First show and made it through my classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmorgans

Reaction score
I entered my very first driving class at a 3 day AMHA sanctioned show. I have only ever entered one other show but only had halter horses. The driving is completely new to me - I have never driven my Morgans so have absolutely no experience. I borrowed a "show cart" from someone - which was very nice of them - but the cart was an easy entry cart and really looked out of place in the ring with very seasoned driving horses and drivers.

I made it through each class (Country Pleasure - amateur and open) without making a complete fool of myself. Several exhibitors offered some helpful tips - and that was so much appreciated. I am a complete and total novice and it was very obvious - but how else can a person learn.

The first day the judge came over to me before the placements were announced - now I knew that I was going to place last and that was perfectly fine to me - I didn't deserve anything other - the judge was so pleasant and offered some suggestions and was very encouraging.

However - the second day their were two judges judging at the same time. Again - I expected last place - no problem - but the judges completely ignored me in the ring. I was obviously wasting their time - how discouraging to a beginner. This was a small show - only around 40 horses entered totally - and only 4 in my driving classes. But it was so obvious to myself and spectators that the judges just ignored me - now that is just not right. Neither one took even offered a suggestion or word of encouragment. I don't have anyone to teach me - I am completely on my own - but now I am so discouraged that I don't know that I will continue with the driving. I really enjoy it and am proud that my horse did as I asked and wasn't unruly or unsafe in any way. I know that I have a whole lot to learn - but when judges are like that how can a total novice feel encouraged to keep trying.

The club advertised a "driving clinic" to be held after judging was complete. I thought that would be a great thing to attend. Well - again - I was ignored. The judge was chatting with others - obviously some of the exhibitors were friends with the judge and whatever they were talking about could not be heard by people sitting in carts. It was even more discouraging than the show.

How are novice people supposed to learn how to drive?????????????????????

Just keep in mind how pleased you were with the experience on the first day. Not every judge is going to take the time to do something like that. I've had days where I felt like I was being ignored. And I sure wish when I had started showing in halter some of the judges would have taken the time to give me some tips! Anyway, I drive, and some judges will give you tips, and some won't.

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience.

Here in NH we have novice driving classes and have only 1 driver go in. Wish you could make it over the border.

Don't give up,

I'm sorry to hear you had such a horrid experience the 2nd day and can see why you are discouraged.

But keep at it, show them you are there and keep being in front of them and you are going to find that you will come upon judges like you had the first day again. Learn all you can from them. Don't give up at something you've wanted to do.

I'm a new driver myself, just learning and buying a driving horse with experience but I haven't driven at a show but have watched plenty of driving classes to get tips etc.

Whatever you do, don't give up. That will be letting the bad judges win.

Congratulations on getting through your show!

When it comes to being in the show ring, if the judge does come over & give you some pointers, that's very nice of him. However, it's been my experience that most do not, and I would never expect a judge to do so. As for the judges that ignored you, I do find that rude. I figure that out of courtesy the judge should at least look at each entry in the class--make you feel that they considered you even briefly--rather than knowing that he wrote you off after the briefest first glance. Unfortunately, judges do often ignore some entries. They do it in all classes, halter, driving or under saddle, and in all breeds. On the flip side, I've had judges totally ignore me, and yet I still won the class. The most obvious was a saddle hack class I was in one time. the judge glanced at me as I came into the ring (riding a Morgan gelding with hunt attire) One entry was an Arab stallion ridden saddle seat. The judge never took his eyes off her. It was discouraging--I kept wondering why I was even out there. The stallion wasn't even going well, but the judge kept watching him (sometimes a judge will watch a favorite entry until it messes up, then he loses interest & moves on to search out another favorite--not this guy, his attention never wavered. I'd have said he didn't even remember there were other horses in the ring. My horse went beautifully, but I figured the judge wouldn't have noticed if my guy was 3 legged lame and tripped every 3rd stride...) Imagine my shock when they read out the class results, and I was pinned first, with the Arab 3rd or 4th.

