filly almost fainted

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
We have a yearling filly that has gingivitis, as part of her treatment I am supposed to flush her gums twice daily with warm salt water. She was just fine while having her mouth examined, but when I went to flush her the first time, she acted like she was going to go down, it was as if she was dizzy and her legs started to buckle. If she wasn't up against the wall I think she would have gone down. I immediatley let go of her halter and she shook her head and came around. Has anyone ever had a foal faint? She has been fine with the flushing since, but this scared the day lights out of me.

Agree with Mary Lou. I've had several horses do that over the years if their head is lifted too high. It pinches a nerve in their neck in too high of a position. Scary, but they are ok as long as the horse doesn't fall and hurt itself.

I don't have any advise on the "fainting", but I just have to ask...how did you know your horse had gingivitis?? I've never heard of that in a horse.

It most likely was due to the position of the neck. The same thing can happen if their chin is pushed tightly into their chest. On another note, when flushing the mouth be careful not to have her head elevated as the risk of aspirating the flushing solution into her lungs is higher. The more you can lower the head to the ground the safer the flushing procedure is.

Gingivitis and other periodontal disease is fairly common in horses. There are many different causes.

Oh my Gosh! That is exactly what I was doing, I was lifting her head to see into her nouth to insure I flushed the right area. Since then I put her in the cross ties and let her keep her head low so the solution will flow back out.

As to the question of how did I know? She was in the round pen with anouther filly and got kicked in the side of the face, so when I was checking her mouth I noticed that there was a red inflamed area around her lower front teeth, and a odor that was not normal. The Vet said gingivitis, and she will be checked again next week to see if any teeth need to be pulled as it also looks like she is getting her wolf teeth in too close to her incisers.

Thanks for the info!

That sounds like a safer way to do it. It is not as risky if you are just flushing the incisors. Her wolf teeth are coming in too close to her incisors? Are you sure you are not looking at her canines?

I've had that happen too, scared the heck out of me. I was deworming and held her head, not up high, just enough so that I could see what I was doing(she's only 27") Now I'm very careful about how high I lift her head, I definitely do not want a repeat of that.

My filly did that (faited) I was freaken out
default_new_shocked.gif
. So we asked the vet about it and he said that it was "wobblers syndrom". I don't remember all the details, but ask your vet about it. My vet said it was not that serious, but if you want more info just ask your vet.

I had a colt that did that all the time....he has outgrown it and is fine!

Scared the livin daylights out of me though... I thought for a long time he had a neurological problem, til I told someone (a mini owner) and found it was not that uncommon!

That sounds like a safer way to do it. It is not as risky if you are just flushing the incisors. Her wolf teeth are coming in too close to her incisors? Are you sure you are not looking at her canines?
Your right, they are her canines, there was also food stuck inbetween and causing the odor.

Latest posts

Back