Foal Behavior

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spellcasterminis

Reaction score
We put Star and the baby outside for the first time today since it was so nice. I tell you what this lil colt is full of tick and vinegar! In the stall he comes straight up and starts chewing on you, romps about kicking and in general being a snot. When we put them outside today he just about drove his momma nuts. She kept having to chase him down. He wouldn't have anything to do with staying with her. He had his own adgenda to life. We had to pick him up and carry him where we wanted them to go because he wouldn't follow momma. He is super independent, demanding and just flat out a booger. I'm not used to foals this age being this way. Here's a few pictures we took of their first day out.

1stdayout.JPG
runtogether.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
When we have a foal that way it's a sign of a very independent personality who feels very SAFE and a mare who also feels very SAFE where she is! If the mare didn't feel safe too, the foal wouldn't behave that way.

MA

Ahhh, sounds like this little guy has some attitude!

I think he was just happy to be outside, having fun, knowing that his Mum was close by. I don't think you have anything to worry about. In fact, he sounds like he is 'full of life and full of spirit'. Let him be a baby, he's having fun i think!

I'm sure Mum will do her job and pull him into line when needed.

Enjoy his new found 'attitude' :new_shocked:

sounds just like my Sparrow right from the start. Talk about being full of it! His mom never did rein him in, it took my old gelding being his nanny to make him behave, but he is still a little pistol.

Hmmm. Far from an expert here. But...my little one is very independent but listens to mom too. She'll be the first to want to come out of the stall and will wander and is very gregarious but will listen to mom too (I imitated mom's call today and she came...too cute). I guess I have it good. Lucky me for my first foal. He sounds fun, though. Enjoy his spirit!

Sounds like our colt, Ace, who is now a yearling... He has been a complete snot since the day he was born.... He still chews on his momma when they visit when we walk past her stall! He runs my senior stud, Jet (they share a pasture with my other colt, Frankie.) Ace is just a complete snot but is an angel in the show halter!

Sounds like a boy LOL. I've had a few fillies with that kind of spunk right off the bat, but seems it's more likely to be the colts who are so bold.

Jan

Yes, most of my foals have had this attitude, though some more than others.

I've noticed none are exactly alike, but little Pyro, our only foal so far this year, is much like you describe.

Liz M.

I LOVE a foal with Attitude!!! Means they are smart, confident and secure in the environment. Quick learners- will try anything! Wants to do ANYTHING! I would MUCH rather see a foal romp around than hug momma's side.

Now, YOU have to make them have an attitude adjustment with humans. You are the BOSS -let them know it early on. We find these foals do extremely well and are intelligent and quick learners. You have to be up to the challenge to help keep them focused in the right direction. Left to their own devices, they can be a handful. With lots of attention and training, they can be the one that people tell you they can get to do anything later on and they JUST LOVE! :aktion033:

I'll ditto Suzie. I adore the ones who are a challenge. All my past colts were that way also, even some fillies. It does show that momma is also happy and secure as MA said. Now you have to think about showing him the rules about YOU being the mare in charge!
default_wink.png
:

Hubby was sitting in the stall with him last night and the lil fella started pawing at him. So he just gently held his leg. What do you think this lil guy did? He bit hubby, or should I say gummed him LOL. Yep he's a handful... So we've decided to name him Spellcaster's Dun Wicked.

Hubby was sitting in the stall with him last night and the lil fella started pawing at him. So he just gently held his leg. What do you think this lil guy did? He bit hubby, or should I say gummed him LOL. Yep he's a handful... So we've decided to name him Spellcaster's Dun Wicked.

We have that behavior too. My husband tends to be a softie and let it slide. NOT ME! Pawing gets an immediate response- I hold them with both hooves on the ground until they stop struggling. Only reward to make me let go is to keep feet ON THE GROUND! after a couple of tries at this, they catch on fast. Nipping get a whack on the nose end. Immediately. The mom does not tolerate bites and neither do we--even gums...eventually there will be a full set of teeth and that HURTS! Kicking at me gets a kick back (not hard but hard enough to catch their attention). Immediately. May take 1-2 times but the next time it crosses their minds to do that (and you can see it in their eyes) they think TWICE and they usually won't do it! They are so cute and tiny but if you establish pecking order NOW, you won't have to do it down the road. The other horses in the herd will do all this when their behavior is out of line and you are just establishing your territory...

At 2 days old Noelle has a mind of her own. She does not follow mama out well at all. She goes the wrong way! Then here's me and Holly scrambeling after her "no no no baby this way" for all that good that does.

Last night I couldn't get her to come in to save my life. I was leading Holly in and the baby wouldn't come at all. Holly freaking out in one hand, while I tried to direct the baby with my free hand.........that didn't work. Baby took off like a shot around the back of the barn. I had to get Dan to come and get her. Took us 45 minutes to get them both back in.

Today, we're wearing a halter and leading in and out, that's that!

I'm glad to hear that its normal as our little guy behaves the exact same way. I too was a little perplexed because I thought all foals happily followed Mom everywhere. Every afternoon we have a pretty good time trying to get Ruckus into his stall. He knows he's being a snot. He's been ornery from the get go. He wasn't even an hour old and he was rearing up and by his second day had nailed my husband in the shins with both back feet. He's the life of the party around here.

Latest posts

Back