Feeding help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny1

Reaction score
I saw a friends small yearling colt(27 " or so) today for the first time and I need your opinions.... She has not had him long and he is slightly pot bellied and kind of unthrify looking, she did say he had gained a little weight but she also did not think he was looking as he should, she has one other mini and a big horse, both are fat and healthy. She is feeding everyone Safechoice. She is feeding the little guy 1/4 cup alfalfa pellets 2x a day and 1 cup of the Safechoice 2 x a day, The first thing I said was to switch him to a junior feed and add some beet pulp... Of course she knows to go slow and carefully. I don't think he is getting enough calories???? I said to work him up double on his grain and see how he does. And he has been wormed, that was the first thing she did, he has been seen by the vet but I don"t know what he said and it was right after she got him... I told her I would ask the Forum their thoughts???

My guess would be the previous owner didn't have him on a growth feed. I believe Safe Choice is 14% protein, so that and the alfalfa pellets along with time will likely bring him around. The changes won't be instant, but will come with time on appropriate feed. She needs to get a weight on the little guy, so she can feed him by weight and not just a cup of this and a cup of that. I don't have any body that small, not even as a yearling, since I have B-size minis, but as weanlings my smallest was 27" tall and 75# (a yearling this height will likely weigh more than a weanling as it'll be more filled out). I do know the growing youngsters can really put away the feed, and get fed at higher proportions than adults. Hopefully someone else on the board with A-size minis will come along and help you with more specific amounts. If he were mine, I'd probably up the amount of alfalfa pellets, even for a little guy a 1/4 cup isn't much. [My smallest adult is 31" and weighs 175#, he's a senior and gets 1-1.5# senior, and free choice chopped mix hay (about 1-2# is all he typically eats). a growing baby should get at least these amounts for a similar size, if not more.]

Perhaps he is having tooth troubles and is not able to maximize his feed.

But I do not think that is enough feed. Does he have access to free choice hay? If he is in with the other two horses, they may not be allowing him to eat.

He probably needs more protein - the Safe Choice itself is fine but he should have 14% TOTAL protein in his diet and it is rare that you can get that with mostly hay. Usually you need a ratio of about 70% "grain" to 30% hay to get that high unless your hay is really high protein. Alfalfa might do it but grass hay is usually about 10% protein. You can increase the grain slowly of course, and even consider adding some Calf Manna, which is 25% protein. Check out this link on our website for feeding weanlings:

http://www.ontargetminiatures.com/images/pdfs/Weanlings_care_feeding.pdf

Thanks guys, Myself, I don"t care for Safechoice , but I"ll pass the info along!!!!
I'm thinking the same thing here. I tried regular Safe Choice previously, couldn't get it locally, but picked up a bag when I was gone hoping it would work as a taste-tempter for a picky horse, it was ok for him, but no one else liked it. Last year, the local vet picked up a line of Nutrena products, including the new SC Special Care; I was needing to change feed for various reasons, thought it might be a good choice, and it was convenient. Nope, not a good choice. It works as a taste-tempter for the same picky horse; but 3 out of 6 mares got footy after going on it, took them off and they are all coming back around (so it must be the SC, not the hay).

How's his worming schedule? I'd also definitely increase his feed. He does need more protein. What and how much is he getting for hay? And, as Marsha said, check his teeth. He could have some points and/or if his bite is off, that could be an issue too.

Our youngsters are fed a 14% grain, approx. 4 cups each 2x a day, plus their hay. If they need more weight, we add alfalfa pellets (1/4" size) and the grain we use is a SENIOR brand, which is easy to digest and has extra fat content.

I know she said the vet had come,but don"t know if he recommended anything to do with feeding.... She did worm him as soon as she got him and again about a week later...he is getting free homie hay at the moment, she is going to up his ration and break his meals into 3x a day and give him another if he needs it....

That is free choice hay,LOL

Latest posts

Back