Fingers crossed...crab season starts at midnight tonight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is snowing/raining, here, too.

A winter storm is generally not a problem for the maritime area, as in it's easterly and blows the ocean flat. The West/SW/NW winds bring up the seas.

Here's the update:

He called and they are on their way in from the first trip. They have a few thousand pounds of crab on board, got through half the gear. The engine's smoking badly, so it will need an oil change and filter change (something he did not get a chance to do before leaving, which he wanted to do, but didn't have time).

They are going to tie up to the cannery (probably one of the first deliveries of the season, ever) and go get something to eat. I'm going to bring him a towel and haul him over to the KOA in Hammond for a hot tub.

I think he's stressing out, even now.

The current started running so hard that the buoys went under water, so they had to stop for now. They think they will be able to run back out after about 6 hours in.

That's the news....!

Thanks, everyone, I'm glad he at least has this first trip under his belt.

Liz

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear the first trip is accomplished!!
default_aktion033.gif
I hope that the oil change and all goes smoothly and the weather clears enough for them to make a safe second trip out.
default_yes.gif

At least things are working, to a degree, and NEXT year he can be fully prepared plenty ahead of time.
default_smile.png

Man, it is a very hard way to make a living. Especially the crabbing part as it is done when it is so blasted cold and stormy out.

Glad his first trip out was a success. I am sure the hot tub will feel good. I am sure they are chilled through and through.

phew!!!! i know youll not be happy until hes on dry land safe and sound, my husband goes out on his boat my hearts in ,y throat untils hes back, it can be scary stuff,

goodluck!!

i always watch and funny enough every time its on i think of you!

I hope everything goes smoothly for them now! Man that's one heck of a job. How often will he be out at sea? These guys are a special breed!! God bless them and may they stay safe always.

What a brave guy and what a hard way to make a living..I understand why though as I was raised on the ocean(California), lived in Washington State, and feel akin to it.

I so admire what you are trying to do and hope it works out just great for you.

Maxine

Thanks, everyone, for following along. I'm sure all of this will become "old hat" but right now they are really on the ragged edge with such a small boat, one that's unprepared, etc.

The smoking issue (of the engine) turned out to be an air filter needing to be changed. The current one was all rusty and ONE teeny piece of rust could destroy the turbo on the engine, which would have been disastrous.

They all went and took hot tubs and fell asleep in the lounge chairs around the pool. Terry woke Martin up b/c Terry was snoring. *LOL* I took them towels and then went shopping.

Right now they are at the viewpoint looking at the river to decide if they want to go right now or go later after they get a little more sleep.

Liz

Ive been thinking about you .... I was raised from a fishing family and no how scary it can be.

Happy to read first trip went well
default_yes.gif

Yes! we are getting hit with an ugly Winter storm here in the NorthWest
default_no.gif

Sending your family good thoughts for good Crabbing and "Safe" Sail's ~ Teri

He called and they are on their way in from the first trip. They have a few thousand pounds of crab on board, got through half the gear.

he at least has this first trip under his belt.
I don't know anything about crabbing (is that even the right word?) but a few thousand pounds sound like a big haul!!
default_new_shocked.gif
And SO glad he's got the first trip in the books and everyone (and the boat!) got back in one piece!
default_yes.gif

Yep, Parmela, it's called "crabbing" and they are sidelined for the moment. Home sleeping, all three of them.

The air filter needs to be replaced and no filter to fit it is available in this county today.

SO!

That's it for the moment. There is a huge storm heading this way tomorrow, so if they dont' get in and out early, they probably won't for a few days.

I'll possibly lose power (very likely if it's as big as they're saying), but will go to town and update here or there.

L.

Oh my gosh Liz this is a hard living for sure but I guess he knows what he's doing.

I hope that boat is going to work out alright and all will be safe and warm.

You take care of you too in that storm.

Ive been coming in to see the updates, but I havent really had time to respond until now (other things going on here lately!
default_wink.png
) I am glad that Martin and crew got thru their 1st outing with no trouble and are back safely! Hopefully the filter being changed with be the end of anything that needs to be done and they can have a good season!! Let me know if I can "help" (ya know, with excess crabs you have lying around...lol)

Trudi is a cook...so she can cook me some yummy crab dishes!
default_yes.gif

I'm so glad they got to go out and got back in safely! I hope the storm isn't too bad and calms quickly so they can get back out as soon as a new filter is had!

Best of luck for the next trip and the whole season!

Dear Liz,

I have been watching and keeping my fingers crossed that the Gambler would start and work well for Martin. I will keep watching and hoping for a great crabbing season for you guys.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Robin

They are in, of course, for the storm, but also offline because they cannot find an air filter to fit this engine.

The more he works with the boat, the more he realizes how neglected it is, but he's maintaining a positive attitude and trying to keep moving forward.

Thanks, everyone!!! Having the first trip done is great, they just have to get into a groove. The boat's so far off of that, it's probably going to take a while.

Liz

Glad to hear the first trip went pretty well, Good luck on the rest of the season, Kathy

Liz, how are things on the coast??? Was your latest message that Martin

and his crew are safely in port, till this storm is over?

It is NASTY here and we're like 30 miles from the coast.....

Can hardly wait until the real heavy duty part of the storm hits - NOT!

It's definitely batten down the hatches weather!!!

Stay safe.

All the Pacific Northwesterners stay safe!!!!!!!!

Liz -

Sharon and I will keep you all in our thoughts ans prayers. Glad They aren't out in this wind. We drove limo last night from the coast at Gleneden Beach to Portland and back to the beach and it was pushing the cars around pretty good - and the heavy winds hadn't hit yet. Batten down the hatches. Tell Martin best of luck.

Mark & Sharon

Latest posts

Back