Foaling Ideals to share with everyone foaling first aid

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
Hey

Since we are in foaling season now.I was thinking it would be great to share with everyone what all you have for foaling mare and foals.

i came across this email from my old email from 06

I was going to share what they had send me.

Share with us where you get your ideals from as well.

Discussion Forum: Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal: Foaling First Aid Kit??!!

> ------------------------------------------------------------

>

> Posted by Kathee McGuire on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 01:25 pm:

>

> Elena, I copied this for myself a couple of weeks ago. It is from

> someone else's post so I can't take credit:

> I have all my stuff in a backpack on the wall by the barn door. It

> includes..

> two towels

> Pro-biotics

> Iodine/medicine bottle( for dipping the cord)

> enimas

> vet wrap

> suction bulb

> sharp rounded scissors/knife

> camera

> exam goves(the ones that go over your elbow, here is a hint from my

> vet, turn them inside out so that the seam does not rub on the mares

> soft tissues but is touching YOUR arm instead, this is what he does

> too)

> K-Y jelly

> Blessed is the Broodmare STAYS at my table in the barn as its always

> there no matter what!!

> adn a large WISKEY BOTTLE..heheheheLOL just joking there,,

>

>

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wub.png

Instead of trying to juggle your cell phone, use one of those bluetooth ear thingys instead. Your hands are free & you don't have to worry about dropping or trying to balance your phone.

Great list, be sure to have on hand oytocin, banimine, equidone and an ob handle and strap. Umbilical clamps or bailing twine, or umbilical tape, or sutures.

I would also keep some form of calcium on hand, had a pregnant mare get "thumps" two years ago, scared me good! I now keep tums with calcium in the barn, and also liquid calcium. It's an easy thing to treat if you catch it right away and have it on hand, seems to be more common in Minis, from what I heard from other breeders.

I am trying to get a foaling kit put together for my mare who is due in april or may

thanks

Share what you put the foaling kits in.

i found this on this site http://www.smallesthorse.com/resources/foaling_kit.htm

[SIZE=18pt]Foaling Kit Checklist[/SIZE]

Submitted by: Leslie and Tony Cunningham (TLC Miniatures)

[SIZE=12pt]I cannot stress enough the importance of being in attendance when your mare foals, just be there!! [/SIZE]

I gather all this up and put it in one area. As much as possible in big zip-lock bags & the rest in a zippered, insulated cooler (dust proof)

Barn:

Braid the mares’ tail to keep it out of the way

[SIZE=12pt]Remove any black items from foaling stall (such as buckets, feeders, etc.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Betadine or other gentle, antiseptic soap[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shoulder length gloves[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Latex or plastic gloves[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Heat lamps up and working[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Flashlight[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Clock with second hand, visible from foaling stall[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cordless phone[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]*Emergency numbers & home numbers of all vets in area[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4 clean bath towels[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2 clean wash rags[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Buffered Iodine or other antiseptic (for umbilical stump)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Digital thermometer[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Diaper wipes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cotton balls[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sterile twine from two feed sacks (soaked in alcohol, for cord & placenta)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Large Scissors[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Doggie sweater[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Trash bag, feed sack or bucket for placenta[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Tablet & pen - To record time of every event of 1st hrs – overall first impression, temp, respiratory, standing, nursing, pooping, peeing, etc. Do not try to rely on your memory – you’re too excited!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Evenflo Portable Breast Pump[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]House: [/SIZE]

Banamine (1cc IM per 100 #’s)

[SIZE=12pt]Oxytocin (1½cc IM per 100 #’s)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Syringes & needles[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]*Emergency & home numbers of all vets in area[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Fleet infant enema (nuke 4 seconds)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]here is another site i came across http://www.theminiaturehorse.com/article/foalingkit.htm[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Our Recommended Foaling Kit

Birthing.jpg
[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Even though it is really cold outside, it's still almost Spring! Spring is a beautiful time of year when you can start smelling the flowers, the trees start to blossom, and your miniature horses start to foal!

Although, some vets recommend you to help foal your miniature horse in an equine hospital, it's not required unless your mare had problems in the past. All you need is a Foaling Kit! Below is our recommendation to help deliver a foal.

If you prefer to use a vet, make sure you have phone number and alternate phone numbers in a safe place on your barn wall.

Have a clock or watch to keep track of the passing time.

Make sure to have a vet wrap for the mare's tail so it doesn't get messy or in the way. A lot of people will also braid the tail so it's easy to get out of the way.

Have a bucket with warm soapy water and lots of paper towels to clean the mare's hindquarters.

Make sure to have sterile sleeves and gloves for when you help pull the foal out, and Novalsan solution for naval. You will also need a small container for Novalsan solution to dip the naval in.

Have handy a pair of sterile scissors and blunt-tipped sterile scissors.

Lamb puller or a 2-3/8" diameter x 3 foot long ropes for hoof pulling.

J-Lube or KY Jelly. You will need a sterile pail, tubing, and 400ml - 600ml dose syringe for the J-Lube application.

NOTE: If you use J-Lube, keep in mind that is toxic to your mare if she has a c-section or any other surgical procedures, so be sure to inform your veterinarian, so they are careful to not spill any into the body cavity. This product is safe for use in the uterus.

You will also need a Baby nostril cleaner, nylon fishing line to tie off the umbilical cord, head lamps and baby blankets, a thermometer, Banamine paste for the mare (do not administer this until after she has passed the placenta. Administration prior to placenta passing may hinder explusion of placenta), flashlight with extra batteries, a cordless phone or cell phone, Baby Fleet's enema or use 1/2 adult dose, Mylicon drops for gas colic, and a baby bottle.

