Friends horse diagnosed with Anhydrosis...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Ridge Farm

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone on here has had a horse diagnosed with this disease. We know what it is, but we are wondering if anyone has tried anything to cure them of this and if it has worked. (For those that don't know....it means the horse does not sweat.)

Thanks,

Peggy

The mare in my Avatar is a non-sweater. We have tried One AC with no success. However, it has worked for some other people on the board. We even tried dark ale beer, as we were told that can help. Gave her a GREAT shine to her coat, but no sweat. We haven't come across anything yet that has allowed her to sweat. We still show her. We are just careful with her in the hot weather and keep her under fans, etc. She has an opposite work schedule of everyone else. She is worked and made fit in the late fall/winter/spring. Then I am able to coast her through show season without working her in the summer heat, as she comes out of winter fit. My "normal" horses are like everyone elses and fitted up during the spring/summer.

We just take extra careful measures with her. Fans, several hose downs a day in hot weather, etc. I feel very bad for her because I am sure it's not pleasant to not be able to sweat. But, we make her as comfy as we possibly can. And anyone who knows the mare, knows she gets everything she needs/wants ;o)

~Jen~

our June 2008 filly was diagnosed with anhidrosis after 2 days at Mid Atlantic equine hospital

here is a link to our experience with it which ended up great here we are 1 month later

after 2 weeks on One AC prescribed and she started to sweat like a normal horse

and now she is out all day with the herd and you'd never know she had a problem

so so far it has worked fantastic for her. We still keep an eye on her with the heat as bad as its been

and she is just as comfortable as the other foals.

you could tell she had a fever just looking at her before the treatment as she would breath very rapidly and sleep alot

link

I wish your friend the great turn around we have had with our filly

Jen: I hope you find something that works for your mare, as we only had a few weeks of the 2-3 x's a day hosing and it's not an easy road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend with a QH show mare who was a non-sweater....they eventually sold her to someone up north where it didn't get so hot. The mare did much better there, and it saved everyone a lot of work and worry. That was probably before the development of One AC, but it was a viable solution.

Jan

My Maggie doesn't sweat, she just lives all summer in her pool. She has her own wading pool and she will get in it when she starts getting too hot, roll, get out and walk around until she starts drying and then back she goes into her pool again. Whatever it takes to keep her cool.

I had a thoroughbred years ago that stopped sweating during the summer in Florida. He stayed inside with fans ALOT, but we only used the beer with Hopps in it and by the end of the summer he was sweating again and after that he was fine. I don't know if it was the beer or coincidence, but he started sweating again.

Amanda

Latest posts

Back