foundered gelding I brought home yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing pictures- are you certain he is foundered and not just suffering from thew awful hooves?

He's definately foundered,you could see it in his hooves when the farrier was trimming him. The farrier said he guessed it had been a year or so since he'd been trimmed. You could see in his hooves where he'd foundered prior,probably last spring and this spring. Unfortunately alot of new horse owners are unaware how easy it is to founder a horse on grass,they have good intentions just lack of knowledge.

Such a great person you are.. and your farrier did a great job.

Would not hurt to give banimine for a just a couple of days. Sometimes just one shot will do.
default_saludando.gif

Wow - what a difference after his first trim! I hope he makes a quick recovery. Kudos to you for taking this on; I hope before long we'll see trotting updates.
default_aktion033.gif

If he needs longer term pain relief, I had success using B-L pellets on my mini mare with laminitis issues. It comes in pellets, paste and solution; I use the pellets as they are easy to add to their daily feed. [Your fellow is a boy, so the don't give to pregnant mares precaution isn't a problem for you.] My girl was uncomfortable enough that she needed bute for a week before switching her to the B-L pellets, which she was on for 6 months (she was doing so good, I was afraid to take her off them, but finally did and she was just fine).

It is amazing how a good trim and a few days can make a difference isn't it! Mind you love and caring can count just as much - well done to your son, I'm sure his grooming was appreciated.
default_yes.gif

Anna

Fantastic job by you and your farrier. Buster was so lucky to find his angel. Hugs to you

Well, he is lucky to have found someone who not only cares but has a flipping good farrier that obviously cares, too!

I would give him bute, first off, I know you do need to be careful with it but you really cannot beat it when it comes to an anti inflammatory pain reliever.

Thanks Jane. My farrier is coming back today to do scheduled horses I will pass on on the compliments to him. Did I mention he only charges $35.00 a trim,I'm very lucky
default_yes.gif

So glad you got him and what an improvement! I bet he feels so much better and will improve more each day. I bet he is so happy you got him.

Sheri

default_saludando.gif
default_saludando.gif
Wow, I missed your initial post. What a vast improvement. I never would have believed you could get his feet back to that condition. He must be a bit ouchy but time will likely fix that.

Great Job
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif

Liittle update. I'v been turning him out with some of the more mellow minis but today at feeding time he was kickiing his wall giving major attitude to his neighbor. I decided if he was feeling this frisky he could go out with everyone(supervised). Any time a horse got even remotely close he was backing up kicking.Do you think this is him just being extra defensive? It was a little upsetting,sure hope he doesn't behave like this all the time. I can't figure why all the sudden he has a attitude? Feeling better?Anyway he is walking better every day
default_aktion033.gif

Has he been by himself for quite awhile? If he's been on his own for some time or most of his life, he might not know herd dynamics very well, and kicking is all he knows. Just a thought.

You sure he's a gelding? Just checking.

And, yes, it might be he's just feeling better, so now has an attitude.

I literally gasped outloud when I opened this thread. I'm so glad I'm no where near you because I seriously want to go beat someone up for letting this poor boy get like that
default_no.gif
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back