Foals born with leg problems questions?Wow hugh different in her legs at two weeks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not turn her out. I cannot see the pictures, only one set from just after birth, I think. I would keep the mare up for at least a week and then give her a small space to go into and a short time out , steady and slow. I have had foals like this, and yes it is scary and no, you should not splint. It is a leap of faith not to splint, but it does no good, believe me. The danger if you turn out too soon is that the foal will, naturally , over do it, as the foal has no idea there is anything wrong. All the ground you have made up can be lost in half an hour. Take it slow, you have the rest of her life!

ashleyprom2012pintofilly029.jpg

i am having problem upload photos to photobucket. is anyone else having problems

ashleyprom2012pintofilly 043.JPG

ashleyprom2012pintofilly 029.JPG

my filly legs looking great after two days
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So happy to see her improving. I am also having problems with photobucket. I can only advise from my one foal, listen to Jane and keep the dam and foal in a small area for awhile. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. My vet told me to keep my foal in the stall for two days, and then in a small turn out area for a week. Her front leg was bent in ward from being pinned before and during birth. It did cause her discomfort, but the two stall days, and a very small paddock worked wonders. After that we turned them loose and she became our little *turn and burn* speed demon and she never had another problem. I also used the Rejuvinade paste.

Pictures didn't show up for me, but if it weak pasterns they generally do self correct. We had one slightly premie filly we had to put in popsicle stick "shoes" for a week or so to help her along, but she matured just fine. I keep a picture of the worst legs we've had on a foal, just to remind myself that yes, it will be ok LOL. This mare went on to be an Honor Roll and Central Regional Champion Youth Mare, so there is always hope.
default_smile.png

OK, now I see your pictures....she should grow out of that - or into those legs.
default_smile.png
Good suggestions in other posts.. pretty foal.

Bowfoalpicture-1.jpg

Here she is at 5 days She is looking Good.What you all think.She looks like another horse :)Also her sorrel color has lighten alot. It would be nice if she turn palomino lol since her sire is palomino wish for thinking, but i have seen soon change.

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0568.jpg

Looks like she is doing great, and you have soft grass for turnout- nice! I dont see that she is going to have any problems. And she definitely appears sorrel to me

Wow what an improvement- this whole process has been very informative for me, thanks for posting the photos
default_smile.png

here she is at two weeks

Temperanceduffy41512 018.JPGTemperanceduffy41512 026.JPGTemperanceduffy41512 058.JPG

I hope this helps others

she will be three weeks this friday
default_smile.png
Temperanceduffy41512 101.JPG

It's no wonder those LOOOONG legs of hers got a bit bent outta shape inside mom! She is looking great - good job. You obviously handled the whole ordeal perfectly. I can just imagine how you felt when you saw such a pretty foal standing so badly. I bet it lifts your spirits to see how she is turning out now
default_thumbup.gif

I'm glad Tony posted his example of what some exersize and time can do...... We've found this to be true for us. Of course there are some exceptions when the problem is horrendous .

Horse owners/breeders also need to check out if their region is selenium deficient. This can often cause foals to have lax tendons at birth, especially if

1. The mare isn't being fed grain with sufficient selenium in it or hasn't been given a selenium supplement.

2. The foal isn't given a shot of selenium and vitamin E at birth..........This alone can transform things in a matter of 48 hours. Because our soil is selenium deficient, so is any locally grown hay we feed, so we give our foals the shot.

On the OTHER end of the spectrum, there are regions in the U.S. and Canada that have TOO MUCH selenium in the soil, so giving any kind of supplement with it can cause different problems. There are sites on line that show the different regions, but they aren't exact, so talking to your vet and extension agent about selenium in your area's soil is a good thing to do, IMO.

Latest posts

Back