G & S carts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not my opinion -- it is that of the park rangers. I'm just repeating their concern and assuming that others may well run into something similar.

Perception is often more important than reality -- in our case, correct or not, their perceptions would have kept us off the trails at that particular park.

TerriD, that looks really nice. Does anyone have one of these with both the pneumatic and the steel wheels that they can change out? How much does it weigh?

Right now, I may be hanging on to my Runabout a while longer, as it appears I may need surgery for my knee now, due to badly tearing my medial collateral ligament because I had the stupid walking cast on and slipped on ice on New Year's Eve day. I am very depressed about it.
default_sad.png

I actually think my Runabout is pretty comfortable, but so far, I haven't been able to find anyone to make the steel wheels for it, for CDEs.

Does anyone have one of these with both the pneumatic and the steel wheels that they can change out? How much does it weigh?
I have both, and whereas they don't have a fancy hub, (too bad LOL) they switch over very quickly. As for the weight, I am not sure, but I would say less than 100 pounds, as I have lifted it into the back of my trailer by myself.

I just bought a G&S cart. I havent recieved yet. I wanted the regular tires, and had 24" wheels put on. I have a Smart Cart, but wanted something to take on trails. Our area has alot on sugar sand, easier to pull thru than the steel.

Good luck in your choice.

Another thing to consider regarding pneumatics versus steels on the trails:

Steel wheels would be quite UNwelcome on many dirt trails, especially those intended for multiple use.

When we drove in one of our state parks (designed specifically for horses, hikers, and bicyclists), the park rangers were concerned about ruts created by carriage/cart wheels. They were won over in part due to my bay ambassador (kissing the rangers worked for Mingus), but also by the pneumatic tires on our CTM. Their concern was that the narrow steel wheels would be more likely to cut ruts into dirt trails. Gravel and paved trails aren't an isisue for either style wheel.

I would not even consider steel wheels on the beach.

We don't treat the trails like a CDE marathon course, so I don't foresee any runins with trees or other immovable objects. I did drive over a 6" high stump of a very small tree and hit a railroad tie while driving in my sister's woods -- no harm, no foul.

I should mention, however, that I would not drive anywhere without No Mor Tlats innertubes. I would also make certain the wheels have wider hubs for greater stability. Previously, that was the Achilles heel of the CTM carts, but now they have switched to the wider hub.

I love the looks of the G & S cart and the option of the steel wheels, but just because they call it a trail cart doesn't mean other EE carts (such as Frontier or CTM) are not appropriate.

As for springs, my back causes me constant pain, but honestly, coil springs don't bother me. Granted, I haven't used a Smart Cart, Bellcrown or anything with true suspension, so I have little to compare it to. I did do a schooling CDE in an old show cart with a slick wooden seat and NO springs...hehe...THAT was painful! For the second day I borrowed a HyperBike for marathon.
There is much to what Miss Susanne has said. We learned years ago to build the cart around and integral TO the wheel.

The wheel is the heart of the cart. Going through the "what if this happens" exercises is a big part of the design process.

Also and as an aside, properly constructed and MAINTAINED pneumatic wheels do not as a general rule blow-up or taco as is commonly held. They just don't, period. Before you counter this read all of the words in the previous sentences. I heard an ADS member at a meeting a couple of years ago state this as fact and it was all I could do to keep my yap shut. The issue is proper construction of the wheel for both the rig and terrain for driving and then, maintenance. The wheel previously shown was a welded hub wheel common to the industry. Had spokes loosened or stretched in this wheel prior to taco-ing? If so the wheel should have been replaced prior to damage. I know this wheel well and had used it for many years with only two taco's One event, I really don't know the details about but the second one I do. The owner ended up dropping the 110 lb rig on a tire edge from truck bed height. Yes this will cause even a competent wheel to taco. As to blow-outs, I personally know of none( for my own). This is because even within the wheel you need to choose components that are matched and work well together. As we focus on trail driving as our primary venue we build to that standard.

