Colour Mysteries

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannaHH

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 2 month old little palomino filly who is doing great! I am so very curious to see whether she will stay palomino or grey out, does anyone know if there is anything I should look for? Her dad was grey and her mom is bay so I have no clue if she inherited that grey gene or not haha.

I’m also so very curious about her eye colour, she was born with clear blue eyes and got a hazel rim around the edge at about two weeks old, but the blue centres have held stead for the last 6 weeks. She’s just starting to shed out around her nose and eyes and it looks like she’s going to hold that palomino colouring... for now! Any speculation as to what she’ll mature into? Doctor google has been very unhelpful. Photos below of Cora B48793F0-E807-40AA-A0F6-82A598650B5A.jpegAEC16C11-77B1-4117-9FC2-C97AD68EF57B.jpegA583E8B4-B089-442A-AAFD-227A3DB9A05D.jpeg7296DA94-A143-474B-A0E3-A346EF6A82DA.jpeg6A9D03F5-B7A7-4B82-BE65-DEF426C0B8FA.png

I can sure understand your confusion! She looks palomino for sure! BUT her eyes are confusing. Palominos usually have brown eyes! Oh, if she DOES grey out on you, you'll see it start on the fur around her eyes. AND, btw, she is adorable.... a sweet dishy face, and from what I could see, nicely put together...... Is she a show filly for you? (She looks like she could be.)

I would guess no on grey. Typically grey foals are very hyper pigmented after foaling. She has light colored hooves, another indication of no grey. And pink skin another indication of no grey. Eyes look like they should stay blue. That shade typically stays. Does her sire or dam have blue eyes or a white pattern of some sort? I could share with some friends if you don’t mind?

Also, the first shed is always the darkest. She might look like a totally different color under the foal coat, but it’ll come back normal. I have a red colt that looks almost black under the shedding foal coat.

I can sure understand your confusion! She looks palomino for sure! BUT her eyes are confusing. Palominos usually have brown eyes! Oh, if she DOES grey out on you, you'll see it start on the fur around her eyes. AND, btw, she is adorable.... a sweet dishy face, and from what I could see, nicely put together...... Is she a show filly for you? (She looks like she could be.)
No! I pulled her mom out of a paddock with a little grey stud and about 6 mares, I was just looking for a companion horse that I could maybe learn to drive with and got very fortunate with little Cora! Her mom has excellent conformation and thankfully passed it on, they are going to look like twins minus the colouring. I have a bit of experience showing welsh ponies on the line and am now thinking it may be fun to try and show these two, though I doubt I can register them

I would guess no on grey. Typically grey foals are very hyper pigmented after foaling. She has light colored hooves, another indication of no grey. And pink skin another indication of no grey. Eyes look like they should stay blue. That shade typically stays. Does her sire or dam have blue eyes or a white pattern of some sort? I could share with some friends if you don’t mind?
I wouldn’t mind I you shared at all! She actually has completely black skin with the only pink being her little star. As she continues to shed out, the hair is loosing almost all of her pigment all together she’s going to look white. Her dad was a flea bitten grey with dark brown eyes and her mom is a dark bay with the same eyes. I sort of hope they stay that colour, I’m not typically partial to blue eyes in horses but she is just too cute!

Her muzzle looks dark, but her eye rims look pinkish in the newborn pics, so it's a bit confusing. What color are her hooves, one her non-white legs?
She doesn’t have any socks but all her hooves are light coloured. The skin around her eyes has darkened as she’s aged, the most confusing thing is that she’s shedding out LIGHTER, almost completely white!

I wouldn’t mind I you shared at all! She actually has completely black skin with the only pink being her little star. As she continues to shed out, the hair is loosing almost all of her pigment all together she’s going to look white. Her dad was a flea bitten grey with dark brown eyes and her mom is a dark bay with the same eyes. I sort of hope they stay that colour, I’m not typically partial to blue eyes in horses but she is just too cute!

okay I got a number of reply’s. Most everyone says palomino with no grey. Blue eyes are likely lighter baby blues and will go brown over time.

Latest posts

Back