G & S carts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
I tried doing a search, but because the term G&S or G & S will not return results due to incorrect # of characters, I decided I had to post a new post.

I am looking at getting a new cart for Combined Driving for my 33-34" guys. That means it has got to have the non-pnuematic wheels. In my searching around, I came across this one...do any of you have one? Like it? Is it comfortable for you? Adjustable for your horse? Light weight???

I am also looking at the Bellcrown MiniCrown. Hoping the shipping isn't TOO prohibitive on that one! We shall see. I am waiting for a call back.

G & S Carts I typed out a nice LONG post, but it totally disappeared, hate it when that happens...if you want to know more, just PM me. Changes I had made, the shafts wider at the tugs to allow for buckle in traces, and opted for the 24" pony wheels.

G & S Carts I typed out a nice LONG post, but it totally disappeared, hate it when that happens...if you want to know more, just PM me. Changes I had made, the shafts wider at the tugs to allow for buckle in traces, and opted for the 24" pony wheels.
I would love to hear more details about your G & S cart. I also am trying to decide between the G & S trail cart and the Mini Crown so any details would be very helpful. I am new to the forum so I am not sure what PM means.

Thanks,

Kelly

Love the idea of a trail cart. What makes the cart a trail cart beside the steel wheels? I am looking forward to training my mare to do trails and will be looking for a cart to take on the local trails.

I have seen a GS mini cart with coil springs /pneumatic wheels. It was very nice compared to most other metal pipe easy entry carts I have seen. The trail cart made by GS has metal wheels but with coil springs I would think the ride would be rough ....a lot rougher than with the Bell Crown for sure. I would choose a Bell Crown or a Smart Cart if your budget allows.

I would say the Bellcrown MiniCrown suspension would be easier on ones back.

Coil springs are not.

I am still trying to learn about carriages, sizes, etc. also. I have been looking at various trail carts, in particular the Pacific Smart Cart, the G & S, and now the Bellcrown Minicrown. I probably know why, but wanted to ask for sure why some of you choose the size of wheel you do. And what options for your carts do you have, and what options do you wish you had. I have a 33" mare I will be driving next year and my soon-to-be 2 year old gelding is still only 28" and not looking like he will go much past that. I wanted to have him trained to driving in the future also. These carts are suited for the two sizes of minis I plan on driving aren't they? I have seen very little minis driving with what looks like the same size cart and shafts.

Just thought the original op or others might also wonder the same things I do, experienced in horses, minis, long-lining, but no driving experiience yet.

why some of you choose the size of wheel you do.
The larger the wheel, the easier it is for the horse to pull especially on rough ground. Think of pushing a wheelbarrow over a 4" rock. If you have a small diameter wheel, it will take a lot more effort to get over that rock than a larger diameter wheel. The problem with larger wheels with minis though is that the wheel itself is heavier. That is why smaller wheels are popular in the show ring, but they are not practical on the trail.

Here is what can happen to a pneumatic wheel on the trail.

damaged_wheel.jpg

This is also why pneumatics and especially wire spokes are not allowed in CDEs above training level. Steel and wooden wheels are much more appropriate for trail driving.

Myrna

"Posted Yesterday, 08:58 PM Sue_C., on 28 January 2011 - 06:16 PM, said:

G & S Carts I typed out a nice LONG post, but it totally disappeared, hate it when that happens...if you want to know more, just PM me. Changes I had made, the shafts wider at the tugs to allow for buckle in traces, and opted for the 24" pony wheels."

I would love to hear more details about your G & S cart. I also am trying to decide between the G & S trail cart and the Mini Crown so any details would be very helpful. I am new to the forum so I am not sure what PM means.

Thanks,

Kelly

To answer you, Kelly. In the original quote there is a link. Put the cursor over the words G&S Carts and it will take you to more information on them. As for a "PM", that means Personal Message. You click on the person's name; it takes you to their profile page and there you can click on PM which is the forum's version of email.

Scooter, Amy, keep telling yourself "Scooter!"
default_laugh.png

KellyAlaska said:
I am new to the forum so I am not sure what PM means.
PM means Private Message. You can click on a person's forum name and it will give you options including emailing them or sending them a private message.
default_smile.png
It looks just like a forum thread but it's only between the two of you.

