Would you geld a teenaged stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
Would you geld a teenaged stallion, aged 14 as of this year?

Very simple question. Only use the above information based on age only. I'm in a debate with my family on whether or not its humane to geld a teenaged stallion.

Said stallion is well endowed and has done his duty since he was two years old. And to boot, he's a multiple dwarf gene carrier. It should be OBVIOUS what my opinion is if you guys know me. ;)

But like I said, only use the age in your opinion.

Would you geld a perfectly healthy, sound, and sane 14 year old stallion?

Yep, a friend of mine brought over her late teens stallion for our gelding party last fall, had no issues. Just have to watch for all the same things as with the younger stallions and treat accordingly to each individuals needs.

Yes Yes Yes! I gelded one at 19... he did wonderful
default_yes.gif

Yes, just about to make an appointment for one....or maybe more!!

I vote YES with everyone else.... We did and had no complications.

DEFINITELY YES!!!! I have done several and found them good homes.They made awesome geldings and 1 is now winning in the show ring as a gelding.I have my old Egyptian King son here who is now a gelding and he is a very happy boy..

Yep! We gelded a 15 yr old stallion who had been used quite a bit for breeding. He is a much happier horse...now 24 years old, out enjoying life with his buddies
default_smile.png

I don't know if I would geld him right NOW during fly season, but most definitely at that age. We gelded our 9 year old stallion and his yearling son in April because we are no longer breeding. The older one swelled a bit more but that was all. Now I can use them both for the 4-Hers, and turn them out with whoever I want.

Just an update. I am buying back our stallion and will hopefully be bringing him home the 20th. I don't know what condition he's in, and won't until Wednesday when I go to see him.

I already made him a gelding appointment on the 23rd and he will have a separate dry lot to recovered and plenty of fly spray.

VERY excited to see him back after three years of being gone.

Edit: he's a decently well endowed stallion and I'm sure he'll swell up pretty well. Do you suggest lunging, lots of walks, cold hosing, etc? I would ask the vet who will be performing the procedure but he is not a horse vet and is not confident with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine were only two year olds, neither know anything other than walking on a lead, one more well endowed then the other. The guy with smaller jewels sailed through his surgery and recovery with just some hand-walking for a few days, and a little cold hosing the day after. The guy with a good set had more swelling, so he got several cold hosings (I just let it run along the outside of his sheath and didn't point it directly at his incision area), and long walks for several days, along with daily turn-out with the other geldings (two days in a pen with just the two "new" geldings, then back out in the regular pen with the older geldings).

I second Chandab on the cold hosing and walking. Don't 'pressure spray'the incision area, just do as Chandab suggests, for @ 10 min. per session. Good luck!

Margo

I had a 5 year old done a few years ago and he exercised himself. After the first 2 days I penned him next door to the mare herd and he paced (at a walk amazingly enough) the fence and was healed so fast it surprised me. Now of course he is a gelding mentally as well as physically and wouldn't bother walking the fence line other than if the rest were eating and he wasn't lol.

Latest posts

Back