For discussion: AMHR: Ponies being

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little history lesson on that "horse" picture in the background.  Said "horse" is a Shetland drawing done by Gladys Brown Edwards in the 1950's for L. Frank Bedell's book "The Shetland Pony" to illustrate the parts of the horse.

surely you jest not the same as drew the ARABIAN....STANDARD HORSE.....OH MY 
That is strange!
new_shocked.gif
The famous Glady's Brown Edwards Arabian Horse is used on our National Championship Trophy to this day. Here is a picture of one on my desk.

For those who have never see the GBE Arab............

nc%20trophy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW so everyone breeding for that "arabian" type is actually right on the money if they are trying to breed for the illustration then.......kewl
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

My problem is with the shetland breeders picking our National Judges. I usually don't keep track of judges like some do. But here is an example of what went on in 2003. The three open judges chosen to judge the 2003 Nationals had judged a combined total of 6 Miniature shows in the past 2 years. One hadn't judged any. None of them even botheed to show up at Convention to recertify. When they were called on it, the directors just made up some excuse that it was okay. I don't know for sure if the same kind of stuff goes on now, but I wish we all knew just how these judges are picked, because the winneres of the National show determine the dirrection the breed goes. So if you have a pony boy picking a pony judge --there you go. Renee
Well said! Like in a earlier post, the miniatures are the ones that bring in most of the money too. If you disagree check the numbers at the shows.

hhpminis said:
Frankie said:
If I want to show a 35" miniature, why do I have to compete with a 38" shetland?

Many Ponies come in and take all the Jr. Grands, and then later out grow the classes, leaving miniatures, very nice miniatures with no Grands until they get into the Sr. Division.

I do not think this is such a problem anymore since AMHR adopted the height restrictions for the Jr horses. Yes it did used to be frustrating when you would take a 35" yearling in and have to show against a 38" knowing full well this would be the last miniature show that horse would ever qualify for. But I do not see it as such anymore.

456630[/snapback]

Exactly, How many 28" and under weanling mini/shetlands are you going to see? That's where my smaller mini babies go.

I don't breed small ponies. I like my ponies 44"-46", *but* I do have a AMHR only palomino mare with Master's/Whitmacks breeding. Her 2005 palomino pinto filly by my senior AMHA/AMHR/PtHA stallion Magic is AWESOME...I can't WAIT to get her into the ring at Nationals. She will show in the 28" to 30" class I think.

Good Morning,

I would like to reply to the statement regarding your National Judges being "Pony" judges. How many of you have taken the time to look at our judges roster in the back of your "Journal". I can venture to say none of you have paid any attention but will give you a bit of information:

Area 1:

# of Judges carded both ASPC/AMHR 15

# of Judges carded AMHR only 6

Area 2:

# of Judges carded both ASPC/AMHR 26

# of Judges carded AMHR only 1

Area 3:

# of Judges carded both ASPC/AMHR 16

# of Judges carded AMHR only 3

Area 4:

# of Judges carded both ASPC/AMHR 16

# of Judges carded AMHR only 2

Area 5:

# of Judges carded both ASPC/AMHR 15

# of Judges carded AMHR only 2

Area 6:

# of Judges carded both ASPC/AMHR 18

# of Judges carded AMHR only 4

Area 7:

# of Judges carded both ASPC/AMHR 18

# of Judges carded AMHR only 6

Total of Judges ASPC/AMHR Carded..... 124

Total of Judges AMHR only.................... 24

As a show committee chairman, I would like to say that each and everyone of these "Pony" judges as you put it are very qualified to judge a miniature horse. Most of your judges started their career in the ponies and them picked up their AMHR cards after that part of the registry was opened.

Our club, the ASPC/AMHR Club of N. Texas was the very first club to include the ponies in their show bill. Why? Because we had a member who moved here from Indiana, who was a true pony person and had no place to show his ponies. In 1997 we changed our club's name from the AMHR Club of N. Texas to the ASPC/AMHR Club of N. Texas and then added the pony division. We are now host to two of the largest "local" shows held in the entire US with well over 300 miniatures/ponies in attendance. My show committee strives to bring in the most qualified judges across the country that are carded both ASPC/AMHR. Guess we are doing something right as we are having judges contact us to come down to judge for us.

How many of you know how your Nationals judges are picked? Not many. Well, now is the time to let your AMHR Miniature National Committee know (2005 National Convention is around the corner). You can contact the committee chair by mail (Ray Kovarik, Bob Brown or Larry Parnell), submit three names to them to be added to the AMHR list. Those of us that attend convention, and attends the AMHR committee meeting also put our choices down. The judges with the most votes are then sent to the BOD to review and if they qualify according to our by-laws then they will be contacted by the show manager.

