Foaling Camera for a Metal Barn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANDROMEDA FARM

Reaction score
I hope someone can give me their opinion on a foaling camera. My barn is metal & the camera I have does not seem to work with the metal barn. Does anyone have any experience with cameras that work in metal barns? The barn is about 200 feet away from the house. I appreciate any opinion that anyone can give me. Thanks in advance.

We had the same problem.
default_no.gif
We went to a wired camera system. Everything is clear as a bell now. We bought it at a Sams Club. It handles 4 cameras. The wire it comes with isn't enough however for 200 ft. , if you go to Lows or Home Depot you can buy telephone wire that works great. pm with questions
default_smile.png

we are using a 4 camera wireless setup from Radio Shack.....seems to work pretty well. Our barn is metal,but only about 125' distance. Placement in the barn and monitoring in the home was a trial and error situation,until we got acceptable results. that being said......some days...its isn't the best pic....

we have two monitors set up and can also watch on the home theater....".Mare Stare Extraordinare":)

Hardwire may be the best solution in your case....

Michael

We have a wired Phillips system (now owned by Bosch). It is a black and white which we LOVE.

Michael, how did you get it to work on your TV??

We also got our camera set up from Sam's. We leave the large door open and the camera sits inside the doorway. It works pretty good. We get a bit of static from the barn being metal. We also leave the lights on at night to get a better image. If you have a cordless phone, that will also interfer with the picture. Good luck, dionne

We retired our video and photography production company 8 years ago and use some of our older professional cameras as a wired system. Some people would cringe at what we put these cameras through by using them in the barn
default_rolleyes.gif
but I say "why not?" We have tons or cable and several cameras that are mostly outdated in the professional market. You can either use coax or heavy duty video cable elevated, or underground running through a pvc pipe. Either way works well, just make it high enough and wind resistant enough if elevated. If you go to a video supply company, you can order lengths in just about any size. We already had several hundred feet but you can also get adapters to join your connections and then thoroughly tape over them. No special monitor needed as you use any TV or monitor system you want. Also, be sure to completely test your wiring system before you elevate or bury the wire!

My son ran a wired cable from my house TV system to the barn, we placed our wireless base in the barn and use wireless cameras to transmit to the base. Works very well for us. The cable was pretty inexpensive and we ran it in with the electrical wiring. That way, when cameras are not working, we can watch TV in the barn too.

We got one from Radio Shack (wireless no sound) and one from Wal-mart (wireless with sound) both color and both around $120.00. Ours is run thru 2 of our TVs. The one with sound is great! It picks up ALL sounds, right down the horses farting!
default_wacko.png
LOL....Our mare barn is 330 feet from our house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a camera system from a place I think is called Saddlebrook. Found it on the internet when looking for a wireless system for steel barns. Works very well as long as you have the outside sensors pointing to your house int he right way. An expensive system, but works for those barns that are a distance from the house.

Our barn is metal and about 300 feet from the house, we had to go witht the wired system also, it works great and never any problems with the cameras. Our biggest pain is the switchers we have used to switch between the cameras so we can watch them all from one tv in the bedroom, we have had 2 get singed by lightening storms.

Back