fencing material

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montana

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and new to minis...I have two big horses and have always had big horses. I just purchased my first minis - two 6 month old fillies. My question has to do with fencing materials for minis. I know my barbless wire fence for the big horses won't even begin to hold the little ones in. Also, as I live in northwestern Montana in the forest, we have predators such as coyotes, lions and bears around close, and I want to be sure the little ones are safe. Any ideas/suggestions would surely be appreciated as I have to build a pen/pasture fence and shelter for the babies before I can bring them home! Also, on their registration papers, the colors put down don't seem to fit the babies. I actually can't say exactly what color they are, sort of all different kinds of colors. Just wondering if that's important? Thanks anyone and everyone who replies.

wow!!!

im thankful to say we don't deal with predators of that sort, the most we worry about is a stray dog might come around.

we converted from full size horses and left our electric wire fence up and strung electric tape fencing in between it looks nice from far away.

we do have an area for mares and foals with no climb horse fence

i hope someone who is used to your problem can answer you better

i doubt that our answer will help

but welcome to the forum :saludando:

Lori

I wouldn't have anything but field fencing. It does help keep the predators out and the minis in. A predator of course can get in anything if they are that determined, but atleast it makes it a bit more difficult. I also use hot wire on it too. Some of my fields I have hot wire about 1 foot on the bottom, then half way up, then along the top so my quarter horse doesn't lean over and smash it down.

As far as the colors go, don't worry just yet. They surely look a whole lot different when you clip them off in spring. Then, they'll probably match up to what their papers say. Got one here that looks pukey brownish in the winter but when I clip her in the spring, she's grey. They will do that too you and mess with your mind.

We just have a small place, and we have a combination of heavy guage (that's important) field fencing and cattle panels. I prefer the cattle panels but didn't really know about them when we did most of the fencing years ago. We have been replacing sections of field fencing w/ the cattle panels. All of our fencing (field fencing and cattle panels) are on oak posts (half round).

I like both the heavy guage field fencing and the cattle panels because the minis cannot squeaze through the fence and it keeps most types of "big" animals out.

For fencing, we have tried just about everything on the market. What we like most is cattle panels and T posts. It is easy to install and provides the most protection. We also have a single strand of hot wire to keep the horses OFF the fence (ie two stallions) and to prevent them from doing the full body rub on the panels when they are shedding.

The colors in miniature horses are very confusing due to the SILVER gene. The SILVER gene is predominant in shetlands and miniatures. Silver causes the genetically black hairs to become a charcoal silvery color. Silver is considered a dilution-gene and also dulls down the coat color in general like a washout effect. Silver is responsible for all of the whitish silvery manes that you see in miniatures. Originally those manes would have been black. Silver also makes those pretty dappled steely gray ponies with the stark white manes and tails. This is the type of dapple gray that does not get whiter with time, but stays the same true color for the horse's lifetime. Just remember, when you see the whitish silvery to charcoal grey mane or tail color, strongly suspect silver at work.

Welcome,

I agree with Jill on the fence.

But remember to put them inside at night. Montana is my home state.

We run cattle,horses, and a huntingcamp. With the wildlife you have there,

you should keep them in at night.

Cattle panels with a hotwire at the top, but you can not make it BEAR or LION proof, so please put them in at night.

Mike

Latest posts

Back