Fun topic-"Pet" names for grandparents or other family members

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
I thought this would be fun to read and contribute to.

Ok, my dad and stepmom were known to my first son as "Bamma Bo" (Grandma Flo) and "Bampa" when he first began talking. Those nicknames stuck pretty tightly even when he COULD properly pronounce them.

Now Brandon, my second son has a speech development issue, and his nicknames are as follows: "Nyunyo" and "Boppa".

Colton is pretty much following suit with the "Boppa" nickname though he's refined it to "Papa" and Grandma is "Domma".

Colton also broke from the norm and nicknamed his Dad "DeeDah" for several months earlier this year. Pretty cute though he CAN say it right, he just liked the way it sounded I think.

Brandon called my oldest son "Knaw" for a long time as he could NOT say kenny, so Kenny used that nickname as one of his vanity plates on his first car. (the K is silent like Knight). So Kenny is kinda just "Knaw" for fun/endearment.

Curious what pet names or cute mispronunciations have become part of your family's traditions?

Liz M.

My nephew, Jonah, calls my parents Meema (sort of rhyms with "tina", not like the southern Meemaw) and Beepa. Before he could say the "J" sound, he called me "Doe", which I actually kind of liked! I love that little turkey!

default_yes.gif
:

Jonah-potty.jpg

Oh I like this thread Liz.

When I was a child we called our grandparents "Grammy & Grampy".

My children were little they called my parents MeMe and Papa, when they got older they used Gramma & Papa.

My grandson calls me "Grammy" and his other grandparents Nana & Papa.

[SIZE=18pt]My kids call my parents Nana and Pop-Pop. My brother is known as Uncle Diddy. My father called him Little Man as a kid and it went to Diddy Man and then to just Diddy. My daughter used to call my dad grampa, but it was to confusing for her becasue my husbands dad was also Grampa, so she started calling my dad Pop-Pop and it stuck. I think it had something to do with him always giving her popsicles.[/SIZE]

Christy

My son called my mom and dad Bubba and Pappap, and also my hubby's mom and dad it too, for a awhile. My mom loved being called Bubba. My my mother in law ,once there were other grandchildren made it clear she only wanted to be called grandma. She said to her Bubba meant fat. My son has speech problems, so She just kept calling them Bubba. But now that my mom has died, there is only one Bubba.. And Bubba is with God.

I grew up with a Grammy and Papa and a Nana and Papa.

My mom always wanted to be a Grammy like her mom was. So when my first son, Breton, started talking, he couldn't quite get the "Gr" sound so she became "Mammy". We all like it cuz HE came up with it, so now she is known to all as "Mammy".

Although my daughter pronounces it more like "Me-me". Here she is as the wicked witch of the west....
default_wink.png
:

Marenwitch1.jpg

Tanner is just now turning 3 and starting to use almost full sentences but he cant quit say all the words right either, i think its adorable though.

He calls me 'weanna' instead of Leeana.

Lori (his mom) is 'nori'

He can say grandma and grandpa perfect.

...unfortionatly he can ALSO say some other words perfect as well, that he should not be saying.

default_rolleyes.gif
:

Leeana H.

[SIZE=12pt]I'm usually Mommy to Mia, unless she's being especially 4 that day, then I'm "MOTHER!", complete with eye rolls :new_shocked: Her Grandma (my Mom) is just Grandma, her great grandparents are Mee-Maw & Papa. Her Dad's Mom is Ma-maw. [/SIZE]

Steve has always just been called Steve by Mia (and we've reinforced that) although she's going to have a hard time with that once the baby's born and eventually calling him Daddy. Steve's Mom is Gramma Jean (her choice).

FTR, Dana's girls (Dreamweaver Farm) used to call my Mom "Grandma Barbara", now it's just Grandma...she loves it
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

My Mom and stepfather are Gaama and gaampa. My Dad is is poppy. My son is trying to say them, but yesterday he started calling my Mom meeme(like the way Jill mentioned). So this morning I said Gaama and he said meeme again. It's too funny. He'll figure it out, but it's hard when you and your husband both have divorced families and their are so many names to remember. His Mom wants to be called Nannie. Not sure what his Dad or his grandfather will be called as you can't get him to communicate. Then there are the stepgrandparents. Nana and Great Grandpa. My husband's other grandfather is grandpa as well.

Poor child I can't keep it straight....
default_smile.png

Ok, I'll play. We just called my grandparents, grandma and grandpa. So, original.

We have close family friends and the little ones called their grandma "Bugga" and their grandpa "Bumpa". These same kids call my mom, grandma Nette (her name is Arnette).

Daniel calls me "PINKY" I have no idea why. He always has.

Grandparents were grandma and grandpa.

My mom to my boys was "Nanny"

Well Liz's Brandon called my daughter Hilary, Err Err for a long time, because Liz told him they were coming to visit the Crabby Chicken Ranch! ( Err Err rooster sounds,, cool!)

And my son Matthew decided when he was about two that his name was NOT Matthew, it was Manu... He would get mad at us if we did not address him as such. So we still call him that.

And when my daughter was little she used to get mad at my Mom sometimes and she would put her hands on her hips and yell "Muvver!!!! Like Mother, when I would get mad at her!!!HeeHee! So funny!

This is just as fun as I figured it would be.
default_smile.png

Somehow those pet names reflect more of the love and closeness, and they DO tend to stick.

I especially love the little ones' inept attempts to pronounce some of them and how they tend to turn into the person's "identity" even when they have figured out those combined consonat sounds, etc.

Thanks for sharing them!