Sometimes we will end up with some judges that haven't been judging much or are not good judges at all (as in the past). As you can see by the numbers there are more "pony" judges that hold AMHR cards than AMHR judges please don't put them down.

Thanks.

Karen Shaw

Show Committee Chair

ASPC/AMHR Club of N. Texas

My original thread was speaking of those horses that are double registered. I was not specific enough and thank you to those who picked up on the fact, that was what I was trying to say. My fault for not saying exactly that.
I am curious, to those who breed and show shetlands. If they are registered both, why do you show AMHR shows? I do understand they have every right in the world to do so, I am just curious. Honest, sincere question.

Is AMHR more competitive? More horses in shows? Closer to where you live? Cheaper? Or????? Just wondering.
Ok..just will add my opinion to this part.

With this past year, my friend bought a 36" shetland bred stallion. He is only two and so he showed him in ASPC this year. Now he won all of the junior championships, but when it came to competing agaist a 46" tall pony in the grand....he just couldn't do it. These horses were so big that from the side, you couldn't see our horse except for his legs. Like someone said on here before, Its like trying to compete a little 28" horse against a 34" horse. Samething, only a little taller. So next year we are going to be harshipping him into the minis. It seems like the only fair thing to do since he can't compete against something 10" taller than him.

Amanda

Frankie said:
If I want to show a 35" miniature, why do I have to compete with a 38" shetland?Many Ponies come in and take all the Jr. Grands, and then later out grow the classes, leaving miniatures, very nice miniatures with no Grands until they get into the Sr. Division.

Shetlands, ministures, different horses, how about different classes? Or, lets just take away miniature shows all together and we can all go show with Arabians? To a miniature owner, yip, already feels like we are.

I know time is short for shows, adding more classes takes more time. But will those who only want miniatures continue to pay the money it takes to get to shows if they will only continue to show agains Ponies that they know, a big percentage of the time, they can not and will not beat? Afer listening to many people this weekend, I can tell you the answer to that, is a no. Then we just end up with shetland classes anyway.

This is not about one show, it is happenining at all shows. AMHR

Do not take offense, this has nothing to do with Shetlands and/or those who chose to breed and show them. Personally, they are gorsous animals. But my choise is to show miniatures, and against other miniatures would be nice.

456609[/snapback]

wow iam so confused now (although doesnt take much these days
wink.gif
) did i just see that you were looking for a AMHR/ASPC horse to SHOW???????
wacko.gif

Well, I am looking for a filly, AMHR, about 36"

but AMHR/ASPC is fine as well.

Actually Lisa, your Paco in a girl form would be nice.

I never presented this question as, this is the way I feel, just wanted to see how others felt. Have heard both sides for about 3 years now and wanted all of your opinions. I said a few times, I am not ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, and continue to still be "out" on that and have read and listened to all sides.

Most of that thread I was speaking, saying what had been said to me. As in those at the shows. I think I also said I do not care to show my 35" against them, she wins, why would I care.

Just a in general thought, brought forth by things I had heard, and put up for discussion.

But now I am considering it a book instead of a discussion.
biggrin.gif

Sometimes when you say something, as in I say something, I do need to add, "for example" or IF this was said, or IF this were to happen.

But don't always do so, just the statement in general comes out of my mouth. But I know I did say, I wasn't one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If you can't beat em join em" isn't that the old saying......or "when in Rome..."
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the compliment on paco i am so very lucky to have found him!
smile.gif
and actually he is R only not aspc papered ( I think anyway i guess i should have asked that before huh lol)

risa_suelos.gif
risa_suelos.gif
risa_suelos.gif

Ask any of my friends, or those who KNOW me,

when in Rome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I sure do NOT do what the Romans do!

And as for, if you can't beat them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well Sophie does beat them on a very very consistant basis, I don't need to join anyone,,,,,,,, but she is retiring from the show ring this year and I am looking for a filly to replace her spot on our show string. So is it ok that I do that????????

runamuk said:
"If you can't beat em join em"  isn't that the old saying......or "when in Rome..."
biggrin.gif

457909[/snapback]

Lol runamuk that is so funny! Seems thats whats happening doesnt it!
wink.gif
yes.gif

Lyn

Lol runamuk that is so funny! Seems thats whats happening doesnt it!

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

but she is retiring from the show ring this year and I am looking for a filly to replace her spot on our show string.
Above quote was written before the first quote. Maybe you missed it.

[SIZE=14pt]I didnt miss it Frankie, we arent talking specifically about sophie just the choice of replacement in general. We all know Sophie is a fabulous mare. Come on.....see the smiley face???
biggrin.gif
[/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back