Foaling Supplies and Medications

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeless

Reaction score
I have tried searching the forum and just can't find what I'm looking for. I know I have seen discussions on what foaling supplies to have ready. Also there was a post I remember on medications to have on hand for the newborns in case of diarrhea or respiratory problems. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone would like to share what they do.

Thanks

Lynn

www.timelessminis.com

This is what we have in our foaling kit:

• clean towels
  • fleecy foal blankets & heavier foal blankets
  • surgical scissors
  • Equidone / Domperidone
  • banamine
  • baby enemas
  • betadine
  • ivermectin
  • vet lube
  • vet wrap
  • stethoscope
  • thermometer
  • pancake syrup
  • twine
  • syringes (various sizes)

For diarrhea, our vet recently advised to give 10cc of Pepto Bismol 2x a day until it firms up and also said probios would be good in addition to the pepto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill is the "Pancake Syrup"

Karo Syrup?????

If not, please explain the Pancake Syrup use.

Does anyone have an online store that they buy their Nolvasan from, other than in one-gallon containers? I'm running low and have only been able to find gallon jugs of it online so far. I don't want to have to pay extra shipping for that big of a bottle that I don't need anyway. If this one mare ever foals I may have a window of opportunity to go shopping at "real" stores, but if she waits too long I may not be able to before the next one is ready.

Thanks for any help!

You can find Nolvasan in your local drug store in small bottles. It is used for humans too.
default_smile.png

You can find Nolvasan in your local drug store in small bottles. It is used for humans too.
default_smile.png

Thank you Joanne! I should be able to get hubby to stop in somewhere and get some for me then, if I write the name of it down for him. Good to know!
default_smile.png

I keep a plastic tote box in my mare barn with the following supplies in it:

• Towels, usually 2 -3
  • Lube - K-Y or an equivilant
  • Box of latex gloves
  • 60 cc syringe with the tip cut off and the plunger inverted to use as a breast pump
  • Surgical scissors
  • Smaller towels/wash cloths to use to grab slippery feet if I need to pull
  • Dog leash with a looped end

I generally use 1% iodine spray to treat umbilical stumps with. Though I don't keep it in my box (sometimes it leaks), it's within easy reach. Banamine is kept in the frig in my show barn and I go there to get it to give the mares after they foal. That pretty much covers my basic supplies. Oh, cell phone in my pocket. If I can't deliver a foal with those supplies, I'll have a vet on the way.

I keep a plastic tote box in my mare barn with the following supplies in it:

• 60 cc syringe with the tip cut off and the plunger inverted to use as a breast pump
can you show photos or tell me more how you do this?

Hey, I only just now saw the question about pancake syrup. We use it to give the foal a taste then spread a little on the mare's udders if we've had trouble getting the foal to find the milk bar. It was H's idea and I thought it was crazy -- but it works. So, sometimes our foaling stalls smell like IHOP
default_laugh.png

I alway keep a light of some type -- The hunter's headgear is GREAT becaus it lets you have both hands free to use if needed. When/if you are needing to help you often can benefit from a focused light source!! Move your head and you move the light to where you need it. This also allows you to leave the other lights dimmed, which often helps to calm the mare.

I have two or three of these as I find them a really good asset when feeding at night.
default_yes.gif

Supplies/drugs should be commensurate with an individual's skill level. I have some clients that have a complete pharmacy and great dystocia instruments. And I have others that I wouldn't leave with a bottle of Pen G. They're not stupid, they just aren't at that skill level yet.

'Primo non nocere.' First do no harm. Should go for Clients, Patients, and Doctors.

Dr Taylor

Latest posts

Back