Fugly Horse of the Day Blog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle@wescofarms

Reaction score
I'm not sure if everyone is aware of Fugly Horse of the Day Blog - Fugly Horse It is a really well written Blog (I consider it a must read!) about all ding-dong, lame, what-were-you-thinking breeders/horse traders, owners and horders out there and most importantly what they produce/sell. It's aimed at the larger horses but minis have been appearing as of late.

They've just added a listing for Breeders that are willing to take back their own breed or horses they have bred. I did see a few breeders on their - kudos to you for being responsible. I'd love to see the Miniature industry be responsible for what we're putting out there. We have a wonderful rescue in CMHR, but I do believe anyone that breeds should take responsibility for what they put out there!

Off my soapbox!

I read a bit of the blog. I have to say we have our share of people not wanting to be responsable for their horses weather they bought or bred them. One horse turned up on craigs list that was turned loose and it was skin and bones. Then we have the people that want to lease their horses out for the winter. They want to let someone else feed, clean up after, trim the feet, keep the horse on the owners property, pay vet fees and come spring the owner will take over. The leasee gets no real value for the lease. Now if you are the horse owner it works out good for you. But, how many dumb people do they really think live here. Just because some got people to fall for it last year there are even more ads this year.

I'm on there. I may not be able to BUY them back, but I will take them back to save their lives. Always room for one more here....
default_wink.png

Lucy

I love the idea of recognizing those breeders who accept responsibility for those they have bred.

Since so many shop for miniature horses through LB, either on the sales board or by searching breeders' websites, is there any way we could create a "bug," like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval or the "Union Label," that would denote those who take this responsibility?

Some will say that this wouldn't do anything or that it wouldn't have any teeth, but I know if I were buying that I'd limit my search to only those who were so designated.

This (the breeder's list) came up on an Arabian message board that I frequent and I was really impressed by this concept and by the breeder's that are participating. I really hope a lot more breeder's continue to become aware of this list and add themselves to this list. Horse rescue is near and dear to my heart.

I have been involved with horse rescue off and on the entire time I have owned horses. Sometimes by "rescue" I mean that I see a horse that belongs to an idiot and I buy it even though I don't want it and keep it or find it a better home after I have fed it, treated it's illnesses and/or wounds, and worked with it (tame it and/or train it). The only Miniature Horse that I ever owned I "rescued". When I bought him he was tired to a big truck tire that he had to pull around from place to place in the yard to get to get to new, uneaten, unpooped on, grass. The tire was really too heavy for him and he was starved nearly to death. His feet were so overgrown that the ends curled up like elf shoes and my farrier had to come out and trim him every two weeks for months before they were normal again and everytime he trimmed them he had to cut past the quick (which eventually grows longer with an overgrown hoof) and he would be tender footed for a week.

Latest posts

Back