Fencing, barns etc

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PonyKnit

Reaction score
Saving for my first mini next spring and have been gathering up as much info as possible. So, anyone use fence panels? The kind that don't bend easily. Which kind is better, cattle, sheep, pig? Best height? How about 34"? Like this: http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/226552-hot_dipped_1_4_galvanized_fence_panel.html?lref=%2ffarm_livestock%2ffence%2ffarm_garden%2flivestock_panels%2f#.TqjwrCp5mSM

I also plan to have a 3 sided shed, easiest to build/buy? Can i use the calf huts? Will eventually plan to have a small barn built.

Pics of everyones fences, barns, sheds?

I take it I will need to fence around tree trunks?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum from Italy
saludando.gif
Also welcome to the wonderful world of mini's. There are a few things that you should know before you buy one. Firstly the y don't do well alone and 1 is never enough so be prepared to get at least 2 and even though they are very small they can take up a big piece of your heart so look out (jealous hubby / boyfriend etc)
new_rofl.gif

Now down to fencing, I prefer electric tape as they will put their head through a panel to eat the outer grass and ruin their manes
no.gif
My shelter was built by hubby in wood and steel and is way too big for mini's but it was already there from my riding horses. I only use the barn when it snows as we can get over a meter of snow and I would loose them
new_shocked.gif

I have 2 shelters per field. (sorry about the terrible photo of me, I had a baby 3 days before this )

group049.jpg

My fencing

group006.jpg

I currently have cattle panels and field fence but am working on replacing it with the horse panels from Tractor Supply. They are 2" x 4" squares,4ft tall and 16 ft long. The holes are smaller than cattle panels and they can't get their heads through it.

My barn is constructed of used lumber and pallets. I used the pallets for the outside walls with tin on the outside and laminate sheets or plywood on the inside. The posts are 4x4 and the roof is tin and the plastic panels that are used on carports to allow natural light into the barn.

The total cost of building my 6 stall barn was less than $400. Most of the expense was the 4 x 4's and nails and hardware. I built the stall gates out of 3x4 pallets that I took apart and took the spacers out then put them back together. I've had this barn now for several years and it is an ongoing project. I am getting ready to add another 6 stalls to it as soon as I get time.

Good luck! You might as well go ahead and get at least 2, I am up to 8 and don't intend to add any more for awhile.

Mary

Yes I will eventually have two, but plan to at least have a goat for companionship.

Mary, I'd love to see pics of your "pallet barn!" I've seen websites with all sorts of things you can do with pallets, I'm totally inspired!

Angie

Heres my little run in lean-toos i built (well my dad built) for my horses.

They cost aprox $100-$150 each

6x8 4 sided

cant remember what is all involved as far as materials, just 2x4's and 1/16 plywood.

As for my fencing, 4ft tall x 330ft long cattle fencing $169.99 at TSC. Tee posts and wooden corner posts and 4-6 ft gates that way either ur push or ridding mower can fit to mow the weeds ur mini dont eat.

100_2825.jpg

100_2824.jpg

100_2826.jpg

Here is an attractive pallet shed that anyone, no matter how unhandy, could build. The directions and photos are simple and clear.

http://www.oklahomahistory.net/palletshed.html

As for fencing, I would want something higher than 34 inches -- your mini may have a proclivity for jumping, or he/she may just surprise you when green grass or fright motivates them. My 38" gelding popped over our 48" fence from a standstill, so don't underestimate them.

Keep in mind that cattle panels (not sure about the horse panels) have sharp, rough points on all of the edges. Make sure these are covered or securely out of reach of both your horses AND you -- ask me how I know...

We have one corral with 48-inch no-climb plus hotwire top and bottom, and the second corral done in 48-inch welded wire plus hotwire top and bottom. With hotwire, each has worked very well, but the welded wire only works on level ground and the hotwire is ESSENTIAL (otherwise they'll rub and push and break the welds). With either, get the fence tight and keep the horse off. Sounds counterintuitive to protect the fence from the horse, but it's the way to avoid putting up your fence again and again and...

I use cattle paneling and then put mesh garden fencing along the bottom so legs and heads can't get through. Pig/sheep paneling doesn't work as the horses can jump right over them. I use calf huts in my smaller pens and they are really great. Fits 2 minis perfectly and it stays really warm in the winter and fairly cool in the summer. My stallions love them, but when it gets to be about 20 below or so I put them in my big barn because it's warmer and shelters better. So depending on how cold it gets where you are, the calf huts could work by themselves. If you get temps below -20 then you'll probably want something a little warmer.

I buy rolls of redbrand no climb horse fencing 2x4 inch squares I think. Works for me. I put up posts, tack on the fencing and have been very pleased. I run a strand of wide white electric tape on the inside using those insulated keepers, to keep them off the fence and use a solar fencer to electrify the tape. I have a paddock with pea gravel for loafing and a run in shed that I bed up like a stall.

Welcome from SE pa. Minis are like potato chips, you just can't have one.

PS. I also put down rubber mats around the hay and feeding areas on top of the pea gravel. My pea gravel is about 4 inches deep, sure makes nice feet.

Two main things to remember. No barbed wire EVER and no uncapped T Posts EVER. I just heard today, of another famous horse, who is now in danger of losing his life, after jumping a fence and being impaled on an uncapped T post.

Try to always have your horses where you can view them at all times from the house. Horse stealing in on the rise and horses spend their entire lives, trying to think up ways to injure themselves and make their owners crazy.

Lizzie

Latest posts

Back