Foaling season so far......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
I have really been anticipating foaling season... I have no offspring by my old stallion and all the foals are sired by him this year. He is 20 so dont know how many more I will ever get.

Well, could not find my stall camera to save my soul so had to go into town yesterday for a new one. After going to several stores, found the one I wanted and took the rest of the day to get it set up right. Brought in what I think is Mare #1 and 2- their bags are pretty full. Mare 3 has a sort of bag, and Mare 4, which I originally thought would be #1, really has no bag... just hanging loose but nothing full at all. Moved her back to position #4.

Now cant find the halter monitor.... finally found it, put in a new battery and by 8:30 last night, finally have everything squared away.

Got Mares 1 & 2 in watching them, and 3 & 4 in a small pasture where I checked on them again before going in. Life is good, I feel comfortable now. After watching the monitor til about midnight, felt comfortable I had the monitor on the right mare.

A pretty uneventful night, though I kept waking up and checking the monitor by the bed... all is good. It will be another night.

Went out to feed this morning.... got the stalls done and the old stud. Watered the cats and all on that side. Had glanced over at the other side a couple of times.... where is Mare #4? The shed and tree must be in the way. Grabbed their feed and went around the shed..... Oh, there she is, no big deal, just hanging out by the tree in there.

Uh oh, she doesnt look right at all. I start running. Get to the gate and she has no 'stomache'!! I throw the feed down and run over to her.... there is the weeds is a little jet black head sticking up. OMG!! It's alive!! Mare #4 nickers to me a bit. I kneel down and there are white hairs ALL OVER the rump on this foal... coat is jet black. Wow!! What is it? A FILLY!!!!

Ran back to the house to get the camera! Oh man!! A black and white Appaloosa filly, with tons of neck and legs!! Get back with the camera and she gets up and comes over to me. Oh boy, and friendly too!

These were taken at various hours of the day today from about 6 hours to about 13 hours old ..... The pics really dont show how much white she has under her fuzz- it is VERY white and I am just about SURE there will be a blanket and spots under there!!! It goes from in front of her hips all the way down to her hocks!!!! It is KILLING me not to grab the clippers and see what is really under there, but will have to wait!

Here she is!!! I hope these are not too huge!!

PixieBobFilly11hrshead2010.jpg

PixieBobfilly6hrssleeping2010.jpg

PixieBobfillyrear13hrs.jpg

PixieBobfillyRprofilehead13hrs.jpg

PixieBobfillyRight13hrs.jpg

Oh man, you gave me a scare! With the topic title I was so worried it would be bad news, but look at that gorgeous girl! Congratulations!

default_new_shocked.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Glad all went well, even if, not according to plan. She's pretty cute.

It sure scared me too... and the mare had NO milk ... but sure does now. My neighbor had laughed at me and last night says "oh boy, all yours are due now. Wouldnt that be funny if you watched those all night and went out to find another one?!' I told her today not to ever tell me that again, LOL!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Wow, what a scare! But what a beauty that came from it. LOVE her head and neck!

Wow Laurie!

You'd better hug that mare! She did a great job (fooling you) by herself!

Congrats on your pretty filly!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL!! Dont they just love to catch us poor humans out
default_rolleyes.gif

Glad it all worked out well and congratulations on your pretty little filly!

Anna

She is so pretty! Congratulations! After all that work to "be there" and this happens. Go figure!

WOW, Laurie! I, too, was worried when I first started reading your post. LOL So glad everything turned out so well! I had a filly born last year with just the amount of color showing on your filly. She turned out to have a big blanket with lots of spots!! So I'm betting that your girl will too.

Congratulations!

Pam

I have been known to start switching mares and putting them under a camera late in the evening if one has a bigger bag than one I had under the cameras.

I am so glad someone was watching over you and your mare and filly!
default_biggrin.png

Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Sneaky little mares just like to mess with us!
default_rolleyes.gif
Glad it all turned out well....what a good mama!
default_biggrin.png

I am so stinking jealous!!! That is one gorgeous girl!!! Can't wait to see what's hiding under there!

Congrats
default_wub.png

That was fun to read! Congratulations on the safe (if unsupervised) delivery of your pretty girl.
default_wub.png

Leia

Mare "Number Four" sure knew how to do it for you!
default_smile.png
Congratulations! (And it looks like you got spots to boot!)

Laurie,

I am so excited and happy for you with that gorgeous filly of Bob's!

Susan O.

Latest posts

Back