Now on with the other details,

Flotation on a specific substance, in general, is a matter of tire width and gross vehicle weight and it changes depending on the substrate one is driving on. There are other issues of lesser importance but in general it is width/weight/substrate. As we have been demonstrating for years now wider is better. We chose as our main tire a very wide tire with a flat surface on purpose as this will give us the best flotation on the most substrates including beach sand. Not just the tide mark sand, but the dry loose sand farther away from the water.

Depending on the substrate any rig will cut into the ground. The trick is to lessen this to the greatest degree possible. Cutting in means drag and greater effort for the horse. I would try to minimize this to the greatest degree possible.

Wider hubs are preferred as they generally provide better triangulation geometry that will prevent taco-ing. Ie. its a stronger wheel laterally. The few wheel failures we have had over the years are generally hub failures and especially with our composite wheel. These are lateral load failures. Lateral loading is a primary design aspect that should be considered in wheel design.

Looks like G&S is paying attention to the afore-mentioned design aspects.

As to "springs", we have taken two approaches over the years. Both are integral design features. One is an "add-on" that is purpose built. The other is to turn the entire rig into a spring. So you see, you were driving a rig with "springs".

Susanne, a 6 inch stump ain't nuthin. The RR tie had to be at least 8 inches if not more. Had there been a problem with these little objects, I would have been tempted to close my doors out of shame at my incompetence....

Just .02 from me and the crickets....
default_smile.png

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

www.grahamcarriageworks.com

Bob, just to clarify...the stump and railroad tie incidents were with the easy entry on a previous drive last summer. I know the HyperBike would have no problem with such minor obstacles -- I was just surprised that the EE handled it so well..

(This does, however, remind me that I have a post to write regarding Mingus, the HyperBike, and freezing our, uh, fingers off)

Since Mingus is totally comfortable with bicycles (even silent ones coming from behind), I plan to drive him in the HyperBike while Keith rides his mountain bike out on the logging roads and backwoods trails up in our hills (we can re-write Sondheim's musical, Into the Woods...). Once we get boots for the princess, I cannot wait to try our back country trails with my little rocket horse and the 'Bike!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You got a Hyper bike Susanne?!!!! Did I miss the pictures? Lucky you!

Really want to get a Hyperbike for Maggie, before I move to VA... when ever that happens.

Also and as an aside, properly constructed and MAINTAINED pneumatic wheels do not as a general rule blow-up or taco as is commonly held. They just don't, period. Before you counter this read all of the words in the previous sentences. I heard an ADS member at a meeting a couple of years ago state this as fact and it was all I could do to keep my yap shut. The issue is proper construction of the wheel for both the rig and terrain for driving and then, maintenance.
HOWEVER, how many drivers of cheaply constructed vehicles actually do ANYTHING to maintain them other than say, wash them? (I'm not saying anything in regards to the Hyperbike, but more so the popular cheaply constructed Easy Entry vehicles.) There is something to be said for spending some $$$$ on a vehicle. Then you ARE more likely to maintain it because you know that it would be a headache and pocketbook ache to replace it.

We had one crummy pony pipe cart here that we bought at an auction for $25 when we were still in college. We were going to cut it down for a mini cart (before we knew any better). That cart spent it's life in an outdoor shed while since then, the "good" wooden vehicles have been pampered.

Sometimes it is just simply the lack of knowledge that leads to the lack of maintenance. Regardless, once you know better, you do better, especially if it means getting the right equipment for the job.

Myrna

HOWEVER, how many drivers of cheaply constructed vehicles actually do ANYTHING to maintain them other than say, wash them? (I'm not saying anything in regards to the Hyperbike, but more so the popular cheaply constructed Easy Entry vehicles.) There is something to be said for spending some $$$$ on a vehicle. Then you ARE more likely to maintain it because you know that it would be a headache and pocketbook ache to replace it.

We had one crummy pony pipe cart here that we bought at an auction for $25 when we were still in college. We were going to cut it down for a mini cart (before we knew any better). That cart spent it's life in an outdoor shed while since then, the "good" wooden vehicles have been pampered.

Sometimes it is just simply the lack of knowledge that leads to the lack of maintenance. Regardless, once you know better, you do better, especially if it means getting the right equipment for the job.