Good luck!

who has this kit http://www.minitack.com/KKFK.htm

Miniature Horse and Pony Foaling Kit # KKFK

KKFK1ws.jpg
ClickL1.jpg

Foaling Kit

In just one bucket you have tons of necessary items for your newborn foal & mare.

8 quart plastic bucket w/ resealable dust cover containing: scissors, thermometer, probias, Micro E selenium, 70% alcohol , hydrogen peroxide, controlled iodine spray, 2 vet wraps , Betadine solution, mineral oil, 2 nipples, gloves, garbage bag.

*[SIZE=10pt]Make sure you give your foal & mare the appropriate shots, see your local vet. [/SIZE]# KKFK $ 58.00

I Wanted to know if anyone has this kit?

i found another site http://www.miniatureventures.com/foalingkit.html

[SIZE=18pt]HORSE FOALING KIT[/SIZE]

.If you are a breeder, you want to keep a kit full of the necessary supplies at hand so you don't have to think about where certain items are when it comes time for your mare to foal. We at Miniature Ventures try to keep our foaling kit supplies separate from our horse first aid kit so there is a lot of duplication of supplies. At least that way, you know you have everything there and spares if necessary. The idea for this kit came to us originally from our mentors, Larry and Joanne Ross of Scott Creek Farm years ago at a foaling clinic they sponsored. We have passed this idea and the kit contents to many breeders around the world since we first learned of it. Remember, this is based on our experience.

Your foaling kit can be as simple or elaborate as you wish it to be as long as you have the following basic items. We keep ours in a Rubbermaid tub ready to grab at a moment's notice.

7% iodine or betadine with film cannister to dip foal's umbilical stump. We use a squirt bottle with our iodine mixture.

Sharp scissors or knife to cut umbilical cord if necessary

Cord (we use a piece of baling twine) to tie off umbilical cord if it is necessary to cut it.

Bucket (clean) to mix an antiseptic solution to wash hands/arms/mare's vulva or udder

Some sort of lubrication (we use NoveLube but Vaseline/KY Lube will work if necessary) to lubricate hands to go in mare to reposition foal (we have even heard of folks successfully using dishwashing liquid).

Gloves - Rubber Medical.

Towels

Breast pump (to pump colostrom out of udder to "jumpstart foal" or feed a "slow foal". This can be a 60 CC syringe with the tip cut off and plunger inserted "backwards"). We rarely use one of these as it is easier for us to just "milk" the mare when the time comes.

Syringe to feed foal (we use a child's ear syringe for this) if necessary. A regular syringe will work, a syringe with a tube connected to it would be better.

Cup to capture milk from mare: We like to have a cup that is marked with liquid amounts, that way we're not guessing how much colustrum the foal is getting.

2 Child Fleet Enemas

Ivermectin (we worm our mares as soon as they foal)

Banamine (paste or liquid) to help mare with pain of contractions after foaling.

Vitamin E/Selenium (if your area is low in the mineral selenium content. This helps foal's who may have white muscle disease--in the Pacific Northwest, this is a real problem). We give 1/4 cc to our mini foals and 1/2 cc to our pony foals. Check with your vet!)

Pull straps in case there is difficulty getting foal out of mare...ours are 1/2" nylon webbing strap with "d" rings sewn on. Even baling twine will work if necessary. The foal WILL be wet and slippery so it's nice to have the help if necessary.

Disinfectant Solution We use Betadine but Iodine will work as well. We mix the product in the bucket with warm water.

Thermometer

Stethoscope

Watch

Plastic Bag to put placenta in.

Halter and Lead for mare if necessary

Vet Wrap to wrap mare's tail prior to foaling if you wish to do this.

CELL PHONE or Phone Extension that works in Barn/stall/shed

White Board or notebook to record statistics like birth time/when it stands/when it nurses/amount of colostrom given and time if this is done

Veterinarians' phone numbers in case of emergency.

Phone number for access to Frozen Colostrum if necessary.

Ginia from the forum gave me this trick years ago

Take a small water bottle and cut off the big end. Cover cut area with tape. If a foal is born not breathing put the cut end over the muzzle and breath air in thru the drinking part. This fits a mini muzzle perfectly and forces air better into the lungs. So we also have that in our foaling kit

Another item is the old fashioned cheap generic baby bottles. This is the only bottle I have found foals drink from easily

Thanks for the reminder.....time to go through my kit and make sure everythings there!!

I've added a couple of things this year. Last year had a foal that didn't want to breathe and despite CPR didn't make it. On the phone the vet gave me a few things to try to stimulate breathing. One was to take needle and poke and twirl it in the upper lip(accupuncture style). Another was to put a few drops of whiskey in the foals mouth. So now I have needles and one of those sample size whiskey's in my kit. I was leary of the "resucitator's" I had seen before but my vet showed me one I liked. It's actually a lamb resucitator. What I like is one side is suction....to get rid of secretions in nose/airway and the other side is the pump to give the breath. The mask form fits to the muzzle better than others I've seen. I also got a lamb puller to help snag legs. Otherwise it's towels, scissors, iodine, vet wrap, dental floss(to tie off cords if necessary), 20ml syringe that has been turned into a "milker", fleets enemas. I routinely give banamine and ivermectin wormer right after birth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the crazies medical kit ever. I have collected a ton over the years.

In the cart - bulb syringes In the house - banamine

mayo scissors oyctocin

ob blunt cut scissors epi

2 pairs hemostats lactated ringers

4 umbillical cord clamps per birth saline

umbillical tape IV sets

3.0 silk sutures probios

peri bottle dextrose

betadine srub seramune G

7% tinctured Iodine selenium s&e

chlorohexidine biosponge

ob handle and strap banked colostrum