What Should Be In A Emergency Mini Horse Vet Kit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy B

Reaction score
With the latest topic of the Copperhead bite, what do you recommend to have in your Mini Horse Emergency Vet Kit. I have obvious stuff, like: thermometer, stethoscope, needles & syringes, suture material, skin glue, wraps, vet wrap, gauze and packing stuff, enemas, Banamine, Bute, Ace, Iodine, Iodine Scrub, antibiotic ointment and Lidocane.

I do see I should add the tubing, and someone mentioned fish tank tubing which is a great idea!! Anything else specifically for miniature horses I am missing both OTC or by vet prescription?

Thank you!

Oh my gosh I have so much stuff, I'll probably forget to type something, but I'll give it a try. We have a fridge in the barn, from the vet, banimine, gastrogard, eye ointment (non-steriod) OTC pepto bismal, mineral oil, phillips milk of maganesia, metimucille, cough syrup, penicillin. In my emergency bucket, a roll of cotton, steril gauze swabs, 3cc, 5cc, and a 60cc syringe, should also have a 10cc but am out. alcohol, nolvisan, betidine, sanitary pads, vet wrap, bandaging tape, large gauze pads, thermomitor, dog leashes the kind that have a loop and can be slipped over a leg and taken off real quick, 3 of them just in case I need to loop one around the chin of a foal, sharp scissors, vetercin spray, furicin ointment, desitin ointment, bag balm, swat, and two leg wraps, have more but there are not in the large bucket. I also keep clippers handy just in case, saline solution, I've probably forgot a few thing, that dang bucket is heavy, but has saved many a horse.

These are the things in my vet box and foaling kit:

• Banamine injectible (which I dose orally)
  • Rompun
  • Syringes of Dormosedan
  • Equidone / Domperidone
  • Pepto Bismol
  • BioSponge
  • SMZ's
  • Tribressen Paste
  • Triple Antibiotic Eye Ointment
  • Probiotic Paste
  • Vitamin B Paste
  • Buffered People Aspirin (Buffrin) and Horse Buffered Aspirin Paste
  • Flavored Vitamin C Tablets
  • Nolvasan Scrub
  • Betadine
  • Fura Septin (sp) Salve
  • Lyme Dip (for rain rot)
  • Peroxide
  • Gator Ade / Power Ade (not in the kit but always on hand)
  • Big Dosing Syringe
  • Injection Syringes
  • Vet Wrap
  • Duct Tape
  • Stethescope
  • Surgical Scissors
  • Digital Thermometers
  • Baby enemas
  • Clean towels
  • Fleece foal blankets
  • Lubricant
  • Twine
  • Ivermectin
  • Book -- Miniature Horses: A Vetrinary Guide for Owners and Breeders

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an article today on Horse.com about and emergency kit for your horse.

This also brings up a question I have had, my vet was demonstrating injectable Banamine, and how to use it by injecting in the juglar vein? I have been lucky and never dealt with colic, yet. We have dodged that bullit by some small miracle. I had always thought for colic people used the oral form, but learned at this demo why that wouldn't work. Until miniatures, I always gave injections for vaccines and meds but I just am so lousy at it with the minis I gave up and let the vet give spring vaccines. I know I have to learn this but any tips, any failures, where and any other information on injectable Banamine?

Thanks, and my new vet is very comfortable giving clients what they need as did my vet in Arizona.

I know I have to learn this but any tips, any failures, where and any other information on injectable Banamine?
The best tip I know about injectable banamine is to dose it ORALLY. My vet practice recommends this because there has been so much experience with it causing abscesses when injected. It works fine orally w/o the risk of abscess. I've been dosing it orally for years and years. I do not think there's any benefit giving it as a shot vs. orally, and it's easier, too, to dose orally.

The best tip I know about injectable banamine is to dose it ORALLY. My vet practice recommends this because there has been so much experience with it causing abscesses when injected. It works fine orally w/o the risk of abscess. I've been dosing it orally for years and years. I do not think there's any benefit giving it as a shot vs. orally, and it's easier, too, to dose orally.