Knottymare said:
Love the idea of a trail cart. What makes the cart a trail cart beside the steel wheels?
The same things that make a trail saddle- comfort and safety.
default_biggrin.png
A show cart is designed to be pulled on a level surface in good footing and so doesn't really have any suspension, often doesn't have footman's loops for breeching to attach to, and with anything but minis you can't see over your horse's rump.
default_wacko.png
I would NOT want to take a jog cart on the trails with a QH!

For me a trail cart is one I can be reasonable comfortable in and don't mind getting beaten up. Lots of trees and brush and mud on our NW trails!
default_biggrin.png
I use my Frontier easy entry as it's lighter than most of my other carts, I don't care about the paint job and it's got plenty of room for me to carry my stuff. I also have a young back though so don't mind the rough ride from the coil springs and I'm tiny enough that I have plenty of leg room. If it's going to be just me and my horse, no possibility of passengers, my absolute favorite trail cart is the Graham Carriage Works Hyperbike. It's light, simple, specifically designed for driving over rough trails, built like a tank and the horses love it.
default_wub.png

For most people the factors to be considered would be suspension, ergonomics for the individual driver, draft angle (do the traces run horizontal or down toward the horse's hocks for better pulling?), balance, stability and maybe weight. That's an entire thread on its own and then some! People end up with the really expensive CDE carts for trail driving because they are designed with all those factors in mind.

rubyviewminis said:
I probably know why, but wanted to ask for sure why some of you choose the size of wheel you do. And what options for your carts do you have, and what options do you wish you had. I have a 33" mare I will be driving next year and my soon-to-be 2 year old gelding is still only 28" and not looking like he will go much past that. I wanted to have him trained to driving in the future also. These carts are suited for the two sizes of minis I plan on driving aren't they? I have seen very little minis driving with what looks like the same size cart and shafts.
The size of wheel is dictated by the size of horse and the style of the cart. In a cart where the axle runs higher under the seat you can have a bigger wheel and still have the shafts sitting at the correct angle to the horse whereas in something like an easy entry where the axle runs below the footboards, you're limited in the size of wheel you can have. The rule is generally to get the biggest wheel you can for the reasons Myrna mentioned without raising the shafts too high for the horse.

It's going to be difficult for you to drive both your horses to the same cart without some modifications. A 28" horse often needs shorter than average shafts, no more than 20" wheels on most carts, etc., while your bigger girl would do just fine with any of the carts mentioned. The most adjustable one is the Smart Cart and I've seen little guys pulling them and doing just fine but they've taken in the shafts and lowered the entire cart to get the same look. Not every little guy will be able to handle that sort of weight. If you can't buy separate carts for the two horses (and I'd recommend it as then you can take them both driving!
default_biggrin.png
) you'll probably have to buy one to suit the little guy then get longer/wider shafts for your 33" girl. The only trail cart I know that could easily switch between both horses without tools is the Hyperbike.
default_yes.gif

RhineStone said:
Here is what can happen to a pneumatic wheel on the trail.
damaged_wheel.jpg

This is also why pneumatics and especially wire spokes are not allowed in CDEs above training level. Steel and wooden wheels are much more appropriate for trail driving.
It looks from the tree limb like that cart took quite a beating before the wheel failed!
default_new_shocked.gif
I use pneumatic tires with wire spokes for trail driving, I'm just very careful and aware that if they fail I'm screwed.
default_wink.png
No-Flat inserts of some kind are almost a necessity to go anywhere and if I was going to be out all day far from home I would definitely prefer steel wheels but the pneumatics are okay for driving around the neighborhood and local walking trails. My rule is I will take them anywhere I wouldn't mind walking home from.

If you do use pneumatics without inserts, bring a bicycle pump and patching kit. And for God's sake, unhitch the horse before attempting to pump up the tire! Even bomb-proof horses may react to the sound of a pump going behind their blinders and a runaway with a flat tire is not a pretty sight.
default_no.gif
Trust me on this and be safe, not sorry.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks from the tree limb like that cart took quite a beating before the wheel failed!
I had never looked at that photo close enough to notice a tree limb! I figured it was part of a homemade cart. (I was more concerned about the wheel.) The photo was sent to me, so I don't know the circumstances surrounding it, but I do know that it happened on a Competitive Distance Drive. Now that club has rules against pneumatics as well. I wonder if that limb was inserted to be able to carry the cart back to the trailer. From what I was told, the wheel started to disintegrate in the middle of the drive. I don't think the mud helped. I don't remember being told of any wreck associated with it.

