Fun and Crazy Times at the Henry Boyd CDE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
For once I am actually on the ball about writing an event up and posting it with pictures! I never did write up Happs for here, though I wrote an article for CDW (Carriage Driving World). Oh well. In any case, this past weekend, my mom and I showed at the Henry Boyd CDE (combined driving event) in Woodside, CA, just south of San Francisco. There were only 5 VSEs (very small equines...under 39") there, which was unfortunately quite low, but there were a large amount of other turnouts. That included three tandems, a four-in-hand, and several pairs, along with the often-seen singles.

She showed Dapper Dan, a 6 yr old chestnut sabino(yes, he is a solid, just with lots of sabino roaning!) gelding, put to a Pacific Smart Cart with his new Tanglewood Farms custom harness, in the Preliminary VSE division. I drove Fascination, whom most of you ought to know, a 12 yr old sooty buckskin pinto mare, put to a Jerald Mini A with 30" wheels for dressage and cones, and a custom marathon roadster for marathon. Her harness is also Tanglewood-made, but not custom for her; the collar was made for my tandem wheeler, who was bigger and had a much heavier neck than her, and the rest of the harness was made for a 31" gelding, Oliver. We showed in the Intermediate division, for the fourth time at a CDE.

Our story begins as we arrive on the show grounds on Thursday afternoon. As usual, we are running late, and my mom has her dressage go in less than two hours. They ran all the Training entries and the VSEs(except for Intermediate) on Thursday because of the large numbers of entries. So we whip out the harness, dusting frantically, and I braid his mane and forelock. Midway through adjusting Dan's new collar, I realize the traces are nowhere to be found. "Mom, where are the traces?" "I don't know, I thought you packed them." "Nooo, you packed up your harness, I packed mine." "Uh oh." Yep, we forgot the traces, which makes it basically impossible to continue harnessing, as there is no way to pull the cart! Fortunately, we tried my collar on him, and it fit well enough to do dressage in.

Dan's dressage went ok, although he was quite certain that the judge's stand was going to eat him, causing a lot of counterbending and snorting down at that end of the arena. But his lengthened trot was nice and he wasn't fussy with his head(a recent development).

Warming up for dressage

Working trot

Lengthened trot

Showing off his new harness, except for my collar

Friday morning found us scrubbing my harness, polishing brass until it was too shiny to look at, and braiding Fascination. I decided to do the hunter-type braids with the yarn, and I really like how it turned out. Plus I love the pulled look anyway, not the fluffy pony look. I have been just banding them in, but I think these stayed better as well.

Fortunately, we timed it just right(not having to get two horses ready is wonderful), and so I had an hour of warm up. I know, that sounds like a lot, but as our average work time at home is about an hour and a half, it was just about right, especially as this was a high level test that takes a lot of suppleness and throughly warmed up muscles on the horse's part. And it paid off, because we got a 50.56 (68%), which is very good for Fascination. The turnout that won the Intermediate division of the show was only 6 points ahead of us in dressage. We were placed 5th out of 13 Intermediates after dressage, so all that dressage work is slowly paying off. We got 8s on both of the lengthened walks, and 8s on the lengthened trots, except from one judge who said the test calls for a lengthened trot NOT extended. LOL Our collected trot is getting there; that is the most difficult movement for her, but we did get ok scores there.

Have to actually post this one, because I think she looks very nice... :bgrin Yes, I am a proud mommy.

e83761e1.jpg

Halt

Working trot

Collected trot-she's having to think about it

Working trot from collected--Her reward after a collected trot is to stretch down, even if for a moment, so that is what she is doing here. Her back muscles work very hard and she will get resistant without a momentary release.

Coming down the centerline at a working trot

Saturday was marathon, and it dawned bright and sunny, promising to be quite warm. Mom did the full Prelim course, with a 2.9k Section A, a 1k Sect D, and a 5.7k Sect E; total: 9.6k, with 5 hazards. Dan is finally figuring out that hazards mean go fast! He really enjoyed himself a lot. Also, we made a stop at Carriage Driving Essentials and bought a set of Zilco traces to replace the traces left at home. This meant that Dan could use his collar on marathon.

Cantering around the water hazard

He can gallop fast in the collar!

