Felony now in Okla. for floating teeth

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there were grumblings here in the state even years ago....

I am VERY sorry to see this happening, and SandraL I think the examples you gave right there in your post is a GREAT way to start!!! That is a classic example that the vets have NO idea what is going on in regards to equine dental care, and dont really care to. Shucks, just shoot it, or spend $1000 to see that it didnt shed it's caps!!! GOOD GRIEF!!!

This is ridiculous. Even folks here have written to TX and Mr. H there to voice our opinions on the ridiculous act they are trying to pull here.

Carl comes out here annually and has done my horses for years and I dont WANT anyone else doing mine. Our vet specializes in Minis and in equine breeding, etc... and has not done teeth for years- she recommends a dentist because they KNOW what they are doing! The other vets dont touch Minis and dont care to, and do not do a great job on horses because I had a big horse done that still had issues eating even after the vet came. Had to have someone else come in and take a look - so cost me a LOT more than what it should have and they didnt have the know how!

I am SO disappointed........ Sandra L, I have posted your info on our state Mini group here- hope you dont mind but I feel this is very important to all of us!

Ok for those about this I have found out that the American journeymans farrier union wants all farriers to be certified by them now also. And to trim the minis like i do i would have to take their test and hot shoe horses. What good is that?

The new law covers equine massage and chiropratic is also on the dentristy law.

So in the future i might have to be called a MINIATURE HORSE PEDICURIST

This is getting stupid

most vets wont do the dentistry or the hooves

can someone tell me where to send emails or letters?

and we will start sending them

dawn

Dawn, there was a big hoohaw here about the farriers too at the same time.... I will have to contact my friend who was involved who was my farrier back then to see where this went. I am sure it will rear it's ugly head again. He had a very hard time getting support from other farriers ('Oh, that will never happen to make use get a license')

Well it's happening and I shudder to think where all this is going........

Hey i have an idea maybe i should start my own mini farrier union and certify myself and anyone else.
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting

just a thought lol

dawn

Hey i have an idea maybe i should start my own mini farrier union and certify myself and anyone else.
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting
just a thought lol

dawn
Terrific idea! I love creative thinking, thinking out of the box............Good Going!!!!!!

Yep, farriers, equine massage therapists, etc - I don't think anyone is immune to this. The government is determined to protect us from ourselves........
default_wacko.png

Absurd to require a mini farrier to hot shoe - there ought to be an exemption or special clause for small equine or unshod equine.

Jan

Yep, farriers, equine massage therapists, etc - I don't think anyone is immune to this. The government is determined to protect us from ourselves........
default_wacko.png
Absurd to require a mini farrier to hot shoe - there ought to be an exemption or special clause for small equine or unshod equine.

Jan
I have an e-mail that I just sent to Mr. McGrath of the Institute for Justice. I have asked him what we need to do and who we need to contact. As soon as I get a reply I will post it.

Please feel free to use anything I have said to help a horse and their cause.

I talked with Mr. McGrath this morning, we did a 3 way call to Brian Renegars office. His secretary claimed she knew nothing. Mr. McGrath asked for the statute no. and the wording of the law. She is suppose to call him back with the info. As soon as I hear from him I will let ya'll know.

I don't know if everyone noticed this from my earlier post. Carl Mitz will not be at AMHR Nationals in 2009 doing any teeth for anybody. I talked with him tonight to see if he could give us in help in Okla. The only way you will get anything done to a minis teeth at Nationals is with a Veterinarian.

This is good news Sandra, please keep up informed.

Beth

i think this is such a load of bull... hate to see it happen but IF god forbid it does i think the people need to band together and start charging vets for any damage done to their animals (legally...anytime something happens make complaints with the vet boards and/or file suits). FORCE the vets to take farriering, dentistry, chriopractic classes before they are allowed to perform these procedures..yes they might have a vets lisence but they DO NOT all know how to do it correctly...therefore if something goes wrong then they should be held accountable.. ... they want it all their way then GIVE IT TO THEM only make it hurt badly if they mess up.

they don't want "lay people" (dentists ect) infringing on their profits..... maybe the people need to start demanding better service from the vets and infringing on profits by legal persuit when vets screw up..... i've personally found many vets are getting pretty cocky... charging huge sums for proceedures that are not difficult or costly. if they mess up they wont account for it ect.

I certainly agree that we should report negligent and incompetant Veterianary care to the Vet board. They must have accountability for the things they do. I am sure they must carry malpractice insurance, if they don't, they should.

I think that general thoughts is that "they just are animals" so it does not matter. That certainly is not the way I feel about it, especially at the prices they charge. I do not particularily want a Vet "practicing" Vet medicine on my horses. I feel they should be knowledgeable already. If the Vet board was aware of the malpractice of Vets I think they would tighten up on requirements for Vets to practice.

If they don't hear of any of the problems, they don't know any exist. It is our responsibility to let them know.

Frankly, I don't think we should be punishing vets for laws like these. It is a buearocrat-control thing. According to that DVM site that was on an earlier post, the Dept of Alcohol Firearms and Tobacco instigated the Oklahoma action. Why in the world would that busy-body office have any interest in the equine industry???

I called my local county extension agent and he had no clue about such a law. He said there were not enough large animal vets in Oklahoma as it is, and couldn't see what earthly good such a law would be to vets. They are already overworked. I need to follow up my call with him and see what he found out.

Also, have calls into my state legislators for informaiton. Their offices are researching it, as they had no idea about it. The whole thing seems way too mysterious and devious to me. We need to get the facts.

Just received this email this morning from our state senator's office. I have asked her what steps voters need to take to repeal this. My big questions, is why would the Dept of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms be interested in animals? Since it became a law so recently, why was it so hard to locate it? Maybe there are too many laws...

Marsha,

This legislation became law on November 1st, 2008. I’m sorry it took me a while to locate it.

Respectfully,

Pam

Pam McLerran

Executive Assistant to

Senator Tom Ivester

Oklahoma State Senate

[email protected]

405/521-5545

405/521-5617 fax

So is there anyone to contact and will it do any good for us "out of state" people to write to them? Let's face it; while the law affects us (out of state people) there is little we can do to affect the "elected" officials of another state.

Hope someone comes up with a plan!

Suppose the dentist isn't located in Oklahoma?

Suppose you had their teeth done by an equine dentist that was just passing through the state and lived in another state? Would that be illegal too?

Suppose the dentist isn't located in Oklahoma?
Suppose you had their teeth done by an equine dentist that was just passing through the state and lived in another state? Would that be illegal too?
Yes, that would be considered illegal and a felony.

I am waiting for the info from the lawyer to come in the snail mail. Please excuse me for looking like I am missing in action. I have a mare that down with colic. Will be Divine Intervention if she lives, I can't get a vet to come out. Gee, I wonder why.

Latest posts

Back