Foaling questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimom1

Reaction score
I have a 28" mare due at the end of June. I am not a breeder, I got her after she had been bred. This will be her 2nd foal and she foaled fine the first time but baby didnt make it more than a couple hours. I want to be prepared for everything and anything.

I think I am already pretty prepared and read this forum religously and also Blessed are the Broodmares. I have watched many video's and read everything I can find but still have a couple questions.

Do you use anything to help pull the foal if necasary or do you just pull with your hands ? If you do use something .. what do you use and do you worry about injuring the foal's delicate little legs ?

I am not comfortable giving shots to my mare so is there an oral banamine I can give her after foaling ? Or should I just wait for the vet to give her a shot ?

Thanks for your advice
default_biggrin.png

Unless instructed by a vet, do not use anything but your hands to pull a foal. They do make banamine paste, but you can also give the injectible orally, it just takes a little longer to start working.

If you feel it is absolutely necessary to assist the mare by pulling, make it a very gentle pull when she is pushing. When she stops pushing, stop pulling. As long as the foal has its umbilical cord attached, it is getting oxygen. I use only my hands so I can feel what is going on. I wash with Betadine up to my elbows to help minimize the possibility of infection afterwards. From my experience, time seems to slow down when we are involved in a difficult birth. Be sure you have a clock in the stable to help you decide when to get involved. Too often you think it has been too long and begin to let panic set in, when in fact it has only been a few minutes. Also, KY jelly is handy to have in case you have to help lubricate a bigger foal and that helps them slip out too.

The vast majority of the time, foals and mares will do fine on their own, given a bit of patience for the birthing process to do its thing.

Best of luck with your new foal and wishes for a safe foaling for both mare and baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your replies. I will not assist or pull unless she has a problem ie: red bag or shoulder or hip lock etc. other wise I know to let her do her job. I am thankful this is not her first so hopefully she will do well I just want to be prepared incase she needs me to help.

Latest posts

Back