There used to be one judge here that wore dark glasses in the ring. You couldn't tell who he was looking at--he always appeared to be looking at the horse he was pretending to look at, yet many was the time that I'd be on the rail & feel someone looking at me, and I'd figure it was the judge looking at my horse rather than the one that was been shown in front of him...good trick! That judge would get bored, and when it came to placing his classes, he'd pull out his placings, so it seemed--the handler in first place would be ecstatic, while someone left on the rail was feeling very left out....then he'd motion to the left out one to come in to the front of the line--from out of the running to first place in an instant. It did liven up the classes some!

Anyway, to learn--go to shows even if you're not showing & observe the exhibitors, ask questions--visit people who do drive & ask them lots of questions, maybe take some driving lessons...clinics... What is really bad in this case is the judge/clinician ignoring you at the after-show clinic. That's just really bad.

Don't be discouraged!

Always remember to just be observative, try for self-accomplishment, and have fun above all else.

A judge is simply paid to look over the class in front of him/her and then decide who they feel did/is best at the moment. They are NOT paid to give suggestions or tips but it certainly is nice of them if they DO at all! Just take what they told you the first day and consider how it best applies to you.

A lot of people in the show ring have been doing it a long time, so you can't expect to learn everything in one show or clinic. Just the experience alone should be adequate.

If possible, have someone videotape or photograph you while you are in the ring, along with the other competitors so you can see exactly how you stacked up.

And remember, a show is only the one judge's opinion for the day. Another judge may feel totally different. Everyone has their own opinions and tastes.

Andrea

Most judges won't come talk to you. It is the rare one with a lot of confidence that will chat with contestants. Most are worried that talking to people will look as though they are giving preferential treatment so they try not to talk to anyone. Don't take it so personally and get back out there and try.

Most of us were in the same boat as you at one time or another. I have had more help from competitors than anyone that I actually asked for help! I guess I just looked so pathetic that they felt sorry and offered suggestions and support. If you can't find someone to work with you, get tapes/books on driving and watch all the classes you can and ask questions.

Was this the sanctioned show held in Regina this weekend...

Most judges have little to say... there are a few who are "chatty", but most aren't. If they have something to say (IMHO) you either did really well, or really poorly and they're being very kind. Don't be discouraged because they have very little to say. Most don't.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the encouragement. I do realize that the judges are not there to give tips to everyone - it was just so nice for the first judge to take the time.

There are no mini trainers near me - so that makes it harder. I am going to see if a Morgan trainer will work with me - any help will be good.

I will keep at it - I was just discouraged yesterday. My horse did a great job and I was proud of him. He is not ready to compete against the seasoned horses and I know it - so I will keep practicing.

I sure appreciate everyone's comments - it really helps - you guys are great!!!!!!!1

Was this the sanctioned show held in Regina this weekend...
Yes - that was the show. I had a lot of fun and did great with my horses in halter. I learned so much and lots of other competitors gave me tips and hints. It was great to see people from other provinces at the show - and people that are so professional and knowledgable. A great weekend other than my disappointment with the driving. But I did learn so much and I was not embarrassed with my horse's performance in the driving - we just need to keep working at it!!!!!!!1

Like Andera said dont be discouraged. You did a great job even getting out there in the ring. You worked just as hard as the other people to get your horse ready for the ring. I showed my gelding with a easy entery anf won lots of times.

You might think of posting some photos of you driving your horse and ask for more experinced driving people on here to tell you what you can do to improve. I know there is a movie series on driving miniature horses from training to finshing you might want to do a google search and see if you find it and give it a watching.

And remember even if the judges did not look at you in the class. You did a great job! the first show I drove at I did not even get my horse hooked up because I got Discouraged and a stuborn little brat lol

-Vanessa

Don't give up hope! Believe me I have had that happen at Arab shows around here when I was showing them!

Shelby

Latest posts

Back