Flax

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkle

Reaction score
Hello. :saludando:

I learned about BOSS through this forum, started using it and I can definitely see an enhanced coat on my girls. :aktion033:

What I was wondering is I've been hearing a lot about flax....from what I gather, it appears to have the same effects as BOSS?? Is that right or is there more to it that I'm missing??
default_unsure.png
:

Do people feed both flax and BOSS at the same time?

Thanks so much for your help!
default_yes.gif
:

Both BOSS and flax seed contain essential fatty acids (EFA's). The term ESSENTIAL is important as these are a requirement in the equine diet for good health. The horse cannot manufacturer EFA's himself. Flax contains primarily omega 3's (and some 6's) while BOSS contains primarily omega 6's. The composition/balance of the EFAs in flax most closely resembles that of grass - a horse's ideal food.

Flax and BOSS both contain a high degree of fat, thus usually resulting in enhanced coat shine and quality. However, they do differ in what they add to the diet beyond fat. To keep it simple, think of flax as providing protein, calories, fat, and according to most recent research some anti-inflammatory properties. BOSS provides fat, calories and some minerals as well as being a good source of fiber from the shells.

You can feed flax together with BOSS. Just keep in mind that both are high in fat, and a high fat diet in minis should be monitored closely. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of BOSS per day is plenty for most adult minis while 1 oz daily(about a heaping tablespoon) of flax, either whole or freshly ground, is appropriate.

Flax requires a little extra care in handling vs. BOSS. Avoid excessive heat when storing whole flax and it should keep for about 6 months. Once it is ground, use it immediately (or no longer than just a couple of days) or put it in the refrigerator until you can use it. Once the shell is broken, the oils in the flax can readily turn rancid. Flax that has gone bad has a "fishy" odor and should be discarded. Flax that has been appropriate stored smells somewhat "nutty".

Robin C

I take flax myself- there are MANY benefits but you would sure notice a difference in your skin for one. I use it but have started feeding BOSS to the horses. I also grind my flax seeds WHEN I use them- I dont let them sit. The seeds themselves have a pretty good shelf life, but not after grinding.

Thank you SO much! :aktion033:

I kept hearing about it and didn't really know what it was for, so that was a big help. I tried doing a search for it and it only talked about human benefits, etc.

I finally found a topic for it on horses....

I thought I'd paste this in....

Nutritional values: 22 – 26% crude protein, 18 MJ DE/kg, 7% fiber, 31% oil, mild laxative, antioxidants, Omega 3 fatty acids, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, decreases recovery time from strenuous exercise (mash fed after strenuous exercise), improves hoof condition, relieve arthritic and inflammatory pain, keeps less desirable saturated fats mobile in the blood stream, increases oxygen uptake to the cell, improved skin and coat condition, valuable source of energy (great to feed during the cold months – mash fed twice per week, or during times of stress to prevent weight loss)

The ONLY difference (and it was referring to full size horses) is that they recommended 2 tsp and only a few times a week.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks again!!
default_yes.gif
:

The ONLY difference (and it was referring to full size horses) is that they recommended 2 tsp and only a few times a week.
You'll always run across different recommendations for amounts to give. Though my last remaining full sized horse (a 21 y.o. QH) recently went to her new wonderful home (sniff, sniff!), I fed her 1 cup or 4 oz per day and it really helped with her arthritis as well as giving her a beautiful coat. No one ever believed she was 21 because she looked so healthy. Most current research states that 2-4 oz daily are needed for full benefit in a 1000 lb horse -- but there will always be differences of opinion if you look around enough!

Robin C

Robin, Thanks for the info...I have never thought of flax for humans but I have severe Fibromyalgia so am in varying degrees of pain most of the time, I would like to try flax for its anti inflammatory properties but how do you prepare and eat it??? Thanks a lot.
default_smile.png

You should be able to buy human grade linseed oil in a health store- if you have trouble I am pretty sure I can get it, and would be happy to do so.

Few years back I bought a bottle of the oil for myself. Threw it away though as I didn't like drinking it plus it is expensive (health food store). I now have the capsules that I take occcasionally. Don't know if they really do anything or not........... My son in law is taking them per doctors instructions. He has chrons (sp) plus other medical problems so don't know which one of his problems they are trying to help..... I've seen a small bag on the pharmacy shelf in Walmart - could add to cereal etc but probably would go rancid quickly.

People can eat the flax seed from the feed store -- it's still considered food grade. You're more likely to find "golden flax" in grocery or specialty stores packaged for human consumption. It's no different than the less expensive "horse" flax -- it's just more attractive.

Flax seed/linseed oil just simply tastes nasty. No one could blame you for setting THAT aside as a bad idea. Most people find the taste of the whole seed fairly appealing though and sprinkle it on their cereal, yogurt, etc. It really doesn't have much of a taste in small quantities and you can just swallow the seeds whole easily without crunching them up, if you'd prefer. It's a soft-coated seed like sesame. You may not digest 100% of the whole seed, but you'll get most of it (like sesame!!). No need to worry about whole seed going rancid. It keeps for a long time, especially in a cool, dark place like your refrigerator. Once it is ground, it should be consumed by you (or your horse) immediately as it does begin to break down and oxidize once exposed to air and light WITHOUT its intact shell.

Robin C

I have fed flax for over 45 years. It really gets the winter coats off, and they are pure shine ! I also use it for myself. It does so many things. It also lowers cholesterol, and when it is ground and mixed with a tiny bit of water..into a paste..it is unbeatable for drawing out slivers and small amounts of infection. It also works like pslium (sp) to clear sand from your horses. Here is where I get mine. http://www.bulkfoods.com/search_results.as...arch=fromSearch

It is inexpensive and the shipping is free . And, it is very high quality. I put mine in gallon ziplock bags and put in the freezer ..then grind in my little coffee grinder.

An old horseman I know has always just soaked his flax seed in water and let it sit until it expanded and then fed this oily concoction to his horses.

This is how I've been feeding flax to my mare - I put about a tablespoon of seeds in a bowl and then add warm water, wait until it swells, and then feed it with some cut up carrot.

Would it be better to grind it first and then soak it? or do you think what I'm doing is OK?

Hey Robin I ran across this somewhere can't remember where now, that you no longer have to worry about the toxins in flax because they have bred it out of the seed they now use. Have you heard of this?

Also receipe for humans I eat it like cream of wheat 1/4 cup ground yellow flax and hot water stir and a little cinnamon/sugar and milk. Good stuff!

Hey Robin I ran across this somewhere can't remember where now, that you no longer have to worry about the toxins in flax because they have bred it out of the seed they now use. Have you heard of this?

Also receipe for humans I eat it like cream of wheat 1/4 cup ground yellow flax and hot water stir and a little cinnamon/sugar and milk. Good stuff!
Yes, this is true. The old timer's soaked the flax for a reason! But the new harvesting methods and new strains of flax no longer require this to be done. No soaking/cooking necessary, though some people still do it as a comfort food type of thing. Seems like a lot of trouble to me, plus it gets pretty slimey when cooked as I understand it. Not something I'd want to have in my family crock pot!! Anyway, back to the subject....there is some school of thought re: NOT soaking it due to the fact that this releases some of the cyanogenic properties in the seeds (many seeds contain small amounts of cyanide including apple seeds). So much easier either to feed it whole and/or grind it fresh OR if you'd prefer, there are several commercial, stabilized flax products such as Enreco's Horseshine. A little more expensive than the natural flax by itself, but no worries with handling or grinding.

Robin C

Latest posts

Back