Foals with colic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schutzandwhinnies

Reaction score
We had to call the vet out yesterday for our little Rosco, Barbie's foal. He was 3 days old yesterday and he was rolling and thrashing about. The vet has given us meds to give him for the next 5 days. He is a good boy and is taking it fine. They had to put a tube in him and put 250 cc of a few different meds right into his tummy. (we thought he was gonna pop ) also gave him a very tiny dose of Bamamine? (sp) for any discomfort to try and help him calm down. Well it all has worked so far. He hasn't rolled or thrashed since. We have been watching him around the clock literally. The vet says watch him for a few days and he should be fine. We are so scared now that we are afraid to leave the house without at least one person on watch at the monitor.

Have any of you folks that have had foals colic have it happen soon after again? He is passing his poops and peeing and nursing every 30 min or so and loves to romp outside. So we are not sure what it was???

Well, I'm sure happy to hear the treatment is working!
default_yes.gif
:

From what I understand with young foals, the two main causes for colic is they're eating a foriegn object - even a dry piece of mom's poop....OR ingesting some of mom's fur while nursing.

It sounds like your little guy has passed what ever it was, since he's been pooping and acting normal again.

MA

It's really hard to know what is bothering them, we go with preventative wherever possible.

We generally give banamine for colic (along with a probiotic for their stomach) to all horses. It helps to relaxe them which can help pass manure. We will also give pepto/oil if need be for a belly ache. With foals you really don't want to mess around though, as they can get very sick quickly and crash.

I would personally keep him on whatever meds the vets perscribed for the next few days and really monitor his pee/poop to nursing ratio.

You can collect and check his poop for sand (or foreign objects) by placing in a large jar with water - shake thoroughly and wait to see what settles on the bottom.

It's also good to learn about baby poop. The meconium should pass after a foal starts nursing (the colostrum softens it), but if it doesn't an enema can help (talk to your vet). This can back up a baby if it doesn't. Also what is a good consistency for baby poop - not too hard, not too soft, not too watery, not mucousy, etc.

Worms can also be a factor. Deworming the mare 45-30 days before foaling and within 12 hours after foaling seems to help.

Best of luck.

I had a foal with ulcers which finally she outgrew... she had stopped nursing... would only pick at her hay and was colicky and had to go on IV fluids for 12 hours.

Hope your little one is feeling better!

Denise

Silversong Farm

Thanks for the info.
default_yes.gif
:

His poopies are shaped like dog poop still, but are not hard. I showed them to the vet and he said they were normal. He passed 2 big poops with the meconium on the first day and then 1 the next day. They just look like dog poopies now. We did a immune blood panel on him and they said his IIG was over 1600 and his heart rate and temp was normal too. We worm Barbie every 8 weeks and she has been wormed with ivermectin since the foal has been born. The foal is a pro at taking his meds now and he hasn't rolled since the vet treated him. We are all still taking shifts watching him on the monitor and all of us still take a deep breath and hold it when he goes to lay down to see if he will roll or not. Gosh it's very scary and once it happens you are so paranoid it is hard to stop watching him. He is sleeping normal and wakes up to eat and then play for a moment and back to sleep since Sat when it all happend. So my brain is telling me he will be fine, but my heart is screaming watch the monitor. We have the cordless monitor so we can take it in the kitchen or where ever we have to go up to 300' so we can keep an eye on him even in the potty :lol:

Well thanks for your input guys and we'll do our best to keep our eyes :new_shocked: peeled for any trouble. Wishing everyone a great week, normal happenings, and sleep :saludando:

Thanks Amy

Latest posts

Back