Slice of Life (Mother's Day)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
Well, it's been a sort of rough time the past few weeks, nothing overwhelming but my brother did try to commit suicide last weekend (he has been diagnosed bipolar for a long time, but this was a first for him). That was difficult to get through, but he's in an institution now, being watched instead of on minimal management (living on his own w/daily checkins for meds). Physically he's ok, but mentally is probably minute by minute w/him. I feel worst for my Dad, who is on his way out here for his annual visit as I type this. I know there's not much he can do for Don physically or even emotionally as there is so much "baggage" from the crap with our mom (emotional trauma, the gift that keeps on giving, huh?), but he enjoys his grandsons and I imagine being here with me, too.

Other than that, just miscellaneous things that tend to make a person say "what next?" but not without fear of truly finding out the other shoe waiting to drop is really HUGE.
default_smile.png

Martin's been in Alaska since Monday, and dealing with the loss of his nephew all over again since so many people up there knew and worked with him and people Martin had never met are offering condolences and insight into their relationship with Craig, so I know he's probably feeling pangs of sadness as that occurs. But he was having horrible allergies here, and they are much abated in Alaska, so there's that.

On Friday when I came home from town, there was a huge Fuschia hanging basket, pink with deeper pink centers, on the porch. No note or anything, so I don't have a clue why it was there or who it came from. There's a couple people I HOPE it's not from, but until I know better, I guess I have something nice for the hummingbirds to enjoy! Noone I ask that's local knows anything. Mistaken identity or....? Decided not to ponder on it TOO much.

Saturday the littlest boys made me pictures for Mother's Day. Colton, who just turned two, went all out. He continued HIS on his pants, his chest, his belly (washable markers), and then went on to the table, the cabinets in the kitchen (crayon). Still, I will have the pictures forever.

Kenny, my oldest son had to work yesterday and today, and put in ten hours today alone.

Today was pretty quiet aside from a friend's visit, just myself and the boys. It was almost HOT today, though, in the upper 70's.

Looked out the dining room window and saw this at about noon:

mothersday06nap.jpg

Left to right: Lailah (obviously the "responsible" party here), Mouse, Kyan, Lark, and Bella. Cherry and Gramma were off on a "girl's day out" I think, hanging in the shade like the wise girls they are.

And then about three o'clock:

momsdaynap06a.jpg

See a family resemblance? Gramma, Mouse and Kyan sunning their bellies. I think there was a variation on these above two scenes about every half hour. We call it "sun kill".

At around four, I was on the phone w/a friend when I see something flapping around the living room window. It has a familiar clumsy grace to it. A bat! I start thinking about that poor boy in Texas and wonder why this bat would be out at four in the afternoon. I poked my camera out the front door and here's what I saw:

batonporch.jpg

Good idea of its size w/the lights from our flag that it chose to cling near.

I had no clue what to do w/it as I felt silly calling animal control. My friend offered to come over and neutralize it, but I wasn't going to be responsible for any sort of carnage.

Still, I was hoping it would go away and it did after about an hour. Now I'm jumpy about the front porch and going to be wary of any little fuzzy brown things lurking about.

My son got home just after the bat left so we went to town for dinner and return some movies. Too hot and I was too lazy to cook.

Quiet, but the bat sort of broke it up.

;)

How was YOUR Mother's Day?

Liz M.

I worked. Came home to find my three kids had dug up and cleaned out the back patio area, and planted three rose bushes.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

The three foals are doing great--my two fillies are wonderful and oh so full of themselves, and my friends colt who almost went to play with the angels has decided to stay with us. He still loves me, even though I'm giving him the Naxcell injections twice a day!!

My mom is still with us and doing so well--a year ago I never would have thought is possible she'd be here. Stopped on my way home from work to give her flowers and a card--and a big hug.

A good day.

Awww, Pam, that is awesome what your babies did for you! And so glad about the colt.

default_smile.png

Glad you have your mom with you, I know so many don't.

The one I missed most was my Grandma, my "real" mom in heart and spirit. She's been gone now for 10 Mother's Days.

Enjoy those best loved mommas while you can, and store up for when you don't have them.

So happy to hear of another nice day.

Liz M.

Sorry to hear about your brother Liz. That is so hard to deal with all the time. Sounds like the rest of your mother's day went well. Love the bat! I'm not a mother myself(except for all the 4 legged with tails children I have) but I spent the afternoon with my mom and dad and then got the best Mother's Day gift possible....a healthy filly born around 9pm!

OH gee whiz Liz I am sorry about your brother and well I'm just sorry for the things in your life that you have had to over come. You are such a strong person to be able to rise above all these things and come out the success that you are, in so many ways.

I'm so happy that you had Colton there to decorate for you. Heaven knows the child is a natural artist in every sense of the word and the other kids as well to help you carry on.

I love the sun kill horses but you can keep the bat.

OK Mothers Day here was very stupid.

You do not want my details.

Aw, Marty, we really DO wanna hear about it?

default_smile.png

Sorry to hear it wasn't wonderful, but sometimes these things happen. Holidays can be hard that way.

sedeh, congrats on the filly! Pictures?

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back