A nice trot into the Stumphenge hazard

Fascination and I drove later in the day, with the intermediate entries. We did a 2.9k A, 1k D, and 7k E, with 6 hazards, coming to a grand total of 10.9k for marathon. Fascination was certainly not tired by it, but it was a good length of course, with lots of hills. Probably the best part was that Fascination's walk time was 5 seconds off of the Intermediate Horse walk time, based on a 6.5kph speed. So she was walking 6.4kph, and that was just walking along, not really trying to push her. Considering the Int. VSE walk speed is 4 kph, we came in very early (but in the D walk section, you are only penalized if you are over time). And the worst part of the marathon was that in Section E, in the third hazard, we bent a shaft. We were going too fast, and I realized the turn was tighter than it looked, so we caught a shaft on one of the stumps of Stumphenge. Fortunately, the bend was close to the end of the shaft, and the metal is fairly 'stretchy' and quite strong, so it lasted the rest of marathon. Our hazard times put us in second after marathon, with a score just 0.04 away from the leader in marathon (About 0.14 seconds slower in the hazards!). Unfortunately, I didn't get very many pictures from marathon.

Going through the water hazard, which she just blazed

Galloping out of the last hazard

And lastly was Sunday, the day of cones! It was blustery weather, with the wind snapping off hats, and the clouds intermittently covering up the sun. Dan was not behaving very well for cones, and the pair of them knocked off 3 balls. Oh well. It was a tricky course though, with lots of 'sucker gates' that look ok, but are angled just enough to catch you if you don't drive it straight. Fascination was much more interested in speed than precision(and to be honest, I was too), so we garnered 6 penalties, for knocking off two balls. Our victory lap was a full out gallop, which she very much enjoyed.

Dan

Speed trot

Big trot

Gallop for the finish line!

Conclusion:

Dan and Mom were second prelim VSE, fifth overall prelim (out of 30+ horses)

The first place Prelim VSE also cleaned up with the Overall Prelim Division award, in front of all the horses and ponies. WooHoo!! She had a decent dressage score, did well in marathon, and went double clean in cones(no time penalties and no balls down)!! She had gone to Happs and won Prelim VSE there too.

And Fascination and I were first Int. VSE (out of one), and second in the Overall Intermediate division (out of 13), with third several points behind us, and first 6 points ahead (darn those two balls in cones!!). We also got the Most Promising Young Driver award, which was very neat.
default_smile.png

Any questions, ask away!!
default_yes.gif
: I love to talk about my hobby!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, these are great reads!

I enjoy the photos and the narrative . Thank you....

Congratulations on another successful event!

Liz

Every time I read one of these write-ups about a CDE event, I think of how much fine it would be to get involved. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and congrats on your placings! It sounds like you did very well. Do you ever come up to Clay Station in Woodbrindge or Shady Oaks in Lodi for their events? Also, if you have a pony over VSE height, are they then in competition with the big guys?

Oh sure, post when you've told me you won't. Brat! LOL Good thing I check the forum about a million times a day.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

It looks like Dan has really improved in dressage and marathon, that's awesome. His collar looks more like a Eurocollar than Fascination's model, with the horizontal draft angle you were telling me about. Neat! Fascination of course is amazing and improves every time, but I've got to say my jaw dropped at some of those pictures. I don't know if it's the new braiding style, her darker color this time around, or what, but she looks completely like a little warmblood. I LOVE these two photos!

e8376174.jpg

e837616a.jpg

Way classy, Miss Bree.
default_wink.png
: :aktion033: You continue to be an inspiration to me.

By the way, my farrier came out today to correct Kody's trim and mentioned she'd meant to question you at Happ's about Fascination's shoes but forgot to. Can I give her your phone number/email? What she learns from you she's going to apply to Kody so give her the good stuff! LOL.

Leia

Edited to add: You know, I actually like the black hoof polish on her!
default_cheers.gif
:

Thank you so much for sharing. Those are awesome pictures............Kathy

Looks and sounds like you had a great time! Both your horses performed admirably well and look wonderful! I love that "lengthened" trot even if it is extended :bgrin Congratulations on a very successful show!

I love your posts and seeing your wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing. :aktion033:

Great pictures! Sounds like you guys had a great event, congrats!