Myrna
Well lets separate the "cheaply or crummy constructed cart" from the topic of maintenance as to some extent it can be irrelevant to the topic of maintenance.

New drivers entering the scene most often will choose a less expensive vehicle to get their feet wet and to see if this is for them. I understand and condone this practice. As their knowledge base grows they may choose to move up to what we would consider to be better constructed vehicles. Whatever they choose to drive, their early schooling in maintenance and basic troubleshooting is essential. Trainers are already training, this should be included in their curriculum. Perhaps a cart/gear maintenance "day" should be part of a clubs events......

You're being trained to drive therefore you need to train in taking care of your gear. Taking care of your gear ALWAYS should come first and certainly before your comfort. Military service will drum this into your head in VERY short order. This approach also eliminates the phrase, "oh yeah that was broken or needing attention the LAST time I drove". I have seen all manner of excuse used as to why a person does not take care of their gear in detail and every time. Without an intimate knowledge of your gear and its proper function, you are headed for surprises and disappointment. Said disappointment might culminate in the ruination of a driving horse/partner. That's when I tend to get peeved, because most often it was unnecessary and wholly avoidable.

If your wire spokes are loose, broken, rusted or what have you, your wheel needs to be repaired or replaced as you have all the warning you need that a failure is imminent.

Again whatever you drive, become married to it so that you can see the early signs of trouble and avoid it for your horses sake if nothing else.

Gosh the theme is still the same, greater involvement and engagement in all aspects of what you do. Do it and encourage others to do the same by example and word.

Gotta get back to the crickets,

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

I think we are going in circles and are not on the same track.

The initial questions that I responded to were "what makes it a trail cart besides the steel wheels" and "why do you use the size wheel you do?" So I posted a photo of what can happen to a pneumatic wheel. Bb said that doesn't happen if a wheel is maintained, but my point was that a lot of people who have cheap vehicles don't maintain them, and therefore we see more instances of wheel failure in pneumatic wire wheels. My guess is that they don't even know that they need to be maintained, hence the good discussion on the other thread. (BTW, someone with more experience in the pneumatic department needs to comment there.)

Here is my concern with this discussion. (I know I am picking out one little aspect...) ADS has a rule that pneumatics can't be used above Training level in CDEs and can only be used in the first year of a Pleasure show. I don't want people to decide that this rule is wrong because it is just a "maintenance" issue. Bb, you even gave an example of a wheel failure just because the vehicle was dropped. That had nothing to do with maintenance (care, yes, but maintenance, no). If that same wheel was slammed into a concrete form in a water hazard or whaled into an oak tree on a trail instead, would it still be "sound"? Probably not. Pneumatic wire wheels are just not as strong as other wheels, period. I also question whether or not you would get the "slide" that you need in hazards sometimes, or if that fat wheel would catch the ground and flip the vehicle.

Yes, there is a place for pneumatic wheels, but I don't want people to get the impression that ADS is wrong because we are not fond of them above a certain level. There is a logical reason that rule is there. If all you are going to do is go round and round an arena and straight down a smooth, wide trail, then pneumatics are fine. If you want to eventually move up in the ranks of competitive driving and only purchase one vehicle, they are not appropriate.

Myrna

My apologies to Amy and all for not catching the purpose for the cart and the need for non-pneumatic wheels. I thought I was responding to the natural flow of the conversation including for some reason(?) a taco'd pneumatic.

Please don't let Myrna give you the "impression" that I counter the ADS on anything, well almost anything. And even if I do find myself in disagreement, I still live within the rules. I just find out where the edge is and live there. I like it because it is my calling and it makes the "gatekeepers" nervous.
default_smile.png

Can't wait to see you in your new rig Amy,

Bb

RhineStone said:
I think we are going in circles and are not on the same track.
Yes, but they're very interesting circles!
default_biggrin.png
I'm enjoying reading the contributions by both authors.

Leia

Yes, but they're very interesting circles!
default_biggrin.png
I'm enjoying reading the contributions by both authors.

