Fun day update (long post)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
Well, Saturday dawned clear and sunny. A perfect day for a day of driving minis
default_yes.gif
We had seven drivers, not a huge turn out, a couple of people who said they would be here never showed up, but we are a small club anyway. We had a member with a pair who also drove one of them single, the pair were not working well together and he admitted he had only driven them 4 or 5 times all summer so no surprise there. Another person brought her youngster that is ground driving and ran him thro the cones and obstacles as well as her more seasoned horse. We started off with dressage, didn't actually score it since we were just there to have fun and learn/train but we did have someone who has done lots of ridden dressage critique our performances and write notes on our sheets so we can work on what is weak. For myself that is a good option altho a lot of the notes on mine were there because my silly mare saw changes in 'her' ring and had difficulty focusing. She could just make out some of the obstacles on the outside of the fence and kept veering off. I spent my entire runs (we each did at least 2) struggling to keep her straight with very mixed success. We'd get straight and come back into the corner that allowed her to catch that peek and she'd drop her inside shoulder and try to fall in.
default_wacko.png
Oh well, I guess we know she needs to learn to focus when things look strange to her. The pair pulled a buckboard type wagon and did quite well in my small arena. They had each other to focus on and never noticed what might be outside the fence, lol, they were not enjoying being together and the driver had to work to keep the right hand horse from swinging her body way out to the side so she was almost half passing down the rail. He did better with his pair and big wagon using the corners in my small arena than us smaller drivers who should have had far greater maneuverability.After his dressage run he borrowed one of our easy entries and drove the gelding of his pair single in cones and obstacles.

we went to a modified cones course, only 7 gates to make it fit my arena, and some people had their first ever opportunity to try cones. At least one driver discovered they haven't taught their horse to bend at all. He turns but his body stays straight and instead of arcs he does zig zags. Times were pretty consistent at 50 seconds for the course so the drivers reran it trying for the fastest time,
default_laugh.png
, there were a few squashed cones as a result and the best run was 45 seconds - no penalties.

So in the interest of not giving anyone still reading a head ache I will add the obstacles story in a bit
default_biggrin.png

Thanks for the writeup! It's always fun to feel like you were there at someone else's event and sometimes words are almost as good as a picture.
default_wink.png

Reignmaker Miniatures said:
For myself that is a good option altho a lot of the notes on mine were there because my silly mare saw changes in 'her' ring and had difficulty focusing. She could just make out some of the obstacles on the outside of the fence and kept veering off. I spent my entire runs (we each did at least 2) struggling to keep her straight with very mixed success. We'd get straight and come back into the corner that allowed her to catch that peek and she'd drop her inside shoulder and try to fall in.
default_wacko.png
Oh well, I guess we know she needs to learn to focus when things look strange to her.
Haha! The teacher in me says we know that you have an opportunity to learn to be a more proactive driver and focus her before she sees the scary thing instead of simply reacting afterwards. That's a tough lesson! The first time they react to something of course all we can do is correct as best we can, but after that it's time to put your foot down and use half-halts on the inside rein and whip touches on her inside ribcage to keep her mind on her business. (Just watch, I'll go do Turbo's first dressage test and our first as a pair this weekend and we'll be all over the arena!
default_laugh.png
It's still good advice though, assuming you can anticipate the trouble.
default_wink.png
)

Reignmaker Miniatures said:
The pair pulled a buckboard type wagon and did quite well in my small arena. They had each other to focus on and never noticed what might be outside the fence, lol, they were not enjoying being together and the driver had to work to keep the right hand horse from swinging her body way out to the side so she was almost half passing down the rail.
Oh dear. Pairs can be such...fun. Mine will probably hop the arena rail the first time I ask them to make a turn together at a trot! I'm hoping to get to Happ's a day early and get them some practice in the giant indoor arena so they've at least done it before being asked to do so in a 30x60 outdoor dressage arena.