Myrna

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to consider regarding pneumatics versus steels on the trails:

Steel wheels would be quite UNwelcome on many dirt trails, especially those intended for multiple use.

When we drove in one of our state parks (designed specifically for horses, hikers, and bicyclists), the park rangers were concerned about ruts created by carriage/cart wheels. They were won over in part due to my bay ambassador (kissing the rangers worked for Mingus), but also by the pneumatic tires on our CTM. Their concern was that the narrow steel wheels would be more likely to cut ruts into dirt trails. Gravel and paved trails aren't an isisue for either style wheel.

I would not even consider steel wheels on the beach.

We don't treat the trails like a CDE marathon course, so I don't foresee any runins with trees or other immovable objects. I did drive over a 6" high stump of a very small tree and hit a railroad tie while driving in my sister's woods -- no harm, no foul.

I should mention, however, that I would not drive anywhere without No Mor Tlats innertubes. I would also make certain the wheels have wider hubs for greater stability. Previously, that was the Achilles heel of the CTM carts, but now they have switched to the wider hub.

I love the looks of the G & S cart and the option of the steel wheels, but just because they call it a trail cart doesn't mean other EE carts (such as Frontier or CTM) are not appropriate.

As for springs, my back causes me constant pain, but honestly, coil springs don't bother me. Granted, I haven't used a Smart Cart, Bellcrown or anything with true suspension, so I have little to compare it to. I did do a schooling CDE in an old show cart with a slick wooden seat and NO springs...hehe...THAT was painful! For the second day I borrowed a HyperBike for marathon.

Their concern was that the narrow steel wheels would be more likely to cut ruts into dirt trails. Gravel and paved trails aren't an isisue for either style wheel.
Susanne, steel wheels aren't necessarily any narrower than the pneumatic tires? I'm thinking that my Smart Cart wheels would be the same width as the pneumatic tires on my CTM cart. They look about the same anyway. I don't find that the Smart Cart wheels cut into the dirt on the trails. I haven't driven either cart in mud nor in loose sand so can't say how they compare there.

Doing all of my driving on trails and I use my Wooden wheels more often than not. They do not cut into the ground any more than my pneumatic tires, in fact on some types of soil you can't even see my Wooden wheel tire tracks.

But you are right, I won't use the Wooden wheels in loose sand or heavy mud.

Sue_C. said:
I think the same thing...that is the way they are carrying it.
That makes sense.

Minimor said:
Susanne, steel wheels aren't necessarily any narrower than the pneumatic tires? I'm thinking that my Smart Cart wheels would be the same width as the pneumatic tires on my CTM cart. They look about the same anyway.
Ditto on the Bellcrown...one of the reasons I bought it was how wide the wheel rubber was! I've driven mine on the beach and in other deep sand and it actually handled pretty well. The main problem was the extra weight in such deep footing compared to say the Hyperbike I usually go beach driving with. It wallowed but did not sink in.

Leia

I have a G & S cart and I use it for both my minis, they are 35 & 36 inches. I like it but didn't realize how much till I used my frontier cart one weekend and it beat my poor rear end up, so yes this cart is much more comfortable. Here's my two, first one is 35" on a poker ride with my bored granddaughter and the second one is my 36" guy at our first fun marathon at Little Everglades Steeplechase, he's only been driving about 6 months and was awesome. The basket under the seat my husband made and it comes in so much, I love it.

Fall20poker20ride202009_0034.jpg

DSC_2759.jpg

Terrid I love the comment about your "bored granddaughter" that is very funny!

Terrid I love the comment about your "bored granddaughter" that is very funny!
Yes, don't we all wish we'd had a grandmother who was into horses when we were young???

None of my nieces or nephew is much interested at all. Maybe one could be coaxed, but nobody's horse crazy like I and my sister were.

She actually said she was bored. She doesn't really care for them, but I do have another granddaughter that is 3 and loves to go. At New Years we were camping and she stayed overnight and went driving with us and after awhile she asked to drive, so I let her, she didn't do to bad and even helped unhithch when we got back. When we drive we talk about the flowers, pinecones and even how thick the sand is. She is trully amazing.

Latest posts

Back