Foals born with leg problems questions?Wow hugh different in her legs at two weeks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the product I use for foals with leg issues. http://prognutrition.com/rejuvenaidepaste.html This is the paste. It comes in a liquid and powder version, too.

I have a 4 yr old mare whos legs were worse than your filly at birth. She was practically walking on the backs of her knees in front. I kept her and her dam confined to their stall during the first week only letting them out in a small area for about an hour at a time. After that, turnout for longer periods of time in a small paddock. The filly improved dramatically and was quite a successful show mare as a 2 yr old. She's now expecting her first foal at 4 yrs of age.

I know that everyone has their own opinion and even vets will differ, but here is an example that many of you have seen, but needs to be shown again for those who haven't seen him. NOTHING was done, no shots, no confinement, but he was allowed to be outside and walk, run, and get stronger, something that will never happen in a stall.

twisterlegs.jpg

Grown:

twisterlauren.jpg

We have had a couple of foals down on their pasterns, and our vet is just the opposite of all your responses. He believes the foal NEEDS to get exercise outside running and playing. I usually give them the run of the barn which is 56 feet and a small outside turnout in the sunshine. The foal is UP in less then a week
default_yes.gif

My vets have said if not severe than yes, exercise is the answer. But if severe, absolutely do not let them outside or you're just asking for heel bulb or fetlock lacerations which can turn very bad.

In the past I have had a couple of foals born with legs like your filly - one much worse. I still follow my normal newly foaled mare and foal rountine with them - stabled at night, and out for the first few days for 3 separate hourly sessions. But the night time stable is bedded up really deeply and then 'stamped' down to a smooth surface and the daytime paddock has a really thick covering of good grass - never had a problem with sore heels using this method. The other thing to consider is the mare - mares that are contained (especially mares who have perhaps been spending more time contained in their stalls waiting to foal) even for a few days, will often set off for a run around once they are let free, even in a small space, which is not good for the foal. We have found that having the mare out to graze regularly after foaling - even keeping her on a lead and standing with her and the foal for the first day, helps the mare to stay calm when first let free.

And yes, sensible exercise does seem to help 'problem' legs improve faster than stable confinement in the cases I have had.

YEAH !! She looks MUCH better
default_aktion033.gif

Congratulations on your adorable filly
default_wub.png

I know that everyone has their own opinion and even vets will differ, but here is an example that many of you have seen, but needs to be shown again for those who haven't seen him. NOTHING was done, no shots, no confinement, but he was allowed to be outside and walk, run, and get stronger, something that will never happen in a stall.

twisterlegs.jpg

Grown:

twisterlauren.jpg
Thank you Tony.My filly is looks better
default_smile.png

I can't post on photobucket from computer did they change something
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It was ok for me a couple of days ago - could you perhaps e-mail the pics to someone on here and get them to try (I would offer but am almost completely illiterate with computer workings!)

Send a pm to Diane, she is always so good at helping with pictures that dont want to post.
default_yes.gif

Before at birth

IMAG0504.jpg

wow hugh different in her legs today at two days old

IMAG0544-1.jpg

IMAG0536.jpg

you would never guess it was same filly
default_smile.png
She is so funny. She is full of herself

I am so amazed at the different
default_smile.png

in two days

what you all think?

IMAG0542-1.jpg

IMAG0539-1.jpg

her running
default_smile.png

I am so thankful she is getting better.God is Great
default_smile.png

Do you think she could have some time out in pasture, because my mom is wanting some grass
default_smile.png

IMAG0538-1.jpg

I was told never to use splints or supports- as that does not help develope the strength and muscles needed. My vet told me that excercise is the best thing.

I had a foal born that was so down on all four he was walking on the back of his ANKLES. I had bought the mare bred, and she was thin when she arrived, so I think was lacking in things.

It took him about 4 months before I was able to call him completely normal, but he did come up and placed well at a show at 5 months. It is surprizing what some foals are born like and in no time are straightened up and doing great.

Your baby looks great to me and I dont think she looked that horrible to begin with- I have seen much worse with people's foals over the years. Let them go play!!

i so excited I am on cloud 9 on her leg improvement. Do you all think she is coming along great?I was shocked when her legs were like they were at birth,but WOW I am so thankful they are getting better. I give my horses my love,vet and supplements and feed then I get LOL.Some people said I love my horses better then people because I treat them so well LOL

Hahahaha, I hear ya- my horses come first too. I think your baby is doing great.

Your foal is looking great!! Yes, I would let the mare have some outside time. Just keep her under control where she doesn't run the baby all over the country side. They'll both enjoy being out.
default_smile.png

A short time outside I think would be great, the problem is, is keeping the lil one from exerting herself. That makes the muscles tired and then they get weak again. Just think how good her legs will look in another few days. Then they can have lots of turn out time.

Latest posts

Back