Gotta admit, it's the dressage that facinates me, I've printed off a training level test that Hawk and I are going to work on as soon as I get him back working again after his lay off. Little does he know, since right now we're just walking to bring him back slow.

Congratulations!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: Awesome job! :bgrin Loved the pics and the narrative. :lol:

Thanks for sharing those pics and competition with us! I just love your little Dan....and love how you turn out your horses with plaits/braids. You all looked wonderful!!! :aktion033:

Thanks so much for the write-up! It is great! I am curious how tall is Dan? He looks very "smart" hooked to the Pacific! It is adjusted very much lower than my own Pacific cart, however Ally is quite tall for a VSE.

Aww, thanks guys! Now we just have to get some of y'all involved, eh?
default_wink.png
:

crponies, when I'm at school, I am about 60 mi. from Clay Station, which is in Wilton. I have indeed driven there, and the people are very nice. Woodland Stallion Station is much closer, about 30 min. away, and I have driven there also. I navigated and groomed at Shady Oaks CDE last year for a tandem and I will be a volunteer this year(they don't allow minis). Will you be there?? Its a really topnotch event! Also, if you have a pony that is over 39" at the wither(or actually 99cm), then they have to drive in the pony division(under 14.2hh and over 39"). But for Training and Prelim, some events will have decreased speeds for the small ponies--under 11.2 hh, I think. With the flatter events, I think an oversize VSE should be just fine pulling two at Pony speeds, if it is adequately conditioned and has basically good conformation.

Hey Leia I only said I didn't have internet...miracle of miracles...I got it working again and immediately decided to post! Thanks for the compliments, for whatever reason, I don't mind the hoof black either. But it was kind of a pain. *And for those whose name is not Leia: The reason I had to hoof black her was because the glue I am trying out to hold her shoes on is only easily accessible in the color black! Can't have her looking like she stepped into tar!

Al b, you would almost have me interested except I've already got a pair/tandem mate. :D

And Amy, Dan is 33.25" when he stretching. So kind of a little guy for the CDEs but certainly not that tiny! So yes, the Pacific is adjusted much lower for him than Fascination or Ally would be. Fascination's 35", maybe a bit more, especially with her shoes on.
default_smile.png

I would like to make it out to Shady Oaks to watch but will have to wait and see what is going on then. Where do you go to school? The reason I asked about size is I think my ponies range in height from about 38" to maybe 44" (my tall gelding who I think will make a fantastic driving pony if he ever gets trained). I've always thought CDE would be fun and then I saw the driving darby at the Equine Expo in Sacramento and was very impressed. I just need to get myself in gear and start saving for a nice cart and harness (have some but not suitable probably).

Jayne, I go to UCD. The 44" would do just fine, I would bet, in the pony class. You may not be very competitive at Prelim and above, unless he's got a lot of drive, but that certainly does not mean you two can't go out and play whenever he gets trained.

Well geez! I was at the Expo too--I gatored for the tiny tandem(that got stuck in the obstacle...yeah). We didn't do the derby because it was too tight for a very long couple of ponies. Wasn't that fun to watch?? :bgrin

You know, as long as the harness and cart are safe and solid, and you have breeching....generally you can show at Training level. Sure a nice, top of the line harness and cart look nice, but it is certainly not required!

And Leia, go ahead and give your farrier my contact info, I'd be happy to pass along my experiences with the shoes.
default_smile.png

I love the photos of Fascination. What a ride she must be -- a real Maserati!

Leave it to me to be the gearhead...tell us more about the Tanglewood harness. I love the wide saddle and the collar. I keep checking their website, hoping they will add info on them. Being custom, I assume they're fairly spendy? Will they make the collar alone?

Do you have any close-up shots of it?

Susanne, they did add info on the harness finally! I found it a couple days ago when I was checking. They do offer the collar by itself, and yes they are spendy. :no: I'm pondering getting one for Kody this winter since I REALLY think it would look classier with the Bellcrown than his Freedom Collar does. I love my FC, but it's a little wide on him to look as elegant as I'd like for dressage. Larger horses have no such problem but you know how tiny Kody is; it's easy to overwhelm him with too much leather. That's why I haven't bought him a neck collar either.

Leia

Sounds like you had a very successful day! It looks like so much fun. To me, it looks like eventing, but for minis. What is it called exactly?

Back