the grass like was earlier mentioned. The reason for this is the blood vessels and muscles which supply and support the testicles are large and mature, and can cause very fast bleedouts if not done in a place where enough skilled help and supplies are. I've seen bleeders before that had potential to kill the horse; its not fun.

Personally I wouldn't geld an older horse unless there was some health reason, and then I'd have it done in a major clinic or hospital, even if its done outside in the grass.

Latest posts

Back