FLAKY COAT????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi...

shane...i am having this exact problem right now. :no: .....what worked for you??????

Lynda we see this every so often. It often seems to be associated with mild sweet itch but I also think there's a fungus thing going on too. They now know dandruff in people is associated with fungal infection. We feed our horses Tesco's cheapest vegetable oil and their coats are great. I can pick out the ones on the oil by their coats, even tho it's our rider that does the hard feeding.

In cases like this we give them a good bath and then rinse them with a very mild solution of Vircon (agricultural disinfectant you can buy at agricultural supplier, kills fungal infections as well as bacterial). Only use 2 teaspoons per bucket of water, let it sit for 5 minutes then scrape them down without rinsing with clear water. Give it a try, it may take a few weeks before you see the difference. We also scrub them (gently) with a metal curry comb..... not the one with teeth!!! the one with wavy smooth blades but plastic curry comb will do the job too. It helps clear all the crud and also boots the skins circulation. They are then rubbed down with hot damp towells squeezed out in very hot water with a drop of meths in it. It's only effective on clipped horses but brilliant grooming and very quick.

Kate

Listerine mouthwash, as Lynda said at the beginning.

Just spray it on, half and half with water.

If it odes not work, that is the time to start looking for more radical remedies.

We had one mare that injured her leg 2 or 3 winters ago. She was sore & didn't eat well for awhile & lost some condition--kind of a poor doer that winter. Anyway, in late winter she had dandruff like that--her skin was just so dry & flaky/scaly. Since it was too cold yet to bath her, we'd just brush her, and as well we added BOSS to her diet. In just a couple of weeks the improvement was amazing--the dandruff went away, her skin softened up, and her coat got soft & shiny. Something like BOSS would be the first thing I'd try for your girl, because her dandruff & coat look very similar to what our mare was like.

Latest posts

Back