First Aid Kit...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ali

Reaction score
I was just in the barn when I thought about my First Aid Kit for the horses. Thought perhaps I should update it and wondered what you may have in yours that I might be missing. Emergency contact info and all horses names and birthdates and all feed amounts are in tack room. I have:

To date: 1 rectal thermometer (string attached)

several leg wraps and gauve rolls

blankets, peroxide, alcohol (brandy too
biggrin.gif
)

clean rags, blow dryer, small vacuum, flashlight,

I store Bute in the hose for my full size, what am I suppose to have for my mini's...I know it's suppose to be something else????

For the mini's: small blankets, baby socks for poulticing, baby washcloths, vaseline

gauze, small bottles of brandy
wacko.gif

Any suggestions?

I'm putting anything else suggested and necessary on my wishlist.
yes.gif

I'm so happy you started this thread!!
aktion033.gif

I just had a mini accident and I'm so not prepared. I had to email a friend for her advice. I can't wait to hear what we need for our emergency first aid kits!

Leya

I have a first aid kit that I carry in a Large Plastic Tool Box. I have

Rectal Them.

Stethascope

Powder Anti-botics (To start immed.)

Bute (Paste) - Banamine (Injection) - Horsey Aspirin (Powder)

Peroxcide and Betadine

Wound Salve, and wound Kote (Spray Can)

Gauge Bandages, Rolled Gauze and Rolled Cotton Bunting

1 Full Size Leg Wrap (Can cut)

scissors and a Knife with serated edges

Flashlight (The new kind that you just shake,,, never needs batteries)

Suture Kit, (Not recommended for weak stomachs)

Epson Salt (In plastic Baggy so it does not draw Moisture)

Empty Spray Bottle (For flushing wounds)

Bottle of Scarlet Oil, (Medical and Deters Flys from Wounds) Smells Bad

and about 4 rolls of Vet WRAP !!!!!

Thats all I can think of right off hand, since I'm at work. Hope this helps and I will watch so I can update mine too ! I created mine for a Big Horse which I will no longer have that was injured at a Horse Show getting out of the Trailer.

I was really amazed, that there was like 100 other trailers and exbitors and NO ONE had any First AID !!! OMG
no.gif

that there was like 100 other trailers and exhibitors and NO ONE had any First AID
That doesn't surprise me a bit.. I have had animals of all kinds now for 40 some years and never have but a few things around even when I was showing. And basically that is just tetanus type shots, and wound spray that is about all I have ever have and carry nothing to shows or trail rides etc..

We have been talking about this in my animal science class room. I realized I don't have one and I am collecting things for it.

How about saline solution? Prefferably in a squirty bottle for hard to reach places!

We also keep in a cupboard a big bottle of Gentle Iodine and a big jug of Mineral Oil.

We have both a cooking gravy baster and some 60cc syringes to administer mineral oil.

I also love having Nolvasan and try to keep a squirt bottle of that.

If you can, try to get SMZ either in powder form or tablets from your vet. It's a good mild anibiotic to keep around too.

MA

Tiffany:

I really like the book "First Aid For Horses", by Dr. Eleanor Kellon. She is a VMD who on a personal level, has really helped me out with my horses.

First Aid For Horses

Liz R.

heres what we have

thermometer

mineral oil

vaseline

wound heal

gloves

karo syrup

probios

scissors

small water bottles with ends cut off for resisitating foals (bad sp) thank you ginny for that awesome hint

Nolvasan

banamine

bute

penicilan

powdered anitbiotics

pepto bismal

enemas

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I, thankfully, have not required an emergency kit but with all the postings I've read on this board, thought it a good idea to up-date.

Dr. Kellon's Guide to First Aid for Horses is now on my wishlist along with a poster of equine anatomy for Dummies.

Thanks
saludando.gif

well thank god my vet lives at the back door of were my horse lives, but i carry the essentials ,just in case, great thread!
aktion033.gif

Doesn't anyone remember??? The lady whose mini was bit in the nose by a snake. She was able to grab the tube from her fish tank and shove it up the nose. When the nose became swollen, the horse could still breath. She said, every single mini first aid kit needed some aquarium hose. I'll never forget that story. I was so touched. As I remember the horse had an adorable name too.

Well, prays that no one needs their super duper first aid kits.

God Bless,

Lynn W

This is what we carry when we travel, we have other stuff at home available as well.

Saline solution for cleaning wounds/eyes.

Vaseline for lube (buy at the dollars store and throw away if contaminated)

thermometer

nolvason

non-steroidal eye ointment

Pepto

mineral oil

banamine

syringes 3cc-60cc

vet wrap

baby wipes in ziplock baggie

clean rags

garbage bag

rubber gloves

cotton balls/pads

duct tape

scissors

packing knife

Extra halters/lead ropes

gallon of water

Camera to record injury/accident

I don't give any antibiotics, etc., without a vets advice.

Latest posts

Back