Leia
No, they aren't the same circles... just when you think you have the pattern, the circle is changed on you. Seeing as how I've been EXTREMELY circumspect in my contributions anyway, I'll bow out and chalk it up to another lesson in futility learned. Hopefully the lesson sticks this time. Serenity now.....
default_smile.png

I'm gonna go weld stuff,

Bb

I sure didn't mean to irritate anyone with my contributions. I was totally reading between the lines and "forecasting" what presumptions could be made by a particular statement. I'm sorry.
default_sad.png

I still think someone needs to explain how to maintain a pneumatic wheel.
default_yes.gif
I have no idea. I don't think that my mom has done anything with hers since she got it about 15 yrs. ago. And we only have wood and steel wheels here.

Myrna

Pneumatic wheels/tires generally need the same care and maintenance as the wooden really...the difference being that the spokes are more easily replaced and/or tightened. They too, have replaceable bearings, spokes, and rubber. The rubber of the tires should not be cracked, the rim must not be bent or warped in any way...and they should be heavy-duty enough for the job asked of them.

Lots of information here and there. Most of my driving would be on pavement and a few dirt roads. I am not sure if a cart would fit on the equestrian trails here on the greenbelts. Hope so, if the weather clears up again I will take a mini walk over and see. Now with that info I am looking at the Smart Cart, Minicrown, and maybe the G & S trail cart. I just want quality, adjustable as much as possible, and smooth ride. Do the manufacturers help guide you to size of wheel and cart type if you tell them what you plan on using them for. Do we have to send wheels in somewhere for repairs or maintenance, or do most people do their own? I usually have done all that with all of my other horse equipment in the past and my husband is pretty handy. Thank you to all of you, I have two 3 inch binders of information I have printed out on driving over the last 5 years from here. But now that I have a mini actually old enough to drive I am getting serious about the details. Now to read those books.

Since I was on here last I really started looking at my four out there as far as driving is concerned. I went and got the measuring stick out and was shocked that since December 23rd, my little guy finally leveled out and grew 1.5 inches! I can't believe he grew that much in the middle of winter. We have been waiting since last June for his front to catch up to his hind end! I am crossing fingers he grows at least another inch or so, but it isn't looking good lol. And my little Jewel grew a whole inch too. But she has always been long legged (avatar).

Do the manufacturers help guide you to size of wheel and cart type if you tell them what you plan on using them for.
It depends if the manufacturer actually knows what they are doing and not just out to make a buck. There are some suppliers that are pretty much just order takers. If you are green at selecting a vehicle, it is all the more important to find a driving instructor and a supplier that knows their business, sport, and product, and will take the time with you. If they can't answer some of those tough questions, or try to persuade you that whatever they are selling will "work" for whatever you want to do ("Oh, it'll be juussttt fine!"), then I would steer clear.

Myrna

Carriage said:
No, they aren't the same circles...
Never said they were- just that both were interesting and worth reading.
default_biggrin.png

RhineStone said:
I still think someone needs to explain how to maintain a pneumatic wheel.
default_yes.gif
Agreed! Bob, this is the kind of thing your input would be invaluable on if you could be coaxed to contribute. Please??
default_pray.gif

Leia

Agreed! Bob, this is the kind of thing your input would be invaluable on if you could be coaxed to contribute. Please??
default_pray.gif

Leia

"I sure didn't mean to irritate anyone with my contributions. I was totally reading between the lines and "forecasting" what presumptions could be made by a particular statement. I'm sorry.
default_sad.png
"

Well I guess that so long as the above apology is sincere, I could give it another shot. But I gotta tell you that I've grown quite weary of nearly constant contradiction, forecasting, presumptions, disclaimers, out right falsehoods, innuendo and an utter lack of knowledge as to what I do and why.

It's just when that is going on it's FAR more fun to just go quietly do what I do. It pretty much comes down to honoring and respecting others as BETTER than you.

I am here to learn as well because this IS my passion. Anybody that REALLY knows me knows that I am all in.

I'll go to the appropriate thread to answer what has been covered fairly well.

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

Latest posts

Back