Finding info about adopted horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisam

Reaction score
I recently adopted a mini from a local Humane Society. They did not divulge any background on her, except for her age (which the vet said wasn't correct anyway). She looks almost exactly like one of my horses--her pinto markings are almost identical! I would like to find out more about her, to see if she is related to my girl. How do I go about doing so?

I personally would post adds on here, craigslist locally to you, and every other horse website with picks and all the info you have and ask folks "Do you know this mini horse?". Its a start and even if you dont find a past owner, maybe someone who knows a little about it that was a friend or family member.

I reciently saw a mini mare on craigslist that I reconized soon as I saw her. I used to know her prev owners and was her farrier 6 yrs ago. SO ya never know!
default_smile.png

I also saw a rescue group that picked up some big horses and stopped into my work (TSC) to get some trailer lights cause theirs quit working. I talked to the rescue members and as we got to talking about the horses. They said they had NO IDEAL about any of them except they where skinny and their sex. I took one look in the trailer and could identify all 6 of them and give a little history on them just because at one time yrs back, I worked at that farm and knew all the horses by heart still. (better then the owner!)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
so is she registered? I am guessing that if the teeth had to be seen by a vet to determine age that there is no papers??? I dont think that there is any way of finding anything out about her past unless she is registered

She was offered for adoption with no papers, or details about the seizure. There were a number of minis seized by Pierce County Humane Society in WA State.

My vet thinks she's around ten or eleven years old. She is also pregnant. Should I get a photo to post here?

Photos would be great, especially because she's a pinto. There's a chance (probably very small -- but still a chance!) that someone here will actually know who that horse is
default_yes.gif

Yes, please get a photo. I live in the Northwest. When did you get her ?

If you are in that area where she was seized from talk to other horse owners in the area.Many horse owners know each other and their animals even if it is not the same breed.Equine owners are most often ready to talk about their animals and be very helpful to others no matter what the breed.Try posting a photo of your Mini at a feed store in the area where she came from.If you don't live close use google to find feed dealers send them a note with your request and a photo.Most feed and tack stores have a bulletin board &would be glad to help.give as much info as you can to help in your search.Good luck-the equine world is smaller than you think

Latest posts

Back