Foals born with leg problems questions?Wow hugh different in her legs at two weeks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey

What cause some foals to be born with different legs in front or back? I know sometimes foals will be born with what we call foal legs. Do you all have pictures of your foals legs before and after? I want to know if you have to have vet help with legs or will it collect itself?I had a foal born this morning at 10am.I am worry about her front legs.

Thanks

i have had foals born close to hers but not this bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMAG0504.jpg

I'll be interested to hear other responses. We have had a few that were down on their pasterns but not to this degree. Hopefully she "pops up" for you.

I have heard of people "splinting" but not sure about that either.

Wishing the best for your baby.

I know Tony had a foal one time very bad turn out great I would love to see that foal photos Tony
default_smile.png

I had a foal born in 2008 & her legs bowed outwards. My vet said she was born premie & her joints & bones didn't have the strength to hold up her weight, so I kept her in the stall for 2 weeks till her legs could hold her weight then turned her out. Well, by the end of the day her legs were bowed again. The vet said that when she legs got tied they bowed. For the next 2 months she was only allowed out for a couple of hours at a time, so we didn't cause permanent damage to her joints & bones. Her has nice straight legs. Just have to take your time.

I would suggest that you put her on soft ground to protect the backs of her fetlocks, maybe limit turnout for a few weeks to see if they come up by themselves. Put enough bedding to protect her legs, but not to deep that she has trouble getting around. Also talk to your vet. Splints can cause sores if they slip.

Usually the mare lacks in the vitamins selenium and E, that cause this. If you make sure you have your mare on a good vitamin suppliment you will notice a big difference.

Since I keep my mares on a good vitamin supplement, I have not had this problem.

But for foals that are born this way, they can give them a vitamin E and selenium shot and that will help a lot.

I have heard also some say to let them out to exercise and then some say to keep them stalled until they get stronger.

I had a filly that was ULTRA refined and early and her knees went backwards like yours. My vet recommended keeping her stalled until she was stronger. She filled out great and was perfect in no time.

It also helps to have the farrier keep her feet trimmed the right away to help her break over right and sooner and get her up on her heels.

If she was mine I would have the vet out to give her the vitamin E and selenium shot.

Good luck and I am sure she will turn out fine.

The foal may be a bit preemie. With such lax tendons you want stall confinement to not over stress the tendons more. This type of problem can also be due to a lack of certain vitamins and minerals in the mare's diet during gestation. After the foal is 7 days old you can start her on Rejuvenaid (vitamin ADE + minerals I think) It is designed for this kind of thing and I've had good luck with it. Be sure the mare's diet is a high quality mare and foal feed so that she can pass the needed nutrients on to the foal through her milk.

Splinting usually isn't the best idea and sometimes will cause more problems than it cures so you may want to try stall confinement first. Stall confinement until the legs begin to strengthen, usually a few days, then short turn out periods several times per day gradually making the turn out times longer. Use a small turn out area so mom mare doesn't wear baby out. you will see that baby's legs are looking stronger then after turn out they may revert which means turn out was too long at that time.

Such a pretty filly. Any we have had with lax tendons like that were perfectly normal in a month or two, but after we started using Progressive Diet Balancer we have not had this problem. But I do think your filly looks a bit premature/dismature.

She does have a pretty severe case of weak pasterns. For weak pasterns like hers, stall rest. Don't let her run around outside because she will get heel bulb and pastern lacerations. You should see improvement within the next few days, and if not, then get your vet out to check her to see if she needs splints or special "shoes". I really dislike splints, but if done right for pastern weakness, she shouldn't need them for more than a few days to help correct it. The "shoes" (or pads added to the back of the hoof) can really do wonders as well.

Don't worry too much yet-weak pasterns are fairly common and her supporting soft tissues just need to strengthen.

