Gelding how much time

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
I have heard even after gelding that a stallion can impregnate for 30 days. Also heard 90 days. How long do you keep one away from the mares?

Also, would one that was dominant over another stallion remain dominant if he was gelded? What if both were gelded at the same time? How soon would you try letting them share a pasture?

Once the testes are removed, no more sperm is produced, but there might be one or two ejaculates left in the cord (or some accessory gland). It shouldn't be more than a week, probably two tops than sperm should be gone. I honestly feel, longer times are mentioned, for safety reasons, as some are like "he's gelded it's done, throw em out together tomorrow", then those instances have a whoops.

If the boys are gelded at the same time, it probable that their hierarchy in their group will stay the same; but you never know things could change, especially if one recovers more quickly than the other.

Forgot the personality side of it. They say it takes 1 month per year of age at time of gelding for most of the stallion attitude and ideas to die down. So, if a stallion is gelded at 7 years, it could take around 7 months for the stallion-like thoughts to leave, and start behaving like a gelding (obviously, some are much quicker; and some take longer).

As far as attitude goes, it just depends on the stallion. I have one that was gelded three years ago. He still paces, he is still aggressive towards the other stallions and won't back down from the dominant mare. His actual behavior (on his time) is worse now then it was as a stallion. However when he's on my time, he is quieter. His buddy took about a year to calm down and is really a nice gelding. Both were done at the same time and by the same vet.

I had my almost 2 year old gelded recently and my vet said they may still be viable for 60 days, and to wait at least that amount of time if turning out with a mare. Mine because a terrible biter that was unphased by any and all reprimanding. He also was really unfocused to work with and very aggressive with my gelding. I started noticing a good difference after a month, and now I almost at 2 months post-gelding and he is getting much closer to being his sweet, former self
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back