Fleas and dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the first time since we've had our rat terrier--7 years--he has fleas lately. At first I thought he got them from rolling on a dead porcupine (yes, he got quills in his back). Bathed him, washed his bedding. Next day more fleas. I got some Adams flea shampoo, recommended by a vet, and bathed him according to directions. Next day, more fleas. Went to the vet yesterday for some other option. The vet recommended a new treatment. It is in a chewable tablet and made by the company that makes the heart worm medicine. I had used the oil on the back of the neck before but I was assured this new tablet works great. Free sample. It is supposed to last 30 days.

The vet said they are seeing lots of fleas this year, perhaps because of all the spring rains and more wildlife?

Anyone else use this chewable tablet for fleas?

Ive used the chewable tablet before. It didn't really work the first time and I think that was partly my fault.

The second time I used it , I took her bedding outside and sprayed it with a flea treatment that is good for bedding and also for inside your house (couches, beds) etc. It seemed to work that time, but I still wasn't entirely happy as they seem to come back a lot faster than what they usually would.

The one I have stuck with is a tablet that I cut into 4s and hide it in her meat or if she sniffs it out then I give it to her in a cheese slice.

The brand is comfortis and once it is in her system the fleas seem to pack their bags and are off her within the hour of giving it to her.

There are quite a few homemade treatments and remedies online that may also work.

I put a splash of cider vinegar in my dogs water bowl all the time. Both of them are flea free, and we have a TON in my area. Keeps their skin really good too! And my collie came from the breeder with really bad skin issues.

I'm allergic to frontline, and both my puppy's parents were too, so I just use a permethrin spot on during the bad seasons (or whenever my neighbor/boss complains of his dog having them!), but have never seen a flea on either one.

Also, blue dawn dish soap with a vinegar final rinse! Cuts the dirty dog smell really well too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always used Frontline and never have had fleas or ticks. I tried Comfoitis because I liked the idea of them not having "greasy back" for a couple days...it made my rattle sick, he was very lethargic and would throw up, tried it for two months and went back to Frontline. I do stop Frontline for about 3 months in the winter, once we've had a very hard frost, but start right back up again in early spring. I swear by that stuff....should of never tried to fix what wasn't broken.

A few years ago my husband found a dog while out turkey hunting, we kept it until we found a home for it (never found the owner)....it was an Australian Cattle dog and she was covered in fleas and ticks...we took her to the vet before we even let her in the house or near our other dogs. The vet gave her a pill (not chewable)...the fleas and tickets actually died and fell off her body within an hour, I can't remember what it was called but it worked great, it was expensive though. it wasn't preventive like Frontline or Comforitis, it worked immediately but was also temporary so we still had to put an application of Frontline on her.

Capstar is what it's called here Sonya, it's great. Marsha Capstar would help give you a head start then you can work on getting rid of any fleas and eggs on the premises and the new pill will help keep your dog comfortable until the problem goes away or you see the advantage of continuing giving it monthly. I had a nightmare with Comfortis and use Trifexis now. I'm sorry you are having a problem with fleas I hate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides all the other suggestions, we've used the "new" collars called Seresto. They last for 8 months. We are either on our 3rd or 4th round w/ those. The 2nd round - the collars didn't last the full 8 months, but this round it's been substancially longer than that. Since we are now up to 6 dogs and have several cats that come in/out - we will start replacing them this month in a stagger program (they can be expensive).

HOWEVER, you do need to get rid of flea eggs in the house (in the crevices where end/coffee tables sit on carpet, between couch cushions, under the couch etc..) to be really effective. Flea Eggs can "live" for years in hiding until a "warm body" comes by. There are several different products - I found for us that the best was a combination of vacuuming and washing and "bombing" with bug killer. The actual spot on flea spray didn't work for us because I must not have gotten all the areas that had flea eggs on them... LOL.

I use to use the flea stuff from the vet but it made my poor baby girl itch like crazy for 2 weeks (no fleas) so I decided to try out K9 Advantix II and I haven't seen a flea or tick that hasn't died once attempting to bite her. She got sand fleas when we went to visit my parents, but they were so slow from biting her and ingesting that stuff that I got them right off with no problem and never had a reoccurrence.

I did the Dawn bath first thing. Then the Adams flea bath. That's when I went to the vet for some other option. The oral chewable tablet seems to be doing its job. No fleas on my dog. We will use it for another month, then try to discontinue in the winter. It think it is Frontline.

He also has a brewer's yeast tablet every day. It is not the one with garlic; I need to check into that option as I heard that is good for fleas.

Latest posts

Back