Congrats on your new little one!
default_smile.png

I believe many may advise that lack of selenium can do this as well as being seen among premies. Over the years many topics have come up like this. Many times advice would be to remove the slippers, bed very deep when stalled, allowing her adequate room to play to allow those muscles to do their job, and if she is still down showing no improvement in her fronts a few days talk with both a vet and a farrier, sometimes vets like to splint, sometime farriers are able to make epoxy glue shoes to correct the angles and help encourage correct tendon growth.

Tony from Little America had a foal who had legs that were completely bowed back, with little to no interference, that mini straightened up as strait as straight could be, by the time it was two you would have never guessed it ever had an issue.

Thanks you all for your help. This is first time for me this bad. She is so sweet
default_smile.png
.My mare has had her supplements and shots
default_smile.png
Did any of you have problems with foals nursing because of their legs?The filly is nursing but I worry because of her legs.The vet wants to watch her few days to see how she does.

I pray she gets better soon. I was looking forward to her so much.I am only post her to help me and others. I know alot of folks want show this time of stuff worried about what folks will say.I want to learn and help others that is what we are here for.

I have to her the maiden mare had this filly. It was tight fit,I got to her just in time to save them both. Her front leg was turn wrong, because her dam vurva area opening was very tight. I had to help deliver the filly. I had to go in to get her leg and pull (I hate to have to pull on legs but she wasn't coming out she was stuck)With Vet's help we save them both thank God.

I've had foals born that look like that. Lax tendons and ligaments. Correct diet for the mare and stall confinement until the legs start to strengthen. You will begin to see daily improvement. By the time she is a few weeks old, I'm betting she will be close to normal. Good luck with her!

I've had foals born that look like that. Lax tendons and ligaments. Correct diet for the mare and stall confinement until the legs start to strengthen. You will begin to see daily improvement. By the time she is a few weeks old, I'm betting she will be close to normal. Good luck with her!
What should I give mare and foal to help.What all do you call correct diet? What all do you all give for mares with foals like this?

I'm no help on this topic, but interesting to see and read everyone opinion.

Cute foal though!

I had a filly born a few years ago with very lax tendons. Her knees actually bent backwards! My vet gave her a shot of Vit E/Selenium, and by the next morning she was almost normal! By the third day, you'd never have known anything was wrong. She's a little girl's show horse now!

Please don't wait for a couple of weeks or months before contacting your vet if your little beauty isn't improving. All of the vets that I have "shadowed" really want people to have the foal checked out if after 3 or so days there is no improvement. The sooner the treatment, the better.

Melissa, a feed designed for mares and foals will help. One that carries the correct mineral balance as well as adequate levels of Vitamins A, D and E. A product containing addtional vitamins and minerals for the foal will help, too. Progressive and Buckeye make these. There may be others. Again, stall confinement until those tendons and ligaments strenthen. And they will. Then turnout in small areas initially. Good luck. She'll straighten up.

Please don't wait for a couple of weeks or months before contacting your vet if your little beauty isn't improving. All of the vets that I have "shadowed" really want people to have the foal checked out if after 3 or so days there is no improvement. The sooner the treatment, the better.
O no I would't wait weeks for my sweet filly
default_smile.png
I have been talking to our vet.Her legs look better this morning. I will try to take photos later

Melissa, a feed designed for mares and foals will help. One that carries the correct mineral balance as well as adequate levels of Vitamins A, D and E. A product containing addtional vitamins and minerals for the foal will help, too. Progressive and Buckeye make these. There may be others. Again, stall confinement until those tendons and ligaments strenthen. And they will. Then turnout in small areas initially. Good luck. She'll straighten up.
could you show me what supplement you use? I am trying to get something today.She has minerals she can licks.I am confused on why this sweet filly legs are like this.I am been raising minis for few years. i have try to get them everything my vet told me to. Is the dirt maybe different or something?I had a nice colt last year no problems born same place.

Tony email me photos of his foal that was worst then might why different horse.

Latest posts

Back