Frist time working with a stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocklone Miniature Horses

past member -I gotta get a life...
Reaction score
And so far so good.

I put the bridle on the first session to see his reaction, all good. So went ahead and long lined. He was totally fine (he has been done before, so this was not big news)

Next session i put the full gear on cause i'm not sure how far he was taken. He again didn't react at all and did all i asked.

Third session i put the cart into the tugs (after a good long warm up and i didn't connect the cart just set it there), cause i KNOW he hasn't had that done. He didn't blink an eye so i'm feeling good about moving on and getting him pulling the cart.

11954817_10206165515714327_1156159852999725550_n.jpg

He's a good looking guy and it appears he has a sound mind too. What a gift to you that is. If I could offer a small piece of advice - don't know how experienced you are so if you aren't knew to all this please excuse me - don't take his apparent easy acceptance as a reason to skip thro the steps too quickly. I've seen more than one horse started by inexperienced trainers that seems 'born trained' until they suddenly aren't and there is a wreck. Again, excuse me if you know the drill inside and out.

Oh im very much a novice, but i know not to skip the steps. He has been well started before, but as far as i know the cart was the next step so to speak. It will all b taken nice and slow
default_smile.png

That line you have attached to the harness will be useless if he decides to take off. You should have the reins in your hand. And the traces should be attached to the cart. You are having very good luck in that picture, but don't press your luck.

He is a very handsome boy! He will WOW driving.

One must be a confident, consistent leader for a stallion, no matter how docile he appears-- "first time working with a stallion", or any time.

Not sure what line you're talking about? Reins are in my hands. I have practices taking the cart on and off just the tugs for a good few weeks, he doesn't move. If he did move the cart would come out of the tugs so I think it was safer than putting traces on to start with. By first time I mean first stallion I have had to train not first ever time working with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not be too sure the cart would come off if he moved. Usually it would come off-'but then again you might be surprised how far that cart would go with hum if he were to take off. And if he moved forward then stopped suddenly--it would run up on him. I do not put the cart in the loops unless I keep hold of a shaft so I can hold it back. I also recommend not having the breast collar and traces on until you are ready to actually hitch. Certainly get him used to the traces and the breeching--but when you put the cart on him this way--leave those things off. Just too many straps to get things tangled up in

Latest posts

Back