DIY Axle Draft

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jventresca

Reaction score
MajorClementine asked if anyone had changed the draft on a cart from the single tree at shaft height to an axle draft.

I did this with a Meadowbrook cart. This cart had heavier springs than the normal Meadowbrook.

JON_1569.jpg

I hung two straps from the crosspiece (located on the shafts near the body of the cart, usually slightly curved). I used two hold back or breeching straps with extra keepers. I suspended a single tree between them. I attached a chain to the floor board brackets as close to the axle as I could. I hooked the middle of the chain to the middle of the single tree. I used a neck collar on the horse because a breastcollar would twist and be uncomfortable.

Setup.jpg Front.jpg

side.jpg

You can see how the horse is pulling up from the axle, making the cart easier for him to pull. You can also see I used snap shackles to attach the traces.

This set up worked very successfully on the marathon section of the Gladstone CDE at Intermediate level.

Splash.jpg canter.jpg

We didn't win but Steel had the second best dressage score of all the Intermediate entries. A TB Connemara cross pony had the best dressage score. I swear these little horses are all heart!

Thank you for sharing! I really want to do this with my EE cart. I think my comfy fit breast collar will work because the traces buckle to D rings so they can swivel.

I do it hen I use my neck collars to make the line of draft efficient. Using axel draft with breast collars can be harder on the horse because the downward pull will cause pressure both on the top of the neck and at the breast strap itself.

I'm sure the comfy fit breastcollar will be fine. I had shaped breastcollars made by my harness maker before they became popular. I use a loop like a full cheek bit holder to tie the neck strap back to the check hook to hold the weight off the horse's neck. The breastcollar does twist a tad but the horses have all seemed happy to drive with this set up too.

This is Steel with his Bell Crown doing the cones at Lord Stirling CDE 2007. I got the Bell Crown after messing with the Meadowbrook and using it at Gladstone.

DSC_0341.JPG

This is Steel trying out the new Mini Carriage from Bennington last November 2015. He still looks pretty good at 16 years old.

12112042_961833853873109_2177755997265762235_n.jpg

I do have a strap that connects the neck strap to the saddle so it sounds like that will help. Hubby looked at the pics and is going to help me set up the EE cart so we can at least give it a try.

^^Steel is a fantastic looking horse!

Back