Gas Prices and Your Plans to Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wood

Reaction score
Long ago...people commented (not here) that no matter what they would travel to the shows no matter what the gas prices...

Just how high would the gas prices have to rise to keep you home from showing?? Just curious
default_rolleyes.gif
Seems like there is no end in site.
default_no.gif

I'm definately reconsidering some way out of state shows I was planning on attending. Will have to see what the clients want to do.

I've seen some here say that gas prices wouldn't matter...

There'll be no shows for my pony this year.

I'll still be showing; I can't do it every weekend like I would "LIKE" to..........as it's just a VERY expensive hobby for me and not a way I make a living.

I'm shooting to attend a show a month April - Sept, so about the same as always....

Im planning about 7 shows this year including Congress, not including nationals as i not sure on that yet.

On average, our shows are under 5 hours away ..a few are 6-7 hours away tops. Congress is 5 hours
default_smile.png
default_laugh.png
. Gas prices really do not bother me, i have a saying "sign the check and look the other way" , or in this case .."swipe the card and look the other way". If gas hits $4.00-$4.25 a gallon ..its only about an extra $50 to get to each show for us since they are so close.

I can completely understand if your driving 10-13 hours to each show but the gas prices will not stop me from getting out and showing.

If gas hits $4.00-$4.25 a gallon ..its only about an extra $50 to get to each show for us since they are so close.

This is what I figure too-- so I'd rather just skip entering a couple of classes to save the difference, rather than not go at all.
default_smile.png

The shows that are a LOT further away, like ten-hour-plus one-way, well, yeah, it may very well deter me, but anything within a few hours drive is fair game!
default_biggrin.png

default_sad.png
As it stands right now we are going to try to attend one show a month starting in May. So it will only be 4 shows before Nationals. Not really a big difference as before. About all the time I can get off plus taking a week and a half off at Nationals.

Ron

So far it will be about the same as always for us, we usually like to attend one show a month starting in April. I know we should try to cut back some because of the expense and like mentioned above it is a hobby for us, but it is used as our vacation, and just too much fun (and lots of hard work
default_wacko.png
) to miss out on. By the time Nationals is over in September I am so tired I am ready for a break, but about this time of year I'm ready to hit the road!
default_xreiter.gif

AMHR shows will be out since I can only go to one 'national' show and that is the World show. I usually love to show both, but have to become strictly goal oriented this year. Show until qualified and stop.

I wanted to try and make it to, two shows to finish my geldings HOF's. A friend of mine have already worked out a plan. She has the truck(mine is broke) and I have the trailer. She pulls trailer and all horses fit in.

I am not sure tho, money is aready tight and I spend about $200 a month in gas going to school, which I will still be doing in the summer so I will have to see how it goes.

There is a show here in April that I probably will not attend. One reason is I have two mares due at that time and two it is cheaper for me to show in Louisville, KY (entry fees (including showing in more classes), stall fees, office fees and gas) than the show here in TN. Crazy!

Than I will be off to Ohio, once or twice this summer. (It will cost me the same to go to Ohio and show in MORE classes than to show here in TN)

Than it'll be Congress and Nationals.

So, not as many shows as I would like but with the price of gas increasing what seems like daily this is about it for now.

I sure would like to move to Ohio or close by as I would attend the shows there probably every other weeked as the cost to show there is so much more reasonable!

I think right now its more of getting more for my money.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I will probably still attend my normal shows this summer. I will however cut the cost by not staying in hotels or eating out as much. Going to have to pack a cooler for sandwiches and sleep in the trailer.
default_wacko.png
Also I will drop a few classes and show less horses to make up some of the differences. I just couldn't stand not to show at all
default_new_shocked.gif
Joyce

I just got home from work, i work for our family trucking business, we haul from Whirlpool (the washer / dryer company) and every wensday i do the invoices which is sent off to the whirpool office and they add up the total $$$$$$$ on all the invoices for each load and send the check back to us ..anyway ..

Today i was doing the invoices and our normal fuel surcharge per mile is .35 cents ..it got bumped up to .46 cents / mile now. This is the first time he has had to up the fuel surcharge since 2000
default_unsure.png
. That is JUST FOR THE FUEL PER MINE, that doesnt include the regular $1.48/mile reg charge.

Anyway, now that the fuel prices have gone up ..you really will not be paying just as the pump, i imagine soon all items you buy (washers, dryers, ..cerial ...milk ..whatever) is going to go up as shipping and fuel surcharges from trucking companies such as us are upping the charges.

On another note ..my pay increased today
default_laugh.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back