Again, glad to hear your day was successful!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the writeup! It's always fun to feel like you were there at someone else's event and sometimes words are almost as good as a picture.
default_wink.png

Haha! The teacher in me says we know that you have an opportunity to learn to be a more proactive driver and focus her before she sees the scary thing instead of simply reacting afterwards. That's a tough lesson! The first time they react to something of course all we can do is correct as best we can, but after that it's time to put your foot down and use half-halts on the inside rein and whip touches on her inside ribcage to keep her mind on her business. (Just watch, I'll go do Turbo's first dressage test and our first as a pair this weekend and we'll be all over the arena!
default_laugh.png
It's still good advice though, assuming you can anticipate the trouble.
default_wink.png
)

You are absolutely right Leia. I was a great learning experience.Thank you for the excellent pointers, I did pretty much what you describe, pushing her into the corners and actively holding her there and on the rail. Insisting she straighten out and hold herself properly but to be honest I was surprised that she reacted so strongly. I have driven in a variety of places including cross country and she is rarely distracted. This however is the first time she had anything 'odd' in her home arena. I'm happy to know what needs work tho. We will be slipping all manner of things into the arena and pens around it for a while now.

Again, glad to hear your day was successful!

It really was a lot of fun. I would hazard a guess that if asked every one who participated would say they learned a little something about their horse and had a laugh or two in the process. I may just make it a regular event.

Leia

OK, I finally have a moment before my day gets crazy again ( too many things to do before our lovely fall weather ends, and today I have a 4 yr old being gelded) so I'll tell you all about the obstacle part of the day. So many people shared ideas for obstacles and I'd like to thank you all. I couldn't use everything since my arena is quite small but the course started with an "L" the drivers were asked to walk thro, then they picked up a trot for a straight run of cones which they were required to weave between beginning on the inside track (left rein) and that took them to the far corner of the arena. Around the corner and half way across the end of the ring they had to stop, pick up a fishing rod (whip with a long string tied to it and a magnet on the end) drop that into a tub and 'catch' a fish, return the fish to the tub, replace the rod and drive on. A couple of people discovered they need to work on 'whoa'
default_wink.png
. Then they were asked to turn down past a 5foot stuffed bear in middle ring, passing it on the left and continuing on to a hoola hoop at the near end of the arena. The hoola was used as a pivot ring and the drivers were to place one wheel in the hoop then pivot 180 degrees driving out and arcing around to the left to cross a 'bridge' (sheet of plywood) We again requested a walk for safety reasons and on up the left side of the ring at a trot again, to pass thro the dreaded alley of flags. This was a alley way created by the wall of the arena and a pair of pvc pipes held up by cones and carlot flagging between them. There was a slight breeze so those 1 foot square plastic flags moved just a bit all the time. Once past them it was a right turn into the ring and past the bear again on the other side (right) and on out of the arena. The obstacles were the most fun to watch. We had one horse who didn't put a foot wrong, he has many miles and many hours with his driver and it wasn't until she was one and he stood off to the side that he began to really study the obstacles, especially that great big bear. He is a testament to just how time and miles can turn your hot horse into a reliable driver. I've known this horse and driver for several (about 8) years and he was/is a hot single pleasure horse and has had some real issues with learning to do a flat footed walk. He was far and away the horse who just did what he was asked with out question on this day. Hooray for drivers who take the time (for those who wonder, yes she works ...2 jobs.. more than full time ) We had a horse still being ground driven who struggled thro the first round and them decided that his driver hadn't gotten him in trouble so he settled into the game on his second go, learning to bend his body nicely thro the cones. Another, older horse who has been driven for years, showed his driver she hasn't got his trust by attempting to refuse all but the most basic obstacles. he was stiff thro the weave cones, stood well at the fish pond but was terrified of the bear and even more so of the flags. I eventually 'rescued' him by going to his head and guiding him past. His next round we all laughed as this little guy tried his best to be brave and crouched down and sneaked past the dangerous spots,
default_laugh.png
, it was very amusing to watch him almost slide on his belly to be small an not seen by the bear. The fish pond was a big hit with the drivers, the bear and bridge seemed to be the hardest obstacles for many horses to overcome. Oh and almost no one really managed a decent pivot but I bet they all can do these thing next year if asked lol. We gathered afterwards for a hotdog roast and some conversation. The last people left here about 7pm - a long but fun day.

Thanks for letting me share and again for the ideas people gave me for setting up the obstacle course.

Latest posts

Back