The one person I forgot to mention was my grandma, who was only alive for my first son's first six years. He called her "bait-mba" (great ma) but eventually was able to call her greatma and that is what she was to all of us, a Great Ma. ;)

Yep, Brandon has some cute names for Kim's (Crabby Chicken) family. Especially Err-Err. Colton has picked it up now, too.

Liz M.

Brianna calls her only living grandmother "Grammy Netta" ......Her first name is Ginetta. Her grandfather is just ""Grampy"...

My mother's mother was "Mime" (long story). And my father's mother was "Nana".

MA

Hey, a thread made just for me! LOL! I just have to share my story too.
default_yes.gif
:

We always had 2 sets of grandparents that we called Grandma and Grandpa. Our kids also just call their grandparents grandma and grandpa, and will often insert the name after...such as Grandma Flo, or Grandpa Jack. Since both hubby and my parents were divorced and in new relationships/remarried, and I too was on a second relationship with a child by my previous relationship, there was never a shortage of grandparents! They were coming out of the woodwork, so often used the first names to establish which grandparent in particular we were talking about. It can be pretty confusing for your kids!
default_wacko.png
:

Now that we are grandparents, and were so at a very young age, I felt almost "too young" to be a Grandma. We always referred to ourselves as Grandma and Papa. When our oldest Grandchild was just learning to talk, he could not say Grandma, and somehow, his attempt at Grandma came through as "Erma". LOL! I was game for that name, as it seemed so "special" to me, because he named me that, and it also didn't make me feel so old being called Grandma! Once the kids got older and were able to say Grandma, I have asked them what they would rather call me, figuring if they preferred Grandma, than that was OK with me, but they insist on "Erma". I can't help thinking how strange that is going to sound as they get older. They might be embarassed when their friends start to question them about it!

So now we are "Erma" and "Papa" to our first grandson(our son's son), and to the other 2 grandchildren(our daughter's sons) we are known as "Erma" and "Poppy". When her oldest son was starting to talk, and would call my husband "Papa", Chris would tease him, and poke him lightly in the chest, and say, "That's Poppy to you, kid!" in a deep voice. Then they would laugh, and eventually, Shannon's kids started calling him Poppy. I still write Erma & Papa on cards, gifts etc. though.

And my favorite little memory was when Junior(our oldest/first grandchild) was just little, and not talking too much yet, and sitting on my lap. I was at the bottom of my cup of coffee, and it was cool, so I asked Junior if he would like a drink. He did, and suddenly turned to me and said, "Good foffee Erma", just as clear as a bell. That brings a smile to my face everytime I think of it.
default_wub.png
:

My mom did not want to be called just plain grandma when I was pregnant with our first child so she came up with the name two mamma, but the kids changed it to two mom over the years and my dad was called two dad. I had an extra set of grandparents (thru divorce) that I called Mammy and Pappy, and another one that I called Mamma Dee, her name was Rosie Dee. There was also a Pappa and a Grandpa Ed.

My beloved late aunt, Marguerite, was truly a second mother to us, staying with my parents while each of us 6 kids were born, taking us to the beach for a week each summer, taking us to her place every Friday evening so my parents could have an evening with no kids. When our father died when I was nine, she was SO there for us kids and our mom.

Her nickname was 2nd Mommy, and I always used to make a point of wishing her a happy "2nd Mother's Day."

My grandparents were Mom and Dad, and Mummum and Pop (our parents were Mommy and Daddy, no matter what our ages).

I always thought we must be wierd, since our friends all called their grandparents grandma and grandpa...

I thought it was so cute that Keith called his "Mee-ma and Pee-paw," only to learn later that it isn't an unusual nickname at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
When my granddaughter was very young the first thing she called me was 'yaya'. That stuck, and it has been that with her, and her younger brother ever since. I'm Yaya, and Bob is Papa.

My funny little story is of my own kids though. When they were young we'd tease them and call them 'youngun's'... well years later as teenagers we were just sitting around and talking and someone said something, not sure exactly, and Bob said, you young'uns is always tryin' to do something'. My daughters eyes lit up and realization came over her face. She said, 'OH, YOUNGuns. I always thought you were calling us onions.'

I just wanted to chime in, again (I'm a motor mouth) about what my sister and I called / call our grandparents.

My mom's mom is Grandmother. And to my mom, Mother. This is a woman you'd have to know to beleive but she's very cold and I'm happy my mom is not like her a bit.

My Dad's Mom and his step father (who was the BEST grandfather!!! like from a story book) were Gramma Maude and Grandpa Frank. My grandmother's name was Louella, however for some reason, my Dad always called her Maude.

Then there's my Dad's dad, and he was Grandpa Daddy Bill. He was Daddy Bill to my dad and to EVERYONE! He used to own a business (roofing) and my dad worked for him when he was younger. He didn't want to call him "Dad" because it wouldn't seem professional with the customers and also wouldn't help the employees respect my dad, so he called him Daddy Bill starting (just like everyone and I mean employees, etc...).

On a related note, my Dad and I are business partners and at the office, I call him Don. Everyone (employees and clients) know we are father and daughter. At first some clients think husband and wife, but we get that situation out up front! But, I don't think clients would feel as confident in my advice / recommendations if I was referring to Dad as Dad. Now, when I talk to my mom or sister, I often call him Don just out of habit.

Fun thread!

My grandparent's on my dad's side were grandma and grandpa. On my mother's side(very German, in fact my mom was born in Germany) we called them Omi and Opa.......it's really supposed to be Oma and Opa but somehow as kids we created Omi and it stuck! After I took German in High School and then went back to visit relatives in Germany I learned we were mistaken and I would start calling Omi, Oma! She didn't care.....just as long as we called! My Oma was the best story teller around and I still dearly miss her even after all these years she's been gone.

Latest posts

Back