follicle size

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniluver

Reaction score
Does anyone know the average follicle size for miniatures to ovulate? I had a couple mares preg checked today and 2 were open and one had several follicles. The biggest was 29mm. My vet is just learning about ultrasounding miniatures. We just weren't sure how close she was to ovulating. Any help would be appreciated.
default_wacko.png
:

With a 29 mm follicle, she should ovulate in the next few days. It varies a bit from mare to mare, so cover her tomorrow and then every other day.

With a 29 mm follicle, she should ovulate in the next few days. It varies a bit from mare to mare, so cover her tomorrow and then every other day.
Ok I tried breeding her and she came unglued. She would not let him breed but he actually wasn't too interested. He didn't act like she was in. Wouldn't you think she would at least be showing to the stallion if she were a only a few days out?

You said the vet is new, sure she wasnt wrong?

Ok I tried breeding her and she came unglued. She would not let him breed but he actually wasn't too interested. He didn't act like she was in. Wouldn't you think she would at least be showing to the stallion if she were a only a few days out?
Well, no not positive but the mare had what looked like 2 small follicles on her right side and 1 bigger and 2 small on her left. They looked way different then the one mare that had a small embryo inside her uterus. The vet is new to minis but he specialized in vet school with equine. He's done many u/s on big mares.

I have ultrasounded several mini mares throughout their cycle and have had them ovulate from 32mm to 52mm depending on the horse
default_smile.png

They just love to keep you guessing!

Even in minis 4mymirage? I'm kinda surprised... that's very similar to big horses. I guess they aren't quite as different as people think ;)

Yes Nathan... I was surprised too - today I breed my Buckskin 36" mare on a 51 mm follicle and a just as "hot" in heat 32" mare with a 43mm.... go figure :eek:

I think you have brought up a good point. What size mini is it that was a 29mm ?

In my experience, the larger the mini, the larger the follicle.

I only have 34 and smaller horses. When the mares here go over 50 mm before ovulating we do not typically get them pregnant that cycle.

They usually ovulate between 35 and 40 mm.

Usually with a 29 mm follicle they are doing some squatting and peeing ort at least winking for a stallion.

If the stallion is experienced he will know when it is right.

Are you handbreeding?? If so, why??

The mare is 32 1/2". She still has not shown or acted interested an any of my stallions. It has been over a week now. Either she has a retained follicle or I missed it. I just can't figure her out. I am hand breeding her because the stallion is only 28" but I may end up switching to a taller stallion and just letting her live with him and hope for the best. I hand breed her way back in April because she was showing to the stallion and she hasn't done it since!!!

That's what started this whole thing. I just figures she was bred so I had her ultrasounded and they didn't find a baby but several follicles. The biggest was 29mm. The vet figured she would ovulate soon but we weren't sure how big a follicle gets on minis. I may try taking her back this week to see if it is still there.

Some follicles just receed and do not go on to ripen. Usually this happens earlier in the year, but I have one mare doing this now. There are ways the veterinarian can get the follicle to enlarge with an injection.

There are other things as well. She might not like the new stallion. I have seen them in heat by sono, but kick at the stallion. There is incompatability and some mares test the stallion.

I have shown her 4 different stallions!!!! Talk about picky! I really think I may have her reultrasounded just to see what is still there. We may also need to try to restart her cycle artifically. I sure appreciate everyone comments.

Latest posts

Back