Agree with Jill. We've given liquid Banamine ORALLY for years too.... 1cc per 100 lbs. It doesn't take much longer to take affect than when injected.

Thank you, what a relief. I've seen what those neck abscesses can do to the horses tissue. Okay, oral always then.

My equine first aid kit (not really a kit at all, it's all stored in the appropriate places in the house) is pretty simple:

banamine

Pre-def 2X (corticosteroid for allergic reactions and other assorted ailments)

syringes & needles

mineral oil

penicillin (mostly for treating eye injuries)

Uniprim

saline

If needed there is pepto bismol and I could come up with bandaging materials

No poisonous snakes here so don't need anything for treating snakebite

Yes, I also have most the stuff you guys have mentioned except for Rompun which my vet told me that next time he is out he is going to leave me some. PLus that dog collar ideas for using instead of chains to pull a foal is a great idea too. What about if a mare starts showing signs of hyperlipidemia?

And for Banamine I give IV if I can, otherwise you can shoot it down the hatch. I have found that giving an IV shot to a mini is a bit of a challenge compared to large horses- If after a couple tries I do not get the vein, I give up and give orally or IM. There is an increased risk of a abscess if given in the muscle.

I've already posted, but I need to add, your vet is your best friend, have their number on speed dial or memorize the number, there are several things that are red flags, like eye injuries, colic, lamness, sever bleeding. Pleas don't hesitate to offer first aid, but always call your vet. They know best.

I actually have two kits, one trauma/first aid, and foaling kit..

I use a huge double unfolding tackle box I picked up from Academy for $19.00..

First Aid Kit

Hoof Pick

Luer Lock Syringes 1ML, 3ML, 5ML, 10ML, 35ML, 60ML

Needles - 18ga x 1", 20ga x 1", 22ga x 1", 18ga x 1 1/2", 20ga x 1 1/2", 22ga x 1 1/2"

Vacutainers

IV Drop Set - 15gtts and 10gtts

IV Solutions .09 Normal Saline

IV Caths 10ga, 14ga, and 18ga

Drugs = Banamine, Bute, Penicillin, Tetanus Antitoxin, Lidocaine, Vitamin B-complex, Vitamin C, Hippiron 20ML

Thrush Stop

Portex Stomach Tubes 2 sizes

Bandaging 2x2, 4x4, Gauze, Ab Pads, Vet Wrap.

Iodine

Betadine

Triple ointment

Large Vasaline

Fungasol Spray

Vetercyn Gel and Spray

Derma Clothe

Equine Height/Weight Tape

Thermaflex Liniment

Digital Thermometer

Stethoscope

Pepto

Malox

Heat Packs

Cold Pacls

Intubation Kit with several size ID Tube with Cuffs..

Pin Light

Wet Tape

Suture Kit

Steril Scalpel

Hand Pump

Tweezers

Blunt end scissors

Hemostats

Cotton Balls

Duct Tape

Latex Gloves large and small

This was right out of my First Aid/Trauma Kit, which I'm glad this topic came up because I found two items that were expired.. lol
default_smile.png

I do have a foaling kit that has different items in it specifically related to foaling, but most of time I will take both kits to barn..

Last edited by a moderator:
SNDFARMS- WOW! That is a complete vet kit to handle any emergency!! LOL!

So what meds should I have on hand if a mare starts showing signs of hyperlipidemia?

Has anyone said rubber gloves for icky stuff? And Dannon or Yoplait yogurt if you don't have any probios? Also I get them started fast on Tagament for ulcers.

And also Stay Free Mini Pads. They are super good for having to pack a bad injury and also perfect for founder issues.

And I do keep poltice around: anaphlagestimine (spelling is off)

Hypermelidia I think is a straight to the hospital type thingy because that is something that needs to be diagnosed but not possitive.

Back