First horse auction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Muhlenberg County has an Ag center and once a month they have a horse/tack auction. I've seen the signs but have not gone until last evening. I was absolutely shocked. I had expected to see horses in poor condition and I was greatly relieved not to have seen that. But what I did see was horses going for as cheap as $10. OMG. Have horses become that disposable that you would get rid of them for $10??? Makes me fear what will become of mine when the day comes that hubby and I aren't here any longer. If something happened to us, would they be taken to an auction and sold for nothing? And what would become of my babies? I was absolutely blown away by how cheaply these horses were going. I wanted to buy all these unwanted ones and bring them home and just make them feel loved. (But of course you gotta be realistic here) I just was so sad. I just felt like they were unloved/unwanted and this was just a way to purge the owners of some unwanted thing. Especially when I think of my guys here. They are pet quality (with one notable exception) But they are my kids. I play with them every day. I talk to them. I bring them goodies. And I feel so sorry for horses that do not receive that.

That's all. Just wanted to comment on how very sad the whole process made me.

I've only ever gone to Quarter Horse auctions... I don't think I could stand it
default_sad.png

I haven't been to a local horse auction in years. Here I don't know if any are going quite that cheap--not the full size horses anyway--the meat buyer takes them & from what I've heard they're likely to go for $125-$225 at a minimum. Depends on the size, weight & type of horse of course.

From time to time I've heard of Minis selling for $40 or $50 at the local livestock mart auctions.

Definitely sad that there are so many unwanted horses in the world!

Well its not all bad, I know a couple of folks locally who LOVE these types of auctions and them prices BECAUSE they buy as many as they can and at that price they load up! They get them sooo cheap and use the funds that they would have had to spend on now more feed, meds, and anything the horses need to get better. They then train or work with them and resale/adopt them to new loving homes.

Some call them horse flippers here, BUT I would rather see these horses get flipped into a loving home then on a plate with potatos and green beans. I personally know 2 of these "horse flippers" and seen 1st hand what they do to turn a poor horses life around and (sold/adopted for $350) to a kid family or someone looking for a great trail horse but cant afford a well trained expencive one from a breeder. I know not all folks are like that but at least we know their out there sitting in the stands trying to help and make a differeance!

Kodos to them!

Thats not a cheap job/hobby/job!

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Around here all the sale barns have closed down. Folks were not willing to haul in, pay for yardage, coggins and all the other fees and basically wind up giving the horses away. Craigslist is full of free horse ads. It is sad, and with the economy like it is, I can't see it getting better, with so many people losing jobs, their homes, etc, the luxury items like horses are taking a hard hit. Of course, that didn't stop our neighbor up the road from us from breeding every single mare he had to his dwarf stallion, and since then he's lost his job, has 60 days to get out of his house, and somehow thinks it's everyone else's job to bail him out by buying all these mares (no papers on any of them) for $700 each.

What you saw is what 'we' created. The only way out of this cycle is to stop breeding for a few years so that demand is built back up. It breaks my heart that any domestic animal is the most dispensible, but we created this, we need to clean this up. Yeah I know - not what anyone, much less myself, wants to hear, but it is the sad state of our world right now.

It is very sad not only for the minis but for the full size horses as well. I live in New England, just got back from a trip to stock up on chicken feed and paid 112.00 for 2 weeks worth of grain. Sticker shock for sure. Along with increasing food prices, my vet has started to charge more as has the farrier and on it goes. Horses are a luxury at any given time but in this economy, it's very hard for people to afford to feed them and rescues are over run with wonderful horses of all sizes needing homes and not many homes available.

I read on someone's website the other day who has minis that minis aren't really good for anything but great pets and that's just not true. They are capable of so much and it is up to us as responsible owners if we have the time to get them out and about and share just how fabulous these tiny equines are with the world. Whether it's visiting schools or nursing homes or out driving down the road or performing tricks, let's see our minis promoted in a positive light so more and more people will consider adopting one of these fine horses.

Sorry I got on my soapbox but I feel so sad for these horses at auction and of course for the owners who are struggling to survive in this economy and have to make difficult, very sad decisions.

I wanted to fuss at the owners of these 9 month old horses who were being sold for less than $50. Gee whiz, if you gelded your horses to begin with, then you wouldn't be doing this, ya think??? It's like....oh, my mare had an unplanned baby, I'll just sell it for whatever. You know, there are low cost doggie spay clinics to help prevent puppies, why can't some equine vets get together and offer the same service? Some of these same folks may consider gelding if it weren't so expensive. (just a thought)

I know that accidents happen, but I've owned miniatures (and my own stallions) for something like 20 years and have only ever had ONE unplanned breeding. We currently have FIVE stallions here, and no unplanned breedings. IMO, if someone is going to own a stallion, they'd darn well better have the faciliies, fencing, etc, to keep the stallion(s) contained. If not, they shouldn't have a stallion.

We own 20 breeding age miniature mares, after selling several this year, and guess how many foals we are expecting this year? ONE. Our horses are high quality, with many Hall of Fame horses and even National Champions, but we've been cutting back lately because of the market so as to not contribute to the overpopulation. Of the four foals we had last year, we retained three as they are great additions to our herd. I just wish that the breeders of unregistered, pet-quality horses would reduce their breeding. Those are a lot of what you see selling for $50 at a local auction. I wouldn't do that to my horses, they deserve better.

I do plan on breeding more mares for next year. Good, show quality horses are still in demand, and we've sold a dozen horses in the last few months so we have the room to keep any horses produced next year that don't happen to sell right away. I don't breed specifically to sell anyway, I breed to improve on the breed and always plan to keep a lot of my foals.

I wanted to fuss at the owners of these 9 month old horses who were being sold for less than $50. Gee whiz, if you gelded your horses to begin with, then you wouldn't be doing this, ya think??? It's like....oh, my mare had an unplanned baby, I'll just sell it for whatever. You know, there are low cost doggie spay clinics to help prevent puppies, why can't some equine vets get together and offer the same service? Some of these same folks may consider gelding if it weren't so expensive. (just a thought)

Dixie_belle, You are right. I wish the vets would get together set a clinic for gelding. I was given a 36" mini stud that I going to geld this spring. It's going to cost close to 300.00 to do it. I want a other mini, but I won't get one until he is gelded.

Here's an idea: Vets aren't likely to just randomly get together for a gelding clinic on their own. I suggest that those of you interested in it, make plans on how many you need gelded, then contact your local vets with the suggestion of a "gelding party". If a vet clinic isn't big enough to hold it there, you'll have to find a location that is. I' sure that there are vets who would be willing to give discounts for such a thing, but YOU will have to initiate it. Try it!
default_smile.png

I'm sorry you had to witness this, but, maybe you should put yourself in these sellers shoes. First of all to take a horse to auction you must pay a consignment fee of between $25 to 200. Then a vet call out fee plus coggins, then another call out fee plus health certificate. Purhaps these sellers have lost their home, farm, or job and are sad to need to sell their babies, but need to make sure they have food and vet care. I'm struggling here just to make ends meet, and keep my babies fed, so I'm trying to downsize, but in this economy you can't always get what they are worth. I also have a flipper up the road and she is a good person, she buys at the sales, cares for them, then resells. Of course the ones she buys are not show quality by any means, but still need love and a home. I often wonder too what would happen to my babies if I died suddenly of lets say a heart attack, but I can't predict the future. The problem is one that we all have created! I used to be the only show breeder in my area, now there are two more. I've not bred any mares for over three years, and no accidents either. I'm working on training and rehomeing what I have I don't need to add to the problem. Too many people just breed anything and anyone, they don't promote them or even show them, just pets. JMO! So Flame away! Then there are those in it for the money only, business, and bred 50 to 100 mares a year, and influx the market. They will find out when their money runs out that is not the way to go. Just my opinion, and I'll get off my soap box now, got my flame suit on!

I would not be able to go - no way
default_no.gif
:No-Sad I'm following one on FB, where a local rescue group here in Nor. Cal. went to, and they were able to rescue babies that were dumped. They reminded over and over, how someone thought it would be "cute" to have a baby...and here's where they end up. Another plea - please, think twice before breeding...

Liz N.

Unfortunately there are no "guarantees" in life. Everyone looks at these horses from a different viewpoint. We have 2 for sale and they have been for a year now without any "real" inquiries. Hubby and I have had this discussion about how he'd like to "downsize" and he'd "just give them" to someone. I won't give my horses away while I'm still breathing because I don't think that people value things (be it animal or inanimate) that didn't cost them anything.

Life happens and sometimes the horses have to go and fast. I have a friend in that situation, she has some beautifully bred full sized horses and needs to move a bunch of them in preparation for leaving her verbally abusive husband. I have told her she would be actually better off giving them away than taking them to a sale as she would be in the hole after getting coggins, health certificates, consignment fees, and the time and fuel to transport them.

If I were in the market for a full sized horse, I would grab one, but I have to be realistic and not do that.

Now, we just have to find good homes for them like yesterday.

Hubby and I have had this discussion about how he'd like to "downsize" and he'd "just give them" to someone. I won't give my horses away while I'm still breathing because I don't think that people value things (be it animal or inanimate) that didn't cost them anything.
Ah, but that depends on WHO you give them to! We have been given several horses in the past few years, and we value them immensely! One is a Reserve National Grand champion driving horse (which we put on him), and two others are his get- a gelding and a mare. The gelding is the most willing fella you'd want to meet and will be taught to drive this year, and the mare is in our broodmare herd. I was also given a pyscho killer Shetland mare, who I traded because she was way too much for me and I knew it (with full disclosure that she WAS crazy!) and got a AMHR filly who I adore.

I'm with you, I personally place a much higher value on my horses. Don't care what anyone has to say about that. Some of these auctions just make your heart sink. I have often thought about a gelding clinic too. I think the vets would also gain from it in the end. We do not breed to sell but I feel obligated not to breed until the production of minis decreases immensely and the demand increases. Breeding responsibly means that you do intend to care for that foal, for perhaps his entire lifetime, in the event that you cannot sell him, or do not choose to sell at all. My personal max is 10, and my workload and the horses health is usually best when I own 8 or less.

Supporting (most) auctions often becomes a punishment to responsible breeders. I have checked out a few "sales" in the past and I'm thankful to have stifled the urge to bid. I do not personally support them because it is often enabling over-breeding/mills, and irresponsible breeding. I feel this love/hate about animal shelters for the same reasons.

Latest posts

Back