FIRST KNIGHT'S BREAKIN ALL THE RULES

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strider's Mom

Reaction score
I recently read an incorrect interpretation of how one of my horses came by his name. While clarifying this MISTAKE, I thought it would be interesting to hear some other stories.

I was leaving for a holiday when one of my mares was due, so hired my vet's assistant to foal watch for me. I had been breeding (2 or 3 foals a year) for 15 years prior, and had NEVER had a foal born in the daytime, and also NEVER had one born outside. I was very surprised when I got a phone call at 2 in the afternoon saying that she had just delivered a palomino colt outside. Thus the name, BREAKIN ALL THE RULES.

STS Steel'N The Spotlight ...a weanling filly i bought this year, i went to Ernie's to pick out a filly, he had a nice nice palomino filly that i had "claimed" the first time we went down to the baby pasture, then we were getting ready to leave and we went back to to the babys pasture one more time and this silver bay filly really cought my eye and compared and liked her even more so got filly #2 instead. Hence the name, Steel N The Slotlight
default_smile.png

Westwind BTU Crown Prince Narko - Narko was born Narkoleptic....hence Narko.....

Royal Salsa - Donna said when he was born his coat was the color of "salsa"

Ericas Ima Rowdy Twister - He has a tornado blaze on his face...atleast i think that is where she got that name...

Alpha Farms Magical Debut - Buckeye WCF Classical Magics first foal, hence "Debut"

.....i think that is about it..others are more odd ball names
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This one was a no brainer for me. From the moment we met, Holly couldn't seem to stay out of the mud and keep from rolling in it. SHE IS A PIG.

Hence the name:

Brave Little Prancers Dirty Holly

Pictured here close to foaling

MUDHOLLY.jpg

Neat thread!

My fav this year is our filly we named Baxters Gossip Girl. Rumors were flying that I named her that because of people gossiping about ME. Nope had nothing to do with it LMAO. I had promised my daughter if we had a filly this year we would name her Gossip Girl for her favorite TV show named "Gossip Girl"

gcrear.jpg

Well, I dont breed, but bought a new colt this year and he needed a name as the temp. papers hadnt been sent in yet. So I picked Supreme (the dad was little kings skipper supreme) Alley Kat, partly because of the rodeo stock by the same name, they have such cool names, those buckin horses.....

Probably our most interesting name is the most recent one. We have a weanling colt that we purchased from Erica we bought a mare last year from her that was to have had a Bandito baby and for whatever reason she did not foal so Erica being the wonderful person she is offered us a replacement. Since she had not named him yet she offered us the chance to have input into the name well we name all our foals with alcohol names so that is what we asked for. His name is Ericas Maine Pride Tequilla Sunrise, she included our farm name after hers as a gift and the Tequilla Sunrise fits our alcohol theme and his mom was Sunshine so it all fits. He is Tiki for short.

We also have a weanling who when first born was unsteady on his feet and would sort of bang off the walls so he is Maine Pride Harvey Wallbanger. In addition on his first vet visit our vet made the comment that he probably would never go to Harvard as he did appear a bit of a dummy foal. So the Harvey Wall banger just fit and though he still is a Harvey its not because hes not smart he is very funny.

This is a fun thread!!

My babies tend to tell me what their names are shortly after birth. But some earn a name after a few days.

Riverdance's Naughty By Nature - He got his name a little late, but he got it because when all of the moms and foals came in at night, he would stay out in the pasture and not want to come in. Independent little guy.

Riverdance's And The Beat Goes On- He got his name because he was the 5th colt born on my farm this year, the boys just kept on coming so The Beat Goes On.
default_wink.png

Riverdance's Hit The Jackpot - She got her name because I had bought her mom in foal to Little Kings Santana Supreme (of which I have several daughters). I had wanted a daughter out of that breeding as her full sister is an AMHR Reserve National Champion. When I got her, I just had to name her Hit The Jackpot. She is one of my nicest mares and dam to Naughty By Nature.
default_smile.png

Riverdance's Monarch Surprise- Her dam is a black pinto her sire is a black pinto. When she was born she looked like a buckskin pinto. I had her DNA'd to make sure I had the right sire. She has since turned black and white.

Riverdance's It Takes Two To Tango- She was born all black except fror one white leg.
default_new_shocked.gif

Riverdances Gone With The Wind- I will never uset hat name again. I named her at about 8 days old and at 10 days some barn help left 5 gates open and Windchaser and his mares got out into the road. 5 were hit by cars. Including Gone With The Wind. She was killed on the spot.
default_no.gif

Some of my horses were named because of close proximity to holidays. Like Celtic Winds (born a day before St.Pattys Day). Winds of Independence, born on the Fourth of July. (I use wind in all of Windchaser gets names.)

Anyway, it is fun to see why some of the names come about.

Neat thread and great names everyone

We had a filly born this year

Eagles Ring Bows Revolution

her first month or so after being born when they went outside in the morning and through out the day

if she was excited she would jump and buck in circles next to her mom

So we named her Revolution

WOW Some are really creative with names. lol

Mine are generally song titles, keeps it pretty simple for me. I just have to figure out which song fits which baby.

I had been listening to my Night Rangers Greatest Hits CD earlier so when Rumour was born the song, Rumours In The Air, was going through my mind, so there you go.

rum1015.jpg

Junior took a few days. I was calling him Monkey at first but that really didn't fit him nor give him a registration name so I started looking through the CDs. Came across Ratt's Greatest Hits and played Way Cook Jr...Here are some of the lyrics ...

"Heard he came from Memphis (We're in TN)

Somewhere down south

Started hangin' with the blues crowd (Dam is Blue)

That's how he got that crazy sound

What is all this talkin' goin' round?

She said, So good lookin', turns me on

Out all night, keeps me up 'til dawn (Born 30 mins after midnight)

The girls all know he's Way Cool Jr." http://www.musicsonglyrics.com/R/rattlyric...ooljrlyrics.htm

jrnatlb.jpg

Erica, well I wanted to pay homage to my home state, Michigan. So what better way?

Irish Hills Miss Michigan

erica0620.jpg

KC,

ALL your First Knight horses have awesome names! I love the story about Billy Idol - always wondered about breakin All The Rules!

Most of my collection of horses have barn names, named after cars - so when Janet @ Limestone listed LM Idols HUMMER Hawk for sale, it seems like fate to me. I just had to buy him! (thank you Janet!)

This is a neat thread! We haven't had any foals to name yet, but we were given the opportunity to name our stallion - SRF Buckshot - before we bought him. People probably think it is using the Buckeroo name, which is not really the case, although he does have some Buckeroo blood. His sire is Smithdeal Rowdys BUCKaneer, his dam is BUCKons Causin Commotion (a Buck on Broadway daughter), and our farm name is On Target Miniatures, so we thought the name "Buckshot" tied all those in rather neatly.

I talked to the breeder who bred my little guy, she told me how he came upon Jay in the Dark. Her and her husband were watching Jay Leno's show that was completely in the dark due to the California energy crisis at the very same time they were watching the mare cam as Jay was entering the world.

Heather

I love this thread........a lot of thought and imagination has gone into many of your names.

Our little 29" American Express son we got to name.

His name if HHF Can't Leave Home Without Him..

But we call him BabyZee.

All his daughters have 'Z' names also.

Zena's registered name is LaPaz. I was filling my empty nest after my

son went into the Peace Corp in Bolivia. He flew into LaPaz and flew back

home out of LaPaz...... Worked for me.

Her sister we, call Zuni. Her registered name is Que Sera Sera.

We'd been hoping for a boy, just like his daddy but we got another baby girl.

Soooo, Que Sera Sera - what will be will be.

Our baby born after we moved down here after the flood.....I haven't even

gotten around to registering her yet........

Bad Mom! Kind of the way after the first and second child the baby books don't

get filled out as fully.

Her registered name will be, J Simar, after our dear friend who passed and made

it possible for us come live at this lovely place.

Well we named our Bill Idol colt LM IDOLS ROCKSTAR of course because Billy Idol is the name of a rock star. and My 2007 smokey black filly we named miracle girl because it is a miracle that she lived as her dam had impaction colic while she was carrying her. She went through it for 5 days.We almost lost her and we thought for sure the foal would never survive but they both did she delivered her just a few short months later. My 07 bay filly was called Dream Girl or Dreamer for short as she resembles the filly in dreamer with her face marking except that filly was chestnut instead of bay.

My granddaughter's mare is Funny Farm's Answered Prayer,"Annie". Her sire is HSF Alterboy by Choir Boy. Shelby was hoping for a chestnut and white pinto filly. Mom was a bay from all bay breeding and Dad was a grulla pinto. I doubted we'd see pinto or chestnut. My husband found her two weeks early when he was feeding. No one believed him when he said it was a chestnut and white pinto and a filly to boot. So keeping with the religous names on Dad's side and the fact that she was just what Shelby wanted she named her Answered Prayer

When the mare I bought as Open foaled a perlino colt, it was easy to give him the name "LDS Whos Your Daddy". Even more so when it was a different stallion than originally named when I called the previous owner. We had to DNA to confirm the sire.

My husband's stallion was bought on application and the name on the application was unpronounceable, and we had permission to change it. He is heavily Buckeroo bred, and became LDS THE BUCKEROO KID.

One of our colts from last year was very small, and still is very fine boned and is about 28" as a yearling. His grandsire is Double Destiny, so he became LDS Double Marteenie.

His brother, who's dam was named Pebbles, became LDS Double on the Rocks. Another brother who's mom is named Flame, became LDS Burning Destiny.

Our filly by Candyland's Best Kept Secreat, out of a Rhoten's Little Dandy daughter is named LDS Secreat Dandilion.

This is a fun thread!

This is really a fun thread - here are some of mine......

Misty Moon Copy's Zoom Zoom - a colt that was born outside in the daytime - when I turned my back for 15 minutes. This little guy was up and zooming around within minutes of being born - and the name Zoom Zoom just seemed to suit him.

Misty Moon Copy's Chances Are - this fillies mom foaled during the day in 2007 and when she was getting close in 2008 I was getting worried that I wouldn't be there when she foaled as I was really busy with work. So - her mom (Nikki) picked a day when I had no choice but to leave the house - I was out of cell phone range - and had people all over watching her on marestare. I got a call from a marestare viewer in Europe - at my client site - telling me that Nikki looked like she was in labour. Everything did turn out OK - but I am sure that I have quite a few gray hairs over that foaling (which Nikki did totally on her own). So - I decided that since I was already thinking "Chances Are that she will foal when I am not there" - that perhaps that name would be appropriate.

Misty Moon Copys Imagine That - well last year we had a colt year - and this year was no different - and since I had a colt out of this breeding last year - it was no surprise that our last foal of the year was - a boy!!!! So - imagine that - another colt!!!!

Misty Moon Super's I Love Lucy - our first foal sired by our junion stallion - and a filly!!!! And she was bright red and full of herself the moment she was born - she reminded me of Lucille Ball - hence the name I Love Lucy!!!!

That's a few of ours - the stories that others have told have been great - hope to hear more stories!!!!

The quickest and easiest name came during the 3rd year of having foals born here. The first year, when I was just getting started and only had 1 mare to breed, I got a colt. The 2nd year, with 3 pregnant mares, I got 3 colts. The 3rd year, with 4 pregnant mares, the first 3 born were, yes - colts. When the 4th and final foal was delivered and I raised it's back leg to iodine the cord, I saw 2 tiny nipples looking back at me and shouted, to no-one in particular since I was in the barn alone, "Hallelujah! its a filly!" Thus she immediately became "Blueprints Hallelujah", Hallie for short.

The first foal of 2000 was named Y2 Katie for obvious reasons.

A filly that arrived on the 4th of July, 3 weeks early, unassisted out in the field was quickly named Little Miss Independence (Indy for short).

And a colt (same dam, I've now learned my lessonand bring the mare in many weeks before her due date!) the next year born 4 full weeks ahead of schedule, when his mama came up with him following I looked at him and said "My you are early!" and thus his name Blueprints Early Buck.

That's about it for anything creative here.

Bought a mare bred back to CC Call Me Awesome for 2008. My first miniature mare bred and my first mini delivery! I will never forget it and I love him!
default_wub.png

- LT Awesome's Mister Rock It Man, a bay frame overo LWO + colt ( in avatar) that I assisted delivery this past May 14th. Long story short, he presented muzzle and one hoof and I attempted to search for the other front leg/hoof to assist the mare but never was successful. After the mare finally quit getting up and down and allowed me to get in there to help again, the placenta had appeared and was torn so I knew I had to get the foal out. She pushed, I pulled! She pushed, I pulled! She pushed, I pulled and this little guy shot out of there like a rocket and knocked me back on my butt! I wasn't sure if he was alive and as I started rubbing him he started to make a few snorty type sounds and all I could say outloud as I dried him off was, "Thank you Jesus"! I must of thanked the Lord several times! The mare was in obvious pain and thrashed about in the stall as I got the foal out of the way several times until I could run in and get the banamine. Once that was given, Rockit got to his feet and nursed and all was well with my world, and his! I was just so overwhelmed .... and exhausted!

I had hit the "record" button on my surveillance camera on the way out to the stall when I woke up and saw she was in labor and got it all recorded ... it's really emotional to watch, as I was by myself that morning. Had I not set my alarm to wake up every hour to check on her on my monitor, I would have lost him and possibly her, for sure! A very rewarding experience.

We have some really strange ones that most people probably wont undersand. We name our foals after the characters out of Where in the World is Carmen San Diego so far we have

Ridgeview Carmen San Diego

Ridgeview Penelope Paparazzi

Ridgeview Hannah Lu Lu

Ridgeview Jane Reaction (foaled on the day of my cousin Janes Wedding)

One of my other favourite names was "Isaac" Ridgeview Ive GR8 Genes 2 - being the full brother of our successful colt "Gino" Ridgeview Designer Genes

Latest posts

Back