Found Something Fun to Do!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
I was over at another forum and ran across a question on Skijoring! They had a link of what it is and I came up with another idea! LOL

Since it doesn't snow here I figured maybe I could do this with roller blades on the street!!! I would have to train O So to drive but at least I wouldn't need a cart! I could just teach him the ground work and then add roller blades to me! LOL

So, what do I need to start training O So for something like this! Obviously a halter with a bit, but what size bit? What else does one need to add reigns and all?? I obviously wouldn't need anything to attach a cart to.

Here is a youtube video of Skijoring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Link didn't come up, but I can't see anything but a whole bunch of scrapes, bumps and brusies if this is what I think it is - is it having the horse pull you along on skates?

How do you stop? What if he runs away? What if you hit a rock? What he stops and you don't? Shivverrr!!

I thought the same thing myself. I can see it getting out of control real fast unless A) you are an expert skater and B) your horse is impecably trained at verbal commands. I think I'll stick to just my feet when ground driving my horse. I'm not very adventurous though.

Link didn't come up, but I can't see anything but a whole bunch of scrapes, bumps and brusies if this is what I think it is - is it having the horse pull you along on skates?

How do you stop? What if he runs away? What if you hit a rock? What he stops and you don't? Shivverrr!!
Ok, fixed the link!

Those are things to think about, that's for sure!! I was just thinking I wouldn't need a cart and would still be able to drive him! Can't think of anything like that for dirt! Besides a cart that is! LOL

l wouldn't even consider anything like that..sometimes the most seasoned of driving horses do unexpected things that can injure..but holy moly roller blades doesn't sound good for a greenie.
default_unsure.png

Yah, It obviously wouldn't be something to do right now! I was just thinking later down the road. When I and he is more experienced! Believe me, I'm not running out and buying roller blades! LOL Just looked fun!!

l've seen my daughter use a skateboard a few times and that was still a little dicy..but at least she could hop of fast enough to control things before they got out of hand she's also used her cross country skies in winter out in the fields..me l prefer to have my butt glued to a seat if l'm gonna drive.
default_biggrin.png

Looks like fun, but not for poor old me, I cannot ski, and the snow might be awful cold in the face. Enjoyed the video thou.

Good Luck, at least a mini horse would be smaller..
default_biggrin.png

l've seen my daughter use a skateboard a few times and that was still a little dicy..but at least she could hop of fast enough to control things before they got out of hand she's also used her cross country skies in winter out in the fields..me l prefer to have my butt glued to a seat if l'm gonna drive.
default_biggrin.png
I thought of the skate board too! We have a long board ( I think that is what it is called). Still, I wouldn't try it till we were both experienced drivers!!
default_biggrin.png

It looked like fun in the snow. I think that if you wanted to do this with roller blades, you would also need a helmet, all the leg and arm guards you could find, bubble wrap for the parts the guards don't cover and really, really go accident/health insurance. Oh, and don't forget, 911 preprogrammed into your phone.

It looked like fun in the snow. I think that if you wanted to do this with roller blades, you would also need a helmet, all the leg and arm guards you could find, bubble wrap for the parts the guards don't cover and really, really go accident/health insurance. Oh, and don't forget, 911 preprogrammed into your phone.
LOL !!! That is to funny, but probably true!! I think a skate board would be safer! LOL Like said above, one could jump off to help control the horse!

It would be like surfing, but with a hard landing if you wipe out!!! LOL

Still, I wouldn't try it till we were both experienced drivers!!
Well...under my timeline for "experienced drivers", that would be quite a few years from now! Driving one horse once in a while does not qualify as "experienced". I have been driving many horses for 20 years now, and 10 yrs. quite competitively, and I consider myself to be "semi-experienced" compared to the World-level drivers I know!
laugh.gif

There is one thing with skijoring on snow, but quite another on hard pavement. For me to do that would be saying that just because I know how to drive a car, I can enter the Indy 500! There is a certain amount of skill level to go with it.

Myrna (yup, I know, the one who rains on parades, but I really don't like it when driving is "simplified" so much. It is fun, but also dangerous, especially for the inexperienced. I shudder when I think of some of the dumb stuff we did when we were first starting out, and I know people that have done way worse and "got away with it" without a big wreck. I also know some that "followed all the directions" and still got a trip to the hospital, even with minis!)

dannigirl, on 20 November 2010 - 07:15 PM, said:
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_laugh.png

Myrna, with you 100% for once.
default_wink.png
(Although it does make me wonder where the incentive to "do things right" is when those who do get hurt and those who just mess around are often fine?
default_wacko.png
)

Kim, why worry about the equipment for how to do this when you're years away from trying? You won't be an "experienced driver" until you've had a cart and used it well and safely for many, many years.

Leia

Although it does make me wonder where the incentive to "do things right" is when those who do get hurt and those who just mess around are often fine?
Because, for the most part, people who DO follow the directions are fine. You don't hear about all the everyday good runs, but we do hear about the wrecks! The ones who don't follow directions and don't get hurt are just lucky! And of course, they might be noticed and "corrected" before something does go wrong. (I know Leia knows this, it was written for the masses.)

I have a collection of "driving wreck scenarios" that I have witnessed or people have sent to me over the years for educational purposes that are as simple as "the horse ran away, but I stopped it" to "the result was death" of both human or horse. I am almost anal about safety, but I haven't had a big wreck yet. I try not to put myself in situations that may result in a hospital trip. I suppose I'm not very much fun that way either, though. And if another driver is a "wreck waiting to happen", I'd rather they stay home as well, as to not be in the same arena as me!

Myrna

I saw a drill team with mini's and young girls, about 15 years old and they were on unicycles, I guess with those you could bail off if you had to.

Latest posts

Back