Gastrogard vs. GastroMax3

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
Just thought I would share since this product was mentioned on a different thread. I brought home a weanling filly the beginning of November, she was put on ranitidine twice a day a few days before the move, and for several days after. Despite using the preventative she did develop symptoms of ulcers (uncomfortable/colic after eating grain, playing in water, etc) so with vet's agreement put her Gastrogard. I got 12-13 doses out of one tube and after a few days of treatment she was eating and acting more normal. When I ran out of GG I decided to try GastroMax3 thinking it would be cheaper. I was disappointed to find that one tube is for 600lbs, she is a larger weanling giving her 100lbs dose, one tube has only 6 days of treatment for around $22. It's really not cheaper in the long run and after switching, she is not as eager to finish up her grain, but she isn't totally off feed/uncomfortable like before using GG. I think GastroMax3 is good for preventing ulcers, but I wouldn't use it to replace Gastrogard as treatment. And because of the extra ingredients I wasn't sure I could increase the daily dose like you could with Ulcergard to use as treatment.

I don't have a lot of experience treating ulcers, but it's not something I want to fool around with when they are showing obvious signs of discomfort. Has anyone else tried GastroMax3? It is a product I would definitely consider using for preventative before a stressful event, just does not seem in this case to be as good for treatment.

*Edited to add GastroMax3 is not labeled to treat ulcers, but to prevent them.*

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought Kim, but i recently used Famatodine 800 mg. BID and had really good results. Free choice hay of course, but it was only one pill twice a day, so it was easy and effective.

They stop showing symptoms of ulcers in just about 4 days, but it takes about a month to 6 weeks fort he ulcers to actually heal, so this regimen was easy for me to do that length of time.

I am giving Gastromax a try right now. The formula does contain more than just omeprazole. We'll see how it goes.

But just a note....the Gastromax tubes I have are calibrated in kilograms. 100 kilograms = 220 pounds

I bought Gastromax3 to try the next time I have an ulcer symptom horse. So, I haven't used it yet, but it should be a very good product to treat ulcers as well as prevent them.

I know for minis the cost is not as severe bit anyone with a big horse who needs to treat for ulcer may find this info useful. There is a company in Canada horseprerace.com that sells ulcer meds for $7.95 a tube, same medication just way less in cost. They ship fast and shipping doesn't cost much. Also aloe Vera juice helps with coating the stomach lining, I add it to my gelding's feed (just not too much or it can cause diarrhea), flaxseed and alfalfa is goo for the stomach too and horses who tend to have ulcers should always have something in their stomach before excersise.

Despite using the preventative she did develop symptoms of ulcers (uncomfortable/colic after eating grain, playing in water, etc)

this brought a question up in my mind. We have a QHx mare who plays in our 200gal tank. Not every day but enought she should have been a sea horse! She is REALLY gassy and after changing her feed she seems less gassy but still. She walks and passes gas. She stands and passes gass. We talked to the vet and he said some horses are just that way. I've been around horses my whole life and never herd such a thing. Could she have ulcers? Shes super moody some times but not after eating her grain, when we give it to her, she "dives" for it.

Back in May there was a video posted on here about acupuncture points that could be used to tell if a horse had ulcer pain. I just did a search (here and Google) and cannot find it but did find references to it. Does anyone else remember it and/or have any idea where to find it? Dr. DePaola was the vet who had made it. I think it might be helpful.

FOUND IT: Here is a link to the thread with the video and discussion:http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=129147&hl=depaola&st=0

I am giving Gastromax a try right now. The formula does contain more than just omeprazole. We'll see how it goes.

But just a note....the Gastromax tubes I have are calibrated in kilograms. 100 kilograms = 220 pounds
Well I feel like an idiot, I checked my tube last night and it's marked in kilograms! I thought I checked it, but obviously did not! So there is more doses per tube than I thought. Maybe that is the problem I was giving her too much! I cut back the dose this morning and will see how she eats tonight. On GG she was cleaning up her grain twice a day, since the switch she has been leaving most of it in the bucket and only eating a little grain. She is still eating grass & hay. I tried to get her to eat alfalfa, but she wants nothing to do with it! I bought cubes, pellets and had a bale of our baled alfalfa. She doesn' like any of it, but does eat beet pulp. I'm also using Aloe Vera Juice 2-3 times a day, and giving her yogurt every morning, she loves the yogurt! She has settled into the herd here, and likes her next door stall buddy, so the worst of the stress is over!

I'm sorry to hear that Indigo isn't feeling well. I would be tempted to go back to the Gastroguard for at least one more if not two more tubes and then try a more maintenance type product like Gastromax. We're not sure if our hard keeper actually ever had ulcers even though that was one of the things we treated her for last spring (6 weeks worth!).

Wanted to give an update, I've had her on the correct dosage of GastroMax3 the past few weeks and Indigo is doing great. Cleaning up all of her grain. She doesn't like the timothy/alfalfa pellets I bought for her, so it's just 30% Supplement pellets, plus soaked beet pulp shreds in the evening. I'm pleased with the product when giving the correct dosage! I am also giving her Aloe Vera juice 2-3 times a day, figure it can't hurt!